The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 30, 2010, 11:30 PM   #26
HisSoldier

It's just not politically correct.

I feel sorry for people who figure out every possible reason why they can't do what our ancestors did as a matter of course.

Is it possible that people are worried about getting sued by saying anything other than "Don't do it!"?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:20 AM   #27
olmontanaboy

I survived riding in cars before seat belts were invented and back when they had metal non-padded dashboards. My parents did not smoke but the smoke in my friends house was so thick you could cut it wit a knife. Believe it or not we rode bicycles without helmets and we put old lawnmower engines on bicycles that had brakes that barely worked and used to ride our motorbikes behind the trucks that were spraying a DDT fog for Misquitos. So if I made it this long I guess a few ounces of chemicals in a ball mill won't get me.

Well said, were being turned into a nation of frightened sheep by an ever growing number of bureacrats.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:34 AM   #28
silvercorvette

it reminds me of this quote

A coward dies many times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once

Julius Caesar (William Shakespeare)
Old October 31, 2010, 11:05 PM   #29
mrappe

I would never say that making BP is as safe as gardening. Just, that it is probably not as risky, if you understand how to handle it with some education of the subject and common sense. I would read up as much as possible on the subject first. I am assuming that we are not talking about a teenager stuffing BP into a metal pipe or other truly risky things. If you do it right I don't see how it would be any more dangerous to mix small batches than it would be to handle a 1 pound can of Goex. You can certainaly hurt yourself with a can of commercial BP if you are not carefull. Lets put the risk into a reasonable perspective.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Hardy

Interesting Now, it has been 40+ years ago but I remember doing something then not knowing exactly what I was doing. I took 2 concrete blocks and separated them about a 1/4 inch apart. I laid charcoal on top of them and ground them with a brick and let the particles fall within the 1/4 inch separation into a pan. I mixed it w salt peter and sulfer from the World Book encyclopedia on ratio. IT WORKED in my home made cannon. I think scraping the charcoal across the rough blocks made them kinda prism like and that helped. Never tried it again but might now since I'm 58. Tell me no