The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 4, 2020, 12:06 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Quote:
I entertained rechambering both of my .22-250s, but they shot so accurately and won so many turkey shoots that I didn't dare.
It happens. A guy here had one of the first run of Ruger 77 Swifts, supposedly with Douglas barrel instead of their usual Wilson contract or in house. He said it was so accurate that he did not spend barrel life on varmints or "centerfire plinking" but entered it in benchrest matches stockgun division. He reported winning several times the price of the rifle.
Old April 4, 2020, 07:40 PM   #27
bummer7

The rifle will still be chambered for 22-250 for the next few months. Given the opportunity, I will see about shooting it once I get the trigger group completed.
Thanks for the idea. its always good to hear what others suggest and are thinking.
Old April 5, 2020, 07:00 PM   #28
armednfree

Go to Preferred Barrel Blanks and pick your poison among the Remage selection. that and a set of headspace gauges is all you need.

https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/
Old April 5, 2020, 09:20 PM   #29
bummer7

much appreciate the link to preferred barrel blanks. I never heard about this company until now.
I admit I have been getting one heck of an education on this forum.
Old April 6, 2020, 12:38 PM   #30
Picher

If you keep the wood stock, I encourage you to free-float the barrel...about 3/32" from at least a couple inches ahead of the recoil shield. Then, install epoxyed-in pillars at each action screw and glassbed the action. I make my own pillars using steel from a (shopping center?) hardware store's 1/2"-tubing/shaft material (available in the rack where the threaded shafts are also located).

There's lots of information on bedding on the 'net. If you make an error, it's easy to fill-in voids after removing the metal and touching it up. For release compound, I like neutral paste shoe polish. It can be applied very thin and it works well.
Old April 7, 2020, 02:35 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you keep the wood stock, I encourage you to....
SHOOT the rifle before you decide anything else.

Sometimes, the extra work isn't needed...
Old April 7, 2020, 12:46 PM   #32
bummer7

For sure I plan on shooting the rifle first before I do anything to it. My initial plan is to find and buy the missing parts and shoot it to see how it performs.
Old April 17, 2020, 03:51 PM   #33
Picher

The 6.5 Creedmore is "the" cartridge of the year, but when people figure out it's not as good as some other cartridges, like the 7mm-08 or .308 for deer-sized game, or other great cartridges with a longer history, there will be lots of 6.5's in the used-rifle rack in the gun stores.

Call me crazy, but unless someone is into range rifle shooting, it has no pizazz for me as a hunter.
Old April 19, 2020, 11:03 AM   #34
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
The 6.5 Creedmore is "the" cartridge of the year, but when people figure out it's not as good as some other cartridges, like the 7mm-08 or .308 for deer-sizedĀ 
I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I hunt with people who do. I'd venture to say the Creedmoor is as capable as any cartridge on deer sized game.
Old April 19, 2020, 02:16 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I hunt with people who do. I'd venture to say the Creedmoor is as capable as any cartridge on deer sized game.
The Creedmoor (and the .260 Rem and some other 6.5s) essentially duplicate the performance of the 6.5x55mm Swede round in a smaller case optimized for certain rifles.

The Swede's great performance in the game fields has been widely recognized since the late 1890s, and I would expect the same results from any other round firing the same size & weight bullets in the same velocity range.