The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2015, 11:17 PM   #1
drumvudu

Newbie looking for handgun advice

I am an older adult in my 40's and curios about what my best bet will be in purchasing my next handgun. I currently don't have one due to a very nasty financial situation and disability a few years ago. So anyway, I used to have a pair of Taurus autos; a 92 and a 99. I liked them very much. I was looking to basically replace one of those two weapons with this purchase. I was also recommended a Sig P250 .40 full size as a buddy has one and loves it. I do like that .40 has a little more stopping power. I used to think that it was ok cause the Taurus would hold 19 rounds so that makes up for it, but now I'm back in CO and cannot own a gun that holds more than 15 rounds. So, Anyone have any suggestions? This is primarily for home protection. I will take it to the gun range on a limited basis but my handicap will limit that quite a bit. Any other weapon you find that might be comparable but cheaper or better? I realize this is all subjective, but I'd just like to hear some opinion since I am now so unfamiliar with the current gun scene. I feel like I am buying donuts. Just too many types/options/ammo etc. thank you
Old March 1, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2
revoconcepts

I would recommend the SIG P320. Basically the same gun as the P250 but it is a striker fired handgun. The P250 is a great gun but it is a double action hammer fired gun. This means with every pull of the trigger you are performing two actions, cocking the hammer and releasing the hammer. These guns have a very long and heavy trigger pull, probably in the 12 to 15 pound range. The P320 is the same frame but a striker fired gun in the 6-8 pound trigger pull range.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:38 PM   #3
drumvudu

See, that's exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I had no idea. Thank you.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:43 PM   #4
revoconcepts

You're welcome. A P250 is definitely shootable but in my opinion will take a lot more practice on the trigger. I actually just ordered a P320 myself for shooting some competition. It is a fantastic gun. Points very nice. Shoots nice. and they are reasonably priced. I also own Glocks and Springfields but the P320 may be my new favorite.
Old March 2, 2015, 01:35 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

A P250 is nice. I had a compact in 9mm. I didn't think it was significantly better than my Glock or Kahr. I sold it. They are cheap right now. New compacts in 9mm or 40SW are under four hundred from buds gun shop. That is hard to argue with if you don't already have a box of mags and holsters for a Glock 27(I do).

I can't recommend the 40SW. If you are a very serious shooter who shoots weekly then maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't. The gain in firepower isn't worth the time loss in follow up shots, IMO. Some of the 9mm bullets designed in the last decade or so handle challenges like car doors and glass much better than those used when the 40 was developed. Car doors aren't what they used to be either.

Try to get two identical pistols such as a glock 22 and glock 17 and shoot them both with a timer. I bet you are surprised with the difference in times you can put shots on target.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:04 AM   #6
jmhyer

Don't mean to pry too much, but I think you'd get better/more recommendations with a little more information.

We know the gun will be for defense in the home and occasional/infrequent range use. Presumably that means no concealed or open carry and no (or infrequent) travel in the car. Do you have a budget or a price in mind? Does your handicap make you limited in the use of your hands or arms in any way?

Unless the use of your hands or arms is limited, since the gun will be for home defense and capacity is limited by law, I would select a larger caliber and larger-framed, longer-barreled weapon...something like a full sized M&P, Glock, XD/XDm, Ruger SR, HK, or Sig in 45ACP. Just as an example, I love my XDm with 4.5" barrel in 45ACP with 13+1 capacity.
Old March 4, 2015, 09:42 PM   #7
cshore93

I personally like the .40S&W. I can get accurate follow up shots fairly quick. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then I recommend the SIG SP2022 in 40 cal. I bought this gun with two mags that hold 12, a case, extra grip, and holster in a package for around $450. Gun was brand new. The thing I love the most about it is the double/single action. Double action the pull is 10lbs which I love. The single action is 4.4lbs. Great ergonomics, smooth trigger and just a beautiful gun. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a high quality pistol for a fraction of the price. A SIG is a SIG. Enough said.

Last edited by cshore93; March 4, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:12 PM   #8
CowboyinIL

Hello Drumvudu

I really like the Smith & Wesson M & P line of full size pistols. In particular the M&P .45 caliber full size at 4.5" in length. They have 3 different sizes of backstrap grips (small, medium, and large) that come with each gun and are interchangeable in order to fit your hand which will allow for the gun to feel more comfortable in your hand. It's a striker fire with no exposed hammer to get caught in you clothing. Comes either with or without a safety (your choice). The 45 magazines (2 of them) hold 10+1 rounds each. Cost's about $465.00 online at Buds Gun Shop.

When I was deciding a few years back, I went and tried Beretta, Springfield XDM, Glock (to blocky and thick for my hands) and the Smith and Wesson M&P 45. M&P was the most accurate and had the least amount of felt recoil.

Was so happy with the M&P .45, that I went right out and grabbed a M&P 9mm full size in 4.25" length. Softest recoil shooting guns. No cartridge feeding problems from any type of ammo. Just a really good gun in my humble opinion.

Think of the solution, not the problem.
Old March 7, 2015, 12:05 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I personally like the .40S&W. I can get accurate follow up shots fairly quick.
How many rounds do you shoot a week on average?
Have you ever shot identical 9mm and 40SW pistols side by side with a timer?
What exactly does "fairly quick" mean?

9mm is a whole lot easier to shoot well, especially if you aren't shooting much to begin with. The more you shoot the closer the two will get, but very very few people will shoot 40 SW as fast and as accurate as 9mm.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:08 AM   #10
g.willikers

Unless you just want an excuse to buy guns, there's really only one way to decide.
First get to know how to shoot well enough to be able to judge one gun from another.
Then, find a range near you where you can rent a bunch of them.
Or find someone who has more than a few to go to the range with you to try them out.
In the end only you can decide which ones will suit you best.
All we can do is vote for what we like.
No telling if you would.
Old March 8, 2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Fatal Wound

I might also add the Smith and Wesson MP Shield 9mm. With the proper round it has close range stopping power. Easy on the hand and looks good to boot.