The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2014, 03:24 PM   #1
oldknotty

Reloader newbie

I am going to have a crack at reloading my British .303 brass by hand . What kind of powder should i use to load with , all I am doing in target shooting so i do not need anything extra powerful ?? I would assume that i do not use the same black powder that i use for muzzle loaders right ???

Thanks martin
Old August 5, 2014, 03:43 PM   #2
DavidAGO

nope, you don't use black powder unless you have VERY old .303(tongue in cheek, do not use black powder, the .303 cartridge was based on a black powder cartridge). I strongly recommend getting one of several reloading manuals, the ones from powder companies are online to download, Lyman's manual, Lee precision's manual, many of the manuals will give you a good overall view of reloading. there are several powders that are suitable for .303, seeing what may be available wherever you are looking may be the problem. Most of the manuals will give the recipes for a few different powders. You may have to then find out what is available. Also what bullets are available. I use 150 gr. bullets in my son's .303, others like 180 gr. bullets.

David
Old August 6, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
pathdoc

Varget works nicely as loads using it can be found in all .303 bullet weights from 123 - 215 grain. ADI lists it as AR2208.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:05 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

3031, 4320, and 4895 are all good smokeless powders for .303 British.

Should get about 140 rounds to the pound of powder.

For target shooting, you can get a good light bullet, 150 or 165 grains, and keep the cost down.

Second the motion for a good reloading manual. It's imperative.

Check everything, twice.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:46 PM   #5
oldpapps

Greetings,

Please start by reading the sticky above, I think it is the bottom one. Follow up with reading a good loading manual and then again and again. This way you will know what is happening next.

Currently finding components is some what hit and miss. Check your manual for the bullet weights and powders that you would like to use and then search them out.

A British .303 is .311/.312 inch bore. Depending upon where in the long history of this great weapon, just about every thing changes. You may want to 'slug' your barrel to check the bore size. Most buy .311 jacketed bullets (lead is an entirely different matter). Primers are 'normally' large rifle but watch out for the non-boxer primed brass.

The SMLE was made with softer steel and over time (shots fired) the action gets a little longer. The only bite to this is case life can be cut short. Read up on neck sizing in your loading manual. This can extend your brass life.

The SMLE British .303 is a grand old war horse and will serve you well. Mine do.

Enjoy,

OSOK