The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2001, 10:08 PM   #1
ammoeater

Any advice on plugging mags?

My friend bought 2 ar mags on eBay that were listed as "AR mags that hold 10 rounds" for $16 shipped. Well, they hold 30 rounds (an OKay and Adventure Line GI) The problem is, we live in the Police State of New Jersey, where you can get 18 months in prison for each magazine with a capacity over 15 rounds, whether you have a rifle to fit them or not.

Does anyone know of mag blocks that may be available? Can he just cut a wood block to fit and change to a 20 rounder spring? Could the mag be reliable like that? Is it even worth doing?

I have yet to see a decent 10 round mag, and limiting the 30's to 15's would give him the maximum "legal" capacity.

Believe it or not, he has the mags loaded with 15 spent cases, which from what he has read makes them legal to posess! Is this state crazy, or what?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old December 12, 2001, 10:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know the NJ law, but I suspect that simply blocking the magazine would not be enough to make it legal, since the block can be easily removed. I know it would not in Maryland which has a ban on transfer (but not ownership) of magazines over 20 rounds.

Ordinarily, when a magazine is blocked, the block is made small enough to fit inside the magazine spring, so the spring does not need to be cut down. If blocking is legal, this would be the way to go. Alternatively, the magazines can be reduced by removing the floor plate, and cutting the magazine off at the bottom, leaving enough metal to form tabs to hold the floor plate in place on the cut down magazine. The spring would have to be cut in that case.

Or simply deep six those mags and get some that do not exceed the legal limit.

Jim
Old December 14, 2001, 09:08 AM   #3
ScottsGT

Modify them!

Maybe drilling a hole in the front and rear of the mag at the point where the follower plate would stop to make it legal, then spot weld in a small block of steel that would not allow the plate to drop any further.
Old December 15, 2001, 01:07 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

The BATF rules, which seem to be followed by most states having a magazine limit, are that the magazine must be incapable of being feasibly reworked to take more than the (10 round in the case of the federal law) limit. Most makers who want to keep the gun capable of taking high capacity magazines for law enforcement, comply by making the bottom part of the limited magazine out of solid plastic or alloy. Putting in a block or a pin, which could be easily removed, or putting in a dent which could be cut out is not enough.

Jim
Old December 15, 2001, 07:01 PM   #5
saands

My wife was talking about going to Princeton, which is in NJ ... since we live in Kali, I figured any move was going to bring me more firearms freedoms ... just for grins I looked up the laws. I was amazed that there are places that are actually MORE restrictive than Kali. I think the AW ban there even includes the SKS!

Personally, I'd steer really clear of anything that looked like a firearms violation ... and believing something heard via a friend of a friend ... like spent casings making an illegal mag into a legal one doesn't sound like a good idea to me. By the way, you should be able to call your state DOJ and ask them ... write down the name and be happy with whatever they tell you.

Saands

ps ... I nixed the Princeton idea
Old December 15, 2001, 09:17 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Might be a good idea to get any opinion from your state AJ office in writing.

"incapable of being feasibly reworked "......this term has been variously interpeted by the ATF in different situations.

And remember, if they just LOOK evil, they will draw attention and you had best have your proof of legitimacy at hand.

Sam
Old December 16, 2001, 12:12 AM   #7
dZ

i thought doweling was approved in NJ
Old December 18, 2001, 01:48 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Work in NJ, live in PA. Lower taxes and a LOT more gun friendly.

Jim
Old December 18, 2001, 02:57 PM   #9
ammoeater

Thanks for the replies and advice. He scrapped the mags. Figured it wasn't worth 3 years in the clink for posession or trying to transfer them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776