Old January 28, 2020, 06:41 PM   #26
BurningAmmo

There's a name from the past.
Old January 28, 2020, 11:54 PM   #27
stormyone

The Dancing Pony mesmerizes many.
Old January 29, 2020, 08:01 PM   #28
BurningAmmo

This is an excellent comparison of a new and Old (1982) Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiNrqhFNos
Old January 29, 2020, 09:49 PM   #29
libiglou

I've always liked the look of the python. Back in my younger years a friend of mind decided to run away from the cops because he was drunk and speeding. Well they yanked his permit and he had to sell his guns. He called me offering me a 4 inch royal blue hardly fired python for $200. Being a college student with limited funds I passed plus I had just recently bought a SW 686. I still regret that decision and always wanted a python but could not justify the crazy money they were asking. Bottom line: If and when they come out with a blued version I'm getting one. They are just too pretty for me and life is too short.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:23 PM   #30
larryf1952

I got into handguns big time back in 1973. As my collection slowly grew, I came to lust after a Python, just like everybody else. But, they were crazy expensive for the time and I knew I'd probably never own one.

Then comes 1993, and fate opened up the opportunity for me to purchase a near mint 1978 blued Python for $350. I jumped at the chance. I remember taking the Python home that night and just looking at it on my lap, not being able to believe that I finally had a real Python.

When Colt discontinued the gun, I remember being amazed at how the prices for Pythons began to quickly creep up. At some point, I stopped shooting it, afraid that I might drop it, or damage it, or break it and it couldn't be repaired. I finally realized that I had this gun that was worth $2K in my safe, but, unless I sold it, it wasn't worth a hill of beans to me.

So, the Python that I had thought about and coveted for so long and finally had been able to own, went away.

I'd still like to have my '78 Python. But, it wouldn't make much sense. As for the new one, I think they'll be a great gun when Colt figures out how to make them work 100%. And, they will. With CNC machine tools and strengthening in a few critical places, I think that they're ultimately as good as, if not better than the old Pythons, hand fitting be damned.

I've still got 2 GP100's and a 686-3. Personally, I think that Colt has built a great $900 revolver that a lot of people are willing to pay $1500 for. But, 40 years from now...if private firearms ownership hasn't become a faded memory...I think folks will be looking at the new Python with the same regard that we now look at the originals.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:41 PM   #31
BurningAmmo

I couldn't agree with you more Larry. One more trip for me and a new Python.
Old January 31, 2020, 11:08 PM   #32
AustinTX

Quote:
A friend is fond of telling me to look at those $2-3000 Pythons and see they are not "moving". $12-1500 ones are.

Sure, every once in a while some gullible person buys one, but as a rule they just sit while the ones with lower asking prices get snapped up fairly quickly.
Your friend doesn’t have it quite right. There is plenty of movement for particularly collectible Pythons, and at well north of $3,000. But there are also plenty of people who think their regular 1980s 6” blued Python with some finish wear should fetch a similar price to a high-condition 1950s or 1960s example. Those are the ones that sit and clog up GB endlessly.

Last edited by AustinTX; February 1, 2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 2, 2020, 11:05 AM   #33
603Country

Back in the 80’s I had a High Standard 22 revolver and a MkV Colt Trooper. Sold them both to buy what I wanted, which was a Colt Diamondback 22 with a 4” barrel and a Python with a 4” barrel. Both were in Nickel. Paid about $350 or so for each, and still have them and don’t plan to ever sell them. The grandkids and visitors love shooting the Python, and part of that joy is certainly due to the Walking Dead. They want their picture holding and shooting it.

After owning and shooting it for about 40 years, I worried about damage, so I bought a S&W 686+ to take on the shooting load. It was not as smooth as the Python, nor finished as well, but still a nice revolver. I had a gunsmith smooth out the SA and DA to a degree equal to the Python. The 686 took a little getting used to, but now I think I shoot it a bit better in DA than I do the Python.

Had I known that Colt was bringing back revolvers, I would have waited for the Cobra or Python, but then I would have missed out on that terrific shooting 686.
Old February 3, 2020, 01:40 AM   #34
Sgt127

I’ve owned a bunch of Pythons. I still have one nickel Python left. The trigger on a Python never really did it for me. I prefer the Smith trigger.

That said, the new Python looks like a Python. That was always the selling point. It was, and is, a beautiful revolver.

If you’re just gonna hang it on a wall, a print of a Monet is just as good as an original at a fraction of the cost. The comparison doesn’t work with the Python. (Ignoring possible teething problems from a new release) I think the new Python may turn out to be a mechanically superior firearm than the original. And, it still looks like a Python.

I’ve always thought they looks and lines were fantastic. I’ll likely get one.

For pure use, if it rivals the 686, it should be a great gun. Without that dang hole in the side.

But, some folks will still want an original. Good for them. I’m not planning on getting rid of the one I have.