The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 5, 2020, 11:34 PM   #26
cslinger

This stuff scares the hell out of me. I am a history buff and we have seen this stuff before under different guises.

We are very close to one side or another loosing a round and creating a modern Crispus Attucks and this didn’t start with the VA issues.....it’s been boiling for some time across the country. Frankly that scares the bejezus out of me.

....may you live in interesting times and all that.
Old January 5, 2020, 11:39 PM   #27
Rapidrob

I was referring to the many debates of succession and splitting of Army officers who had been graduates from the same academies and who were in Northern VA at the time. Way before the firing of shots at FT. Sumner.
I grew up a few miles from Federal Hill in Baltimore. When MD went Left of Stalin, I moved to NM, which these days is not much better.
Old January 5, 2020, 11:49 PM   #28
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
This stuff scares the hell out of me. I am a history buff and we have seen this stuff before under different guises.

We are very close to one side or another loosing a round and creating a modern Crispus Attucks and this didn’t start with the VA issues.....it’s been boiling for some time across the country. Frankly that scares the bejezus out of me.

....may you live in interesting times and all that.
no Crispus Attucks will be made in Virginia. there will be some bravado but eventually it will turn into talk of trying to fix their situation next election.....
Old January 6, 2020, 12:38 AM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

I’m telling you right now, if Virginia relies on the normal electoral process to address this, they are never going to regain their 2A rights short of some fantasy SCOTUS win 50+ years in the future, maybe,

You’ve got 90% of VA counties that oppose gun control and yet the gun control people control every level of government.

Here in Texas, deep in pro-2A and conservative territory, we are no better. Our Lt. Gov., Dan Patrick, who was elected on the entire premise that the rest of the the Texas GOP were compromising moderates, is now willing to sell us out on UBCs. And he controls the entire legislative agenda of the Texas legislature.

In my view, we are seeing a very cynical but accurate representation of what can be achieved if you have Bloomberg cash and goals. And by the way, Bloomberg is now tied with Warren for third position behind Sanders and Biden in the Dem primaries.

The only reason to hold off a fight is because you think your position will improve. Go back and read what I’ve written here over 20 years and tell me our position will improve. I want to believe you so it won’t be a hard sell.

The people pushing these laws believe you’ll lie down and show your belly; but they don’t have the means to back it up,. And if you do lie down, then you deserve what is coming next - and it isn’t enhanced enforcement against long time violent criminals.

I’m arguing on the same side as the ironically named AntiFa (which is the most fascist organization I’ve seen). If that isn’t a sign of the Apocalypse, I don’t know what is.
Old January 6, 2020, 08:38 AM   #30
USNRet93

Quote:
Our Lt. Gov., Dan Patrick, who was elected on the entire premise that the rest of the the Texas GOP were compromising moderates, is now willing to sell us out on UBCs. And he controls the entire legislative agenda of the Texas legislature.
Not trying to argue, I'm not in Texas but how does a LIEUTENANT Governor 'control the entire legislative agenda'?
Quote:
And by the way, Bloomberg is now tied with Warren for third position behind Sanders and Biden in the Dem primaries.
Not trying to be the Dem poll editor but Bloomberg is sometimes 5th or lower in yesterdays polls. Bernie, Biden, Buttigieg, Warren..on more than a few, he isn't in the top 7-8.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 6, 2020, 01:15 PM   #31
JERRYS.

Bloomberg is in 3rd place as of today, but I don't buy the money angle. money did not vote for anyone, people did.
Old January 6, 2020, 07:56 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
money did not vote for anyone, people did.
True. But money buys ads, and airtime and people telling lies over and over to people who don't know any different. And the people vote based on what they THINK is what the law says, or what they're told that the candidate stands for.

When you have the money to tell your version of the truth 10 20, or a hundred times more often than the other side does, people only get your version of the message, and vote accordingly.

In that way, money "buys" elections. Not by buying the actual votes but by controlling the information voters get so they vote the way you want them to.

Now, this does rely on the laziness of people, far too many only go on what they are told, and do not determine for themselves what the actual situation is.

Unfortunately, this approach works often, and all too well.

its a variant of the "Big Lie" and money lets you tell your lie more often than the other side can tell theirs. Even more effective when the other side has only the truth to tell.
Old January 6, 2020, 08:01 PM   #33
rickyrick

Money always influences the outcome of elections, hence the myriad of campaign finance laws that are selectively enforced.
Old January 7, 2020, 09:10 AM   #34
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
Bloomberg is in 3rd place as of today, but I don't buy the money angle. money did not vote for anyone, people did.
Certainly not trying to argue 'polls' but the 5 I looked at just now has Bloomberg 5 to 8th..

Most put his % at around 6-8%..

BUT, I'm sure there's one that puts him 3rd..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 7, 2020, 03:07 PM   #35
mehavey

Quote:
....money did not vote for anyone...
But money does talk:
https://slate.com/technology/2019/12...-internet.html

Pied Piper and foolish children... literally in this case.
Don't forget that.

Last edited by mehavey; January 7, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 7, 2020, 03:14 PM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Certainly not trying to argue 'polls' but the 5 I looked at just now has Bloomberg 5 to 8th..
And next week they will be different. Hell, TOMORROW they will be different.

The only poll that really matters will be in NOV 2020.

Everything between now and then is just made up crap.

Something for people to talk about and argue over. Tis all "smoke and mirrors" my man, ALL of it.
Old January 7, 2020, 04:07 PM   #37
JERRYS.

ok, I should have been more clear. yes, money to buy Ads. can influence stupid people into voting like the lemmings they are.
Old January 7, 2020, 09:12 PM   #38
rickyrick

The funny thing is, the other side thinks we are ignorant lemmings.
Old January 7, 2020, 11:23 PM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

lemmings aren't ignorant, they're just under-informed!

By the time the ones on the edge see the drop, they're still pushed off by the ones behind, who don't see it....yet...

What makes us different (mostly) is we have some lemmings who aren't running with the pack, but are off to the side and yelling at the top of their lungs (and wallets) RUN RUN THERE IS NO CLIFF THE SEA IS PARADISE!!

or so it seems to me...
Old January 8, 2020, 08:31 PM   #40
Doc Intrepid

The VA election outcome was the result of several issues, according to this article from the New York Times (if you believe what they print).

First, at least 4 Democratic wins resulted from uncontested elections - i.e. no Republicans ran against them.

Letting Democrats run unopposed is not a winning strategy.

Second, and probably more telling, the article noted that Democrats had "a significant fund-raising advantage" in the election, indicating that substantial amounts of money were raised from sources that perhaps included Bloomfield, Soros, or other sources of funding external to the counties and small towns in rural Virginia.

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...elections.html