The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 01:28 AM   #51
suzukibruce

and actually tim, beating someone to death with a gun would probably just plain make me feel better then shooting them, you get more of the feel for the kill that way...

but then again standing over mr perp. saying to him "you feel that slug in you? i loaded that personally and especially for you. doesn't that make you feel special? now make sure you keep pressure on that, you'll bleed to death slower that way so you'll get to enjoy it more...
Old May 25, 2010, 01:31 AM   #52
RemTim

You beat them all you want, I'll take my chances with the triggers.

Quote:
but then again standing over mr perp. saying to him "you feel that slug in you? i loaded that personally and especially for you. doesn't that make you feel special? now make sure you keep pressure on that, you'll bleed to death slower that way so you'll get to enjoy it more...
But Bruce, that old style gun might not kill a modern day man....better get a club.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:42 AM   #53
suzukibruce

40 grains of triple 7 powder finely ground behind a 250 grain lead ball traveling at 700+ fps from an 8" barrel... sure it won't... but you arent taking into consideration the fact that most americans are fat so it may not make it to the vitals through all the blubber....
Old May 25, 2010, 01:46 AM   #54
RemTim

Quote:
but you arent taking into consideration the fact that most americans are fat so it may not make it to the vitals through all the blubber....
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love BP guns....
But for self-defense, you're better off using one as a club.
Hmmmmmmmmmm..................................
Old May 25, 2010, 01:49 AM   #55
suzukibruce

oh i see what you are getting at... modern man is tougher than the men that lived off the land 150 years ago, that explains why the gun manufactures keep coming out with these mega guns... i guess it started with the .357 and.44 mags then the 50 AE and when that was no longer effective at fat penetration they made the .454 casul, when that stopped working we got the .460 and .500 mags... oh i see. i get it because the 45lc was designed to mimic the black powder .44 loads then the .45 acp came out to mimic the .45lc and as people got lazier and fatter the guns had to evolve too.... oh i get it now...
Old May 25, 2010, 01:50 AM   #56
RemTim

Yea, I am going to sell my Remmies and buy two baseball bats
Old May 25, 2010, 01:52 AM   #57
suzukibruce

i wonder... what about a conversion to make the remmy dbl action? i was told a long time ago that remington did do the 1858 in double action but only made a handful....
Old May 25, 2010, 01:54 AM   #58
RemTim

I never heard of that but it would be nice to have double action, i might have an effective defense against a modern bad guy.....

Last edited by RemTim; May 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:56 AM   #59
RemTim

Quote:
But for self-defense, you're better off using one as a club.
No offense to you, my friend, but that is an interesting philosophy you have there, but I feel somewhat different about the use of my guns. Allow me to further explain my feelings on such words of wisdom:
Quote:
Bam! Bam!,........Bam! Bam!
-Bam Bam Rubble
Quote:
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
-the two guns of Remington Tim
Bam!!Bam!! Dead!!!Dead!! Bam!!Bam!! DEAD!!DEAD!!
Quote:
.........................................................................................................................................
-Bam Bam Rubble and/or any misguided idiot with the faulty intelligence to think they are toys for Bam Bam to play with and in possession of enough irrational judgment to challenge their authenticity as a formidable weapon by forcing me to choose whether to use them as a club or for the purpose they were designed for. Any questions?? Did I effectively make my point??

Last edited by RemTim; May 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:40 AM   #60
suzukibruce

here is a little history lesson, jesse james was shot with a glock, in the shootout at the o.k. corral, wyatt earp carried a .357 sig, doc holiday carried a benelli m4, morgan and virgil earp both had .50 desert eagles and annie oakly used a steyer aug. and during both the revolutionary and civil wars the soldiers carried the venerable M-16A3 and SAW...
Old May 25, 2010, 10:44 AM   #61
Dino.

Quote:
Rather be clubbed with a 44 caliber than shot with it. Is it like taking a toy gun to a gun fight? The guns are not modern, but they work just as good today as when they were introduced 150 years ago.And when the cylinder is empty, use it as a club.
IMHO, black powder guns don't get the respect they deserve, since you can't just load bullets in it. Try getting shot with one and see if you are any less dead than if you had had the honor of getting your ass blown away by a more modern firearm. Geez. give me a break.
My, friend, if you are so sure that a black powder 44 is such a timid, toy gun, try standing in front of one like these at the moment the hammer busts a cap on a properly loaded cylinder full of lead and powder: In your final moments, you may have a change of conviction............
1) I NEVER said that BP guns were "toys".

2) If a BP gun is all you have for self-defense, than I guess it's better than nothing, still ... if your concern is self-defense, most will agree that there are MUCH better options.

3) It's true that BP guns work "just as good" today as they did 150 years ago ... and so does a knife or a rock to the head. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be my preference for self-defense.

To each his own, I guess.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:07 AM   #62
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTim
The Remmy guys are gathering. By the way, Suzuki Bruce. I believe you own one of those toy 44's like mine. Do you think beating someone up side the head with it will do more damage than if you just, well, blow them away instead?

"Colt makes a heavy firearm, that's a fact."

It believe that a Remington is equally massive.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:32 AM   #63
RemTim

Quote:
1) I NEVER said that BP guns were "toys".
Nope, but sticks are. It is all in good fun my friend. We are here to learn and share. We can fun every once in a while..

I have to get back to ya'll in in few minutes. I felt so bad for Bam Bam, that I am prompted to write his eulogy, It must be properly worded for such a historical icon.

Last edited by RemTim; May 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarification and grammer
Old May 25, 2010, 11:49 AM   #64
Dino.

