The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 19, 2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Jacket67

Experience with the Glock 30??

Hey TFL,

I'm pretty much set on the Glock 30 gen 4 being the next gun I pick up (unless a gen 5 drops between now and then). Ever since getting my Ruger SR45, I've come to love the .45acp for how fun it is to shoot and honestly how well I shoot it compared to other calibers. That said, I started looking into compact/mid-size options and came across the Glock 30. I went to Academy and got to handle one and the gen 4 just fits fantastic in my hands. I love that it takes the g21 mags (and extended ones) and I fully plan to get a pcc in .45 soon thereafter to share the mags with it (likely CMMG unless Ruger creates a PC Carbine in .45). I also would entertain the idea of getting a 10mm conversion kit if I find myself hunting out west at some point.

Ok, short story is over.

For those that own or have experience with the Glock 30, what are your thoughts? Any suggestions or input on preferred ammo, holsters, upgrades, etc.? I'd love to hear anything you have to offer!

Thanks in advance.
Old October 19, 2019, 02:00 PM   #2
JERRYS.

I had one years ago... I have the G21 now. I just felt for as big as the smaller gun was I could just as easily carry the G21.
Old October 19, 2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Dan-O

They’re great!! I really like the 9 round mag for carry. Conceals nicely.

Can’t go wrong with the 30
Old October 19, 2019, 02:13 PM   #4
railroader

I have a gen 3 glock 30. It's my only glock. I keep it loaded around the house with a G21 mag with a plus 2 base. It is a fat gun so I don't conceal carry it. It is reliable with full power loads. If I make softer reloads it tends to throw them straight back at me. It doesn't do that with factory 45 loads.
Old October 19, 2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Whirlwind06

I have a glock 41 that's great been using it in pistol league. I put a grip force adapter on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 19, 2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Amegatek

I have a Gen 4 G30 and a Gen 4 G21. I love my G30 for CCW. It is is one of my main carry guns.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old October 19, 2019, 07:29 PM   #7
American Man

I started with 45s back in the day and the 30 was my carry gun. I preferred the magazine baseplate extension to get a better grip. (exactly as it is pictured in Amegatek's above post)

I don't carry it these days, but I had the federal hydra shock or whatever the exact name was... today I have the HSTs in it at home. I still have some of that ammo from a little over 15 years ago and I run some of it here and there... and it still works.

The 30 is a great gun.

Last edited by American Man; October 19, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old October 19, 2019, 08:16 PM   #8
jmr40

I'm all around it. I have G20, G21, and G29. The G29/G30 frame size is much easier to carry OWB, and I don't feel that it gives up anything in accuracy. And both the G29/G30 can be used with the longer G20/G21 mags so there is no reduced capacity.

I bought the bigger guns first, but wouldn't do it again. I'm sure everything would be exactly the same with the G30 as my G29. The guns aren't that small. Even though Glock lists them as sub compact they are almost exactly the same length and height as the G19/G23 frame size. Only a tiny bit thicker.

If you're thinking about upgrading to 10mm later I'd advise going with a G29 to start with. The price of 10mm ammo and 45 ACP is exactly the same and you can fire cheaper 40 S&W ammo in the 10mm Glock. You've already got a Ruger in 45.

Winston Churchill
Old October 20, 2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Hammerhead

I had a gen 2.5 G30. Great gun, very soft shooting for a small gun. Wouldn't function with SWC's, but otherwise great.
Old October 20, 2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Hal

I watched a Glock 30 and a Colt Gold Cup run head to head one day at the range ......very impressed I was.....

I opted for a S&W Shield over the Glock 30 & have a small regret that I did.

My only slam on the Glock is that it's striker fired.

I have a deep personal bias against anything striker fired - due to a bad experience with a .25 Raven.

I have no idea what type of deal the the devil Gaston made to get that level of accuracy out of the 30, but,,,,,let's just say, running one in a Bullseye match would really get some noses out of joint - PDQ...
Old October 20, 2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

I had one for about 6 months earlier this year. Took it to the range one time, and traded it off. I'm sure it's a fine pistol, but it just didn't fit my hands right. I can tell you that it will fit in a leather OWB G19 holster. It's a bit snug, but not bad. OP, if the G30 fits your hands, go for it!
Old October 20, 2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Sequins

I have s glock 30 and its great. Very accurate. I shoot it with the 9rd flush fits, 10rd extended, and 13rd full size mags. The 10rd extended are the most comfortable, and the 9mm pinky under is not ideal. I do carry it with a 9rd though for minimum grip height.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased and the 30 is such a performer amd such a good size I dont think I need a "full size" Glock in 45, the 30 does it all.
Old October 20, 2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Dan-O

Like hammerhead said, doesnt play nice with swc’s. Can’t remember if using a 21 mag with a spacer fixes the issue? I shoot swc’s when paper punching which my 625 is the best at
Old October 20, 2019, 06:16 PM   #14
smee78

I enjoy the Glock 30S, its close in size to my G19 (my favorite Glock) and its carrying a good load out. I use my G19 holsters and a 21 mag with a grip sleeve (the 10 rounder pinches my pinky when shooting).
Old October 21, 2019, 01:52 PM   #15
L-2

Long story, but short version.
My similar G30SF is fine at 12K+ rounds. I carry in either a Comp-Tac iwb holster; Safariland owb ALS 7378 holster; or an old leather shoulder holster (seldom used).

