The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Shot timer apps?

Has anyone had any practical experience with them? Are there any that are worth trying? I'm primarily interested in Android, but I still have my late wife's iPhone 4 if there's an exceptional shot timer for the iPhone that's not concurrently available for Android.

I'm looking for timer apps that would work for IDPA and/or USPSA, not for timing bullseye or high power rifle competitions. I've found a number of apps that claim to be "the best" shot timer app, and I've downloaded a half dozen. Some of them leave me baffled right from the opening screen, so I hope someone can help out an aging technophobe.
Jeepaholic
Old March 1, 2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Sevens

I can offer a bit of help but not much. I wanted one that was -FREE- and simple and I use an iPhone, the one I snagged is simply titled “Shot Timer” by Innovative Applications.

It’s just about as simple as simple gets. If you are the only one on the shooting range then it works superbly and never misses a shot. Things go sideways when other shooters start gunfire because then you have to screw around with sensitivity and try to get the device to hear your shots and ignore ones not directly nearby.

For a totally free app, I would be ashamed to lodge any complaints. I’ve gotten a whole lot of use from a very stable, quality little app that is absolutely simple to use.

I doubt this old tech simple app is also available for Android (maybe it is?) but then again, if you have an old iPhone 4 that you aren’t using, having a second device just for this app might not be a bad thing.

You may get frustrated if you hope to use it on a busy gun range. You might also want more features and logging that this basic app doesn’t support.

But for a simple and free start, maybe it works for you.
Old March 7, 2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are a couple that come up for Android when I search on "Shot Timer." Does your app look like one of these?

https://appcrawlr.com/android/ipsc-shot-timer

https://appcrawlr.com/android/splits-shot-timer

https://appcrawlr.com/android/shot-timer-2
Jeepaholic
Old March 7, 2020, 11:10 AM   #4
David R

I had an Android timer that worked pretty good. I now have and I phone and purchased a shot timer app. It does not work if anyone else is shooting. I turned the sensativity to zero. It still picked up other shooters. If I was alone, it would be fine. A blue tooth is better so you can hear the BEEP.

David
Old March 15, 2020, 08:59 PM   #5
tmlynch

I have used IPSC Shot Timer on an Android phone.

To be fair, though, I was using it to time the ticks on a large wall clock as I was tuning the pendulum.

Worked great.

Good luck!
Tom