Quote:
Nope, but sticks are.
... and just as effective for self-defense.

Just kidding, Tim.
In all seriousness, the best weapon for self-defense would be that in which you're most proficient. For some, that may be in fact a BP handgun. But it's just been my experience that BP handguns are much more prone to mis-fires than modern cartirdge handguns, thus less reliable.

That may not be a big deal when at the range or hunting, but it's quite different when my a$$ is on the line.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:49 AM   #65
Rifleman1776

Muzzle loaders, including C&B revolvers, have been my main shooting passion for more than 40 years. A clean revolver will remain firable indefinitely. It is the residue of burned black powder that is corrosive. A ball from a c&b revolver is not the 'stopper' we envision in these modern times for something like home defense. Death from those under-powdered (by today's standards) guns came from bleed outs and infection. That is why even the teensy .31 cal. revolvers were so popular. The bad guys really did not want to die a slow, painful and lingering death. Those little pistols were as psychologically intimidating as a .44 mag. would be today.
But, if I had to make a choice, it would be a LeMat revolver and my first shot at the intruder would be from the 20 gauge barrel
Old May 25, 2010, 12:02 PM   #66
DustyBottoms

Quote:
"Colt makes a heavy firearm, that's a fact."
+1 Appaloosa!
Old May 25, 2010, 12:07 PM   #67
RemTim

Here goes my tribute to our fallen friend Bam Bam...............

Good bye, Bam Bam
I am going to miss Bam Bam Rubble,
poor fella got into trouble,
by Dino's advice,
wrath he did entice,
give 'em a rock to the head,
now poor Bam Bam is dead.
If some of you guys are single,
Pebbles is a real cutie to dingle.
A son in law to Fred,
because of a failed rock to the head.
When you are in pleasure so divine,
be sure to thank your comrade Dino at the Firing Line.
Guys, feel free to join in,
saying good bye to a friend.
I'm having writer's block,
because of Bam Bam's rock.

Dino, I thank you for you help and advice, as always. I just love giggling.

Quote:
BP handguns are much more prone to mis-fires than modern cartirdge handguns, thus less reliable.
A variable factor dependent on the amount of love, care and devotion given to it by its owner.
Mine ain't failed yet.
What about your guns?
Quote:
But it's just been my experience that BP handguns are much more prone to mis-fires than modern cartirdge handguns, thus less reliable.
Sounds like you don't love them very much or perhaps you are doing something wrong..
Yer move, varmit!!!
Old May 25, 2010, 12:57 PM   #68
RemTim

In all seriousness, I hope everyone one here enjoys this place as much as I do. You guys are a riot!!!
My wife just told me the were all a bunch of old men sitting around talking s$!@ and arguing. I know we ain't all old, just me. But anyway, I sure enjoy your company, We are all brothers not matter what your preferred weapon is.
How can we learn if we don't pick a fight every once in while in our pursuit of black powder perfection?

Last edited by RemTim; May 25, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:29 PM   #69
Dino.

Quote:
Quote:
BP handguns are much more prone to mis-fires than modern cartirdge handguns, thus less reliable.

A variable factor dependent on the amount of love, care and devotion given to it by its owner.
Mine ain't failed yet.
What about your guns?
Hmm, so all I have to do is declare my love, care, and devotion, and my gun will miraculously become reliable? ... Sorry, I'm not buying it. It didn't work with my first wife, I seriously doubt it'll work with my gun.

Quote:
Quote:
But it's just been my experience that BP handguns are much more prone to mis-fires than modern cartirdge handguns, thus less reliable.

Sounds like you don't love them very much or perhaps you are doing something wrong..
Yer move, varmit!!!
Oh, I do love them!
I love how they look and they're loads of fun to shoot, but at the end of the day, guns are tools and well ... some tools are just better than others for certain jobs.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:34 PM   #70
RemTim

I need some help here, guys!!

Yea but I'll take my Remmies over your rock any day of the weeK!!!
and Bam Bam is gone gone because you told him to git a rock and stick and come kick my ass!! Varmit!!!
How can you live with yourself!! I know what it is, you were after Pebbles!!
Old May 25, 2010, 01:42 PM   #71
Dino.

Quote:
That's exactly what you're gonna say with a BP gun as your self-defense weapon of choice. LMAO!!!
Old May 25, 2010, 01:45 PM   #72
RemTim

That's kinda like like taking things waaaaay out of context.

Quote:
Never mind, boys. His ass is mine!!!
Old May 25, 2010, 02:04 PM   #73
Dino.

Quote:
Never mind, boys. His ass is mine!!!
You got mice in your pocket?

Seriously Tim ... even Wild Bill Hickok knew that black powder had it's limitations.
And that was 150 years ago.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:05 PM   #74
RemTim

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........................
Old May 25, 2010, 02:14 PM   #75
suzukibruce

2 points here dino

1. it is a proven fact that revolvers are more reliable than autos, more accurate and more powerful. a black powder revolver loaded properly and well maintained will fire just as reliably as any other revolver.

2. the .45 long colt was a direct copy of the .44 cal black powder c&b load. same powder and ballistics as a cap and ball just faster on the reload. also it is a fact that the .45acp was designed to mimic the ballistics of the 45lc cart. so the .44 (.454) cap and ball is no less effective as a man stopper than the .45acp. thats a fact, jack. look it up...

do some ballistics research before you go spouting off your opinions. i have had several .45 acp pistols and the black powder has always been more accurate and reliable than any one of them. and if 6 .454 lead balls doesn't stop mr. perp, i doubt 7 .45acp will...