The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Swampman1

Ear protection

I currently have 2 of the headphone type hearing protectors, but I'm curious about the smaller type that seems to be almost molded for the ear. Summer right around the corner, and the big ones are a bit hot in July. The way I feel, the smaller ones dont need to eliminate ALL the sound but maybe at least half? Any brands you could recommend?
Old March 15, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Gaerek

I have a set of Instamold earplugs that I use sometimes. I had them done at a gun show last year. Took about a half an hour or so total to have them made. They work really well. I don't always use them as I prefer my electronic muffs, but I have successfully used them, doubled up with my e-muffs without much issue. I believe they have a do it yourself kit also. But I'd recommend having someone do them for you if you can.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Surefire.com...

Harold Leight models are good. My friend gave me a few safety orange plugs that rate 33db.
My custom made gun show plugs(early 1990s) rate about 39db. I still use them.

For ear plugs, see; www.surefire.com www.cabelas.com www.brownells.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.nra.org www.uscav.com .
Surefire is a highly rated brand. They make top ear protection. NRA markets the ZEM style which look good. UScav.com sells the GI/milspec plugs.

CF
Old March 16, 2013, 11:34 AM   #4
KO3422

Surefire plugs are very cheap $15 and work great as stand alone or under muffs.

You can Google "custom earplugs" and there's a ton of mail order places that can get you that custom look plugs. There's always someone at gunshows making them. Audiologists also can make you some, but they'll be expensive. I had some racing plugs made professionally and they were expensive. My Surefires work just as well.