The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2015, 09:18 PM   #1
DarthNul

Anybody using Cap Arms XP100 pistol powder for 9mm Luger?

I picked up a pound of the stuff at my local reloading shop. I've got a thousand 115 grain Berry's round nose projectiles I want to load up for plinking.

I have three sources of load data for this but they vary quite a bit:

The sheet that came with the powder says they use 6 grains for "factory loads" at 973 fps. That's it. No starting or max load data.

The same sheet also says it burns like Winchester AutoComp. According to Hodgdon's website, that would be 5.1 grains to start (1,078 fps) and 5.6 grains max (1,161 fps).

Cap Arms website says 4.5 grains with no mention of whether that's for starting or max or whatever.

Has anybody tried this stuff? I'm not looking to develop the ultimate load here. I just want to make a batch of round nose plinking ammo for some surplus guns that were not designed for hollow points.

I also wanted to give this stuff a try because it's made just one state south of here rather than half way across the world, and well... I've just about given up on ever getting any more W231, HP38, or Zip.
Old August 22, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Kosh75287

Do the various data sources give overall lengths? Some of the differences in charge weights might be partially explainable in terms of that, plus if the projectile is cast vs. jacketed.

Typically, with small capacity rounds like the 9mm, a small difference in seating depth can yield a big change in chamber pressure, so I'd err on the side of longer overall length and lower charges, until you get a better feel for how the powder acts.

In situations like this, I tend to start with the most conservative charge weight and work upward by 0.1 - 0.2 grains, unless something tells me that I can go with a heavier charge weight.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old August 22, 2015, 11:43 PM   #3
DarthNul

Quote:
Do the various data sources give overall lengths?
The sheet with the powder says 1.1 OAL for 115 grain X-treme with 6.grains of powder. Their web site say 1.2 OAL for 115 grain X-treme RNCB (I don't know what the "CB" is, maybe Cast Bullet?) with 4.5 grains of powder. I generally use an OAL around 1.150 for 9mm round nose and 1.080 for hollow points.

Hodgdon has more complete data for AutoComp but that's not really what I'm using.
Old November 25, 2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Josh Smash

I know this is a older thread but, I called CapArms when I had questions about different loads and they were quite helpful. Here are two video reviews i did on XP100, hope it helps someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWfRuL4OsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGREBptNlc
Old November 27, 2015, 03:43 PM   #5
DarthNul

Thanks for the links Josh!

I've fired some test rounds with 9mm, 115 grain round nose projectiles and they functioned well. My chrony is not cooperating these days so I really have no idea about projectile velocity. The POI and recoil were the same as some loads with HS-6 (same bullets) that I also tested that day.

I have a decent target load for my .44 magnum that uses Autocomp. Cap Arms says Autocomp starting load data can be used with XP100, but I think I better talk to them before pulling the trigger on magnum loads.