The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 14, 2000, 10:48 PM   #1
Ron Ankeny

I will be attending my first IPSC shoot next Sunday. It is just a small club shoot about 100 miles from here. I spoke to the RO and he told me to come on up and he will work with me after the match and let me shoot the courses of fire. He suggested I look at the IPSC Web site, which I did.

Holy cow, the cotton picking rule book is 50 pages long in PDF. I printed it out at work (don't tell the boss). Anyhow, I saw nothing in the rules about classes of shooters. The RO told me they have several C and D class shooters who are just starting out and I would fit right in. OK, so what constitutes a D or C class shooter anyway?
Old May 15, 2000, 09:29 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

USPSA Classification System
Grand Master.......95% to 100%
Master.............85 to 94.9%
A..................75 to 84.9%
B..................60 to 74.9%
C..................40 to 59.9%
D..................Below 40%

Your percentage based on your scores as they relate to high score on file for particular course of fire. Highest score for six different courses averaged. Explained in more detailed under Classification Sysytem.
Old May 15, 2000, 11:38 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

The last time I checked new members were supposed to receive a classification after only four classifiers were shot and tallied by USPSA. Afterwards, the classification would be calculated as normal.

USPSA changed this so that new shooters wouldn't have to wait so long to receive a classification. This is particularly important for the once a month competitors.
Old May 16, 2000, 12:16 AM   #4
char923

You shoot unclassified, you will have to shoot 4 classifier to get your inital national classification. After that your percentage is base on your scores as they relate to the high score on file for a particular course of fire. With more than six scores on file, the hightest six of the most recent eight scores are averaged.
Old May 16, 2000, 12:05 PM   #5
Ron Ankeny

Thanks guys. I was looking on the IPSC site. Found some more info on the USPSA Web site.

I am looking forward to my first IPSC match this weekend. The following weekend will be my first "steel" match and in July I hope to make it to an IDPA match.
Old May 17, 2000, 01:40 AM   #6
Mike Davies

Ron:

I'm new to IPSC (here in Canada) as well..I shot my first Qualifier last November, shot my second in March, and am shooting my third and fourth this weekend. Then I'll be classified. (I'm running a hot 'D' right now.)
Don't get too wrapped up in the Rules just yet..just concentrate on your procedures and safety...don't try to win <g>. Take your time and get your hits...the speed will come later. I'm still walking through the courses...you'll find that the folks you shoot with will be very, very helpful...some of the things they'll tell you may sound harsh, but believe me...listen to them.
They know that of which they speak.
Best advice that I got? When shooting, count the serrations on your front sight...I think that Jeff Cooper said that...and I understand he wasn't half bad at this game...
Regards,
Mike/BC/Canada
Old May 17, 2000, 09:25 AM   #7
Ron Ankeny

Mike:

I am not too concerned about winning or getting all wrapped up in the rules. However, since they do shoot for scores, I am trying to find out how they score and what it all means. I am used to "fixed" courses of fire with "fixed" par times. Comstock, Virginia, and percentages of what the best shooters score are a bit confusing, but I think all shooters need to understand the scoring and classification systems in order to set realistic goals and move up. BTW, I plan on walking the stages and concentrating on safety and protocol. Safety first, production later.
Old May 17, 2000, 04:24 PM   #8
motorep

Ron and Mike- just shoot A's, on steel make your first shot the only shot you need. Don't worry about speed ( except for running), that will come. DVC