The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 19, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
gaseousclay

gun safe interior upgrade

so I just acquired a free gun safe from a family friend but i'd like to upgrade the interior shelf to something different. The current interior shelf is basically a single closed shelf with 17 holes to accomodate 17 long guns and it doesn't have a support beam in the center. I'd like a shelf that is 'open' like the picture below.

would I have to contact the manufacturer about getting a new safe interior or does someone out there make pre-made interiors that can fit various gun safes?
Old May 19, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
sserdlihc

With a little MDF and some padded microfiber cloth, you can easily do something like that yourself.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:21 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

Haven't seen any custom shelves offered as a one-off yet....just get some plywood cut to size, and pad with felt or cloth. Copy the pattern of the lower shelf by tracing, so you won't have to bend the gun barrels to fit !

My safe has a top shelf like yours, and some side shelves alongside the rifle racks. I would prefer it if it was entirely rifle rack and without the top storage space, I cram enough stuff on the shelves might as well get another safe.

Don't keep any ammo in your safe. In the event of a fire, the rounds burst and ruin every gun in the safe.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
gaseousclay

thanks, guys. I was thinking the same thing. the current shelves come out easily enough, so I could just measure the WxH and come up with my own custom shelf. Unfortunately, I have absolutely zero woodworking skills, let alone the tools to cut wood
Old May 21, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

You can trace out the pattern, and cut it with a jigsaw or scroll saw. One of your buddies could probably do it in 15 minutes. A jigsaw costs about $30, sandpaper $3, so it won't set you back a bunch of bucks. Another way is to trace it out, put the board in a vise, and make vertical saw cuts down to the tracing line, 1/4" apart, then break out the waste and sand it down. Or drill out the ends with a wood bit, then saw the waste between the holes by hand. Really no skills required, just attention to detail and time, and desire to do a good job.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #6
gaseousclay

Quote:
You can trace out the pattern, and cut it with a jigsaw or scroll saw. One of your buddies could probably do it in 15 minutes. A jigsaw costs about $30, sandpaper $3, so it won't set you back a bunch of bucks. Another way is to trace it out, put the board in a vise, and make vertical saw cuts down to the tracing line, 1/4" apart, then break out the waste and sand it down. Or drill out the ends with a wood bit, then saw the waste between the holes by hand. Really no skills required, just attention to detail and time, and desire to do a good job.
yeah, I think you're right. I'll have to do it myself anyway if I want a custom shelf. I contacted the safe company and they no longer make interior shelves for my particular safe because it's an older model
Old May 22, 2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Pahoo

Certainly can do.

My safe came with a simular configuration and after living with it for about a year, I totally redesigned the interior. The results were that I increased it's capacity by 1/3, on long guns. Once you define how you want your interior, I'm sure you could find a local woodworker to help you out. Bacially, here is what I did;

My top shelf did not come with a cutout, that accomodate the longer barrels. Instead, the front was recessed slightly, and the long guns are in the front row. Most folks don't have that many long barreled guns. Most of mine, are M/L's. ...

On the bottom partitions and shelf, I made new ones. That U-shaped design that you have, is suppose to make it easier for you to pull out a longun of your choosing. I found that it wasted a lot of storage space and really did not protect the stocks from getting banged around. My new design is basically a ladder shaped, with plastic pegs and of course it's padded.

l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .l
l (Mid Row)
l ____________________l
l (Front Row)

Be Safe !!!
Old May 22, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
gaseousclay

Quote:
On the bottom partitions and shelf, I made new ones. That U-shaped design that you have, is suppose to make it easier for you to pull out a longun of your choosing. I found that it wasted a lot of storage space and really did not protect the stocks from getting banged around. My new design is basically a ladder shaped, with plastic pegs and of course it's padded.

l (Mid Row)
l ____________________l
l (Front Row)
could you post an actual picture of your interior? I'm having a hard time visualizing what yours looks like with the diagram
Old May 22, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Pahoo

PM Sent

PM Sent .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 24, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
rcabat

Gun rack

2 years ago I ordered gun rack shelvings on my cabinet. The site is :
" 7.62x54r.net " see - Care & Maintenance Section- you could find the *Firearm Racks * I hope I can help.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:13 AM   #11
gaseousclay

@rcabat

does this company make gun safe interior racks, or are their racks meant for an actual gun cabinet?
Old May 29, 2012, 01:10 AM   #12
rcabat

gun rack

Sorry not to answer you right aways, just dont have time to seat down & see my forums. I ordered racks w/ them & felt protector on the racks & install it by myself, Im a little bit of a handyman & was able to do it. I checked the length of my cabinet & they have specs & measurement that might fit your cabinet. just check out what they have they have a lot on there site.