My G30gen4 was sold with 17K+ rounds and was more of a problem-Glock to me. This had a replacement frame as the original frame cracked around the locking block area. The original frame was also sent back to Glock once before for a bad mag catch spring, which wore out the mag catch and 8 mags. The breech-face around the firing pin hole also eroded a bit but Glock said it wasn’t bad enough to replace the slide too.

My 1st G30 was fine which was pre-light rail and pre-SF model. It was just too large for me to enable me to shoot one handed even though my hands are large, just not XL.
Old October 21, 2019, 03:27 PM   #16
Bart Noir

The non-SF is too blocky for my hands, but the G30 Short Frame (SF) is acceptable. But the G30 Sierra (G30S) is the best version, as it has the thin slide of the G36 on the G30 SF frame. It just seems to be a little better balanced than the G29 SF which I also have, and is so darn accurate.

And it is easy to shoot, easier to conceal as mentioned already. I recommend the G30 Sierra over any other version for non-hunting or competition use.

Bart Noir
Old October 21, 2019, 04:22 PM   #17
AK103K

I have a 21SF and a 30S. Had both a little over a year now, and after shooting both this past week, have decided to throw them on the "trade off" pile. Nothing wrong with either, just all my other Glocks are 9mm, and Im not seeing the point to the 45's.

Both of mine are like all the other Glocks I have too, reliable with anything Ive shot out of them, and both are accurate shooters.

I shoot a fair amount of SWC's in most of my .45's, and both of my Glocks in the caliber, have fed them just fine, and without issue.

One thing that may be a negative, at least from a resale point, is, from what Ive seen, they dont seem to hold their value compared to the 9mm guns. I bought both of mine used, and paid about $375 each. Both are basically NIB shape too. From looking at what they are going for elsewhere, they still seem to be on the lower side of things, and about $50 cheaper on average than the 9mm's Ive bought.

Nothing wrong with that from a buyers perspective though.
Old October 21, 2019, 09:57 PM   #18
Hawg

I bought one about 10 years ago. As far as reliability goes it was good. The trigger was smooth through it's entire two mile travel. The gun overall to me was too thick. It was uncomfortable to hold being a double stack and shot really high point shooting. I traded it for a 1911.
Old October 22, 2019, 02:04 PM   #19
Dave T

Quote:
I have a deep personal bias against anything striker fired - due to a bad experience with a .25 Raven.
That's just wrong, I don't care who you are. Comparing any decent firearm to a 25 Raven should probably be prohibited on some level. (smile)

Back to the topic, I've owned a number of G30s and carried one for a couple years. I now have a G4 G30 to which I've installed a G36 slide and aftermarket barrel, creating a G4 G30S. It feeds HPs (every flavor I've tried), H&G #68 SWCs, cast RN, and of course Ball.

I prefer the G4 mag release and grip texture and feel the G36 slide is the perfect and preferred slide width and weight for the 45 ACP cartridge in a Glock. If Glock would bring out a G21S I would buy the first one I found.

Dave
Old November 5, 2019, 08:30 AM   #20
Whirlwind06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I prefer the G4 mag release and grip texture and feel the G36 slide is the perfect and preferred slide width and weight for the 45 ACP cartridge in a Glock. If Glock would bring out a G21S I would buy the first one I found.

Dave
The G41 is the slim slide but with a longer barrel. Same slide width as the 19/17/34

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 5, 2019, 10:53 AM   #21
vwfool

I would recommend a 30S over the 30, and I have had both. The 30S still allows you to use the 13 round 21/41 mags for a spare mag or at the range. The 30S has a little thinner slide and allows you to use holsters for a 19, which gives you a lot more holster options. It even fits G19 pocket holsters (yes, they make them). I pocket carry my 30S this way all the time when wearing jeans or cargo shorts. I use mine with 13 round mags without a spacer all the time and never have a problem with it feeding incorrectly or pinching me.

Get a 30S, carry with the 9 or 10 round mag, and carry 13 round mag as a spare.
Old November 5, 2019, 12:23 PM   #22
Dave T

Quote:
The G41 is the slim slide but with a longer barrel.
5.3" if I remember correctly from the one I owned for a couple years. Since my disability keeps me from shooting competition anymore I sold it.

Dave
Old November 5, 2019, 04:32 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

I had a Glock 30 Gen 3 and I really liked it. The spare mag would be from the Glock 21 I had, of course. If I could go back now, I'd go for the Glock 30S. Which is the standard Glock 30 frame with the Glock 36 slide (slim).

My current .45ACP Glock is a Glock 36. Which is my back up, hand off, or deep concealment gun. It has been 100% so far so I'm good with that!

The G30 is a chubby bunny. Both the slide and frame. So, today..Again.. The Glock 30S would be my choice.
Old December 3, 2019, 10:14 AM   #24
Amegatek

10 rounds of .45 ACP in a compact gun, what's not to like? Conceals well OWB/IWB for me, and I carry 2 reloads sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old December 3, 2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Ruger45LC

I like the concept of the G30 more than the gun itself. I've had several, the last few were Gen4 models. To me they're just too bulky and chunky feeling. Some love them, I suppose I don't hate it but it's not small. I find the G21 to feel better in the hand, the rear grip swell starts higher up on the smaller gripped G30 and just really fills the hand up, too much if you ask me.

Tags
45acp , g30 , gen 4 , glock