The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 27, 2011, 11:07 AM   #51
breed

thanks model p. if i put up pics before they are done. there are some members that well just pick them apart.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:08 PM   #52
tossinlead

Pietta 1873 BP 44 to 45?

I just bought a like new BP Pietta in 44 for $100 bucks and in reading these posts don't understand conversion to .45 acp.?? Was the barrel changed? Pushing a .45 slug down a .44 barrel as my dad would have said "listens good but doesn't sound rite."
And a note to you guys wondering about the "offset firing pin - offset barrel" question. The nipple hole in the BP cyl IS offset to the right. If you look down the cyl from the business end you will see its NOT centered!
So indeed, if one puts a regular smokeless cartridge cyl in this, correctly amends or adapts the firing pin it would fire correctly without re timing - re-indexing or whatever. IMO
Point taken about the primers on the cartridge blowing back or out. Possible low power cartridge load, use BP cartridge, or a colt fireing pin bushing.
Special thanks to Breed for your insite on this board.

"smoke em if ya got em"
Old December 21, 2011, 06:32 PM   #53
hoof hearted

Guys

This is not a "pipe deam". I have converted many of these "BP 1873" Uberti's to centerfire. As long as the pressure isn't high they work fine with just grinding/filing the firing pin to make it more "centered". Doing this leaves a gap around the firing pin and higher pressures will cause the primer to flow back into this hole.

Installing a 45 (acp or Colt) cylinder is the same protocol as fitting one to any SAA. This requires setting the cylinder gap by fitting the bushing. By the way a "44" black powder revolver has a .451 to .454 bore. Of course caliber changes are also possible by changing and fitting the appropriate barrel and cylinder.

It is legal by Federal law to make your own firearm (state laws vary). You cannot make a firearm if you do so with the intent of selling it, this is manufacturing. But YOU CAN sell a firearm you made by federal law. There is no need to perpetuate the myth that if you make a firearm "you can never sell it".

Regards,
HH
Old December 21, 2011, 10:34 PM   #54
tossinlead

Thanks

Thanks HH for the info. Much appreciated. Any recommendations on where to pick up a cylinder with out breaking the bank. Would love to know which one is best - cheapest.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:30 PM   #55
hoof hearted

Well the best option is a Uberti cylinder. These are available from VTI (vtigunparts.com) as well as the Uberti sellers like Cimarron and others.

Any cylinder copied from the 1st and 2nd generation Colt, including Colt, can be fitted. Length issues can be overcome by setting the barrel back (for shorter) and cutting back the breech end of the barrel for longer cylinders.

I would also purchase a new cylinder bushing to be fitted.

I have a few NOS BP 1873 cylinders (with nipples) if anyone is in need.

Regards,
HH
Old December 22, 2011, 11:00 AM   #56
tossinlead

thanks

Thanks again HH. I have 2of the BP cyl. I know I won't need more of those. Looks like I need to scour the parts bins @ the gun shows.
Have 2 other "cattlemen" pistols. Both in .45LC a Smokey blue with a broken hand spring spring. (need to send it back to mfg for repair) and a brite nickel .45LC. Same mfg. EAA. So this one I'd like in .45 ACP. ( really like the timing on EEA's)
I also am fortunate to have among the black powder pieces a .44Remmy 1858 original from the Stagecoach collection. Id like to know what thats worth now days. Thanks again
Old December 29, 2011, 02:52 PM   #57
WAYNE109

hi there , I own 2 of these Ubertis and would like some help in getting a cylinder or 2 for cartriges , please any help would be appreciatted
Old December 29, 2011, 03:05 PM   #58
hoof hearted

Wayne

Buying the cylinders is easy: VTI gun parts

Fitting them correctly and making the mods takes a bit of know how!

If you need anything PM me

HHMB
Old January 3, 2012, 10:39 PM   #59
CarbineWilliams

I had done a lot of research about the conversion cylinders and came across mention of those .45 ACP conversion cylinders. As I understand it, one good option is to find someone who can reload .45 ACP as 'cowboy loads'. All the recommendations I've seen say to make sure to keep the muzzle velocity under 1,000 FPS.

Take a look at these:
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/ammo_45acp.html

A lot of these are .45 ACP rounds that are under 1,000 FPS.

Another thing I noticed is that while on the Kirst Konverter site, there's no specific mention of what kind of .45 ACP is safe to use, I noticed that there is the <1,000 FPS warning at many of the places that sell the cylinders:

http://oldsouthfirearms.com/kirstkon...-for45acp.aspx

Hope this helps a little.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:04 PM   #60
hoof hearted

Most all factory loaded 45 Auto with a bullet weight over 185 grains is loaded under 1000 fps.

What you are really looking for here is lead, not jacketed, bullets.

But, I believe, this thread was not about 45acp drop in conversions. Iy was about converting a BP version of the SAA into a centerfire one.
Wayne just opted to go 45acp.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #61
CarbineWilliams

Oh yeah, good point hoof
Old January 29, 2012, 01:49 PM   #62
WAYNE109

I have just fitted my .45acp cylinder to my 1873 Uberti.....
Have loaded 100 rounds up with Black powder , will be going to the range in this week !!!!
ps also fitted center firing pin !!!
Old January 29, 2012, 07:53 PM   #63
sandman_nv

Pictures please of your great work and could you describe the process for us? I would love to do something like this myself some day.

and also let us know how it performed on the range.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:11 AM   #64
WAYNE109

got the Cimmaron .45acp Cylinder , comes with a cylinder bush .Had to machine some metal off the front of the cyclinder , to get enough space for the rear of the cartridge case to clear the frame , also machined some metal off the cylinder bushing.
Fitted a center fire fireing pin , had to file the off center hole in the frame so the firing pin could strike on the primer cap .

Have not had time to go to the range but will report back as sson as I have been .............
Old May 11, 2017, 09:38 AM   #65
Mdubb1488

Converted Uberti black powder Cattlemen

I have an Uberti Cattlemen that I converted from black powder to 45LC. I bought it used from a local pawn shop for $195. Then I bought an Uberti 45LC cylinder from Taylor's. I had to do some file work on the cylinder bushing to get it to fit in the frame because it was just a tad too long. I also had to remove some material from the barrel face because the cylinder rubbed a little. I did NOT have to do any modifications to the frame or firing pin opening. I did have to remove some material from the right side of the firing pin. It was making contact with the rim of the cartridge so it wasn't setting off the primers reliably. Now it functions flawlessly (with cowboy loads that is) I did shoot some Hornady ammo I got at wally world through it and I did experience some issues with the hammer blowing back and I did have the primer blow out of 2 cartridges. I think the higher pressure loadings cause issues due to the large firing pin opening. As long as you shoot cowboy loads you'll be fine. I have less than $300 invested an have a nice Colt SAA clone.
Old May 15, 2017, 09:45 AM   #66
ofitg

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is that while on the Kirst Konverter site, there's no specific mention of what kind of .45 ACP is safe to use, I noticed that there is the <1,000 FPS warning at many of the places that sell the cylinders:
Besides using lead bullets, the Kirst FAQ page also specifies that pressures must not exceed 12,000 PSI - most .45 ACP factory loads are way over this limit -

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/kirst-pdfs/FAQs.pdf