The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 16, 2001, 12:51 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
I'm getting an Argentine contract Colt 1911 45 acp. In case I need to REPLACE THE BARREL, IS THIS A SIMPLe "drop in" job or do I need some gunsmithing?
Old March 16, 2001, 06:55 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tabing, there are a lot of drop-in bbls on the market but most will require minor fitting of the hood and feet. I don't use drop ins but I believe they would come with instructions showing you where and what needs to be done. George
Old March 16, 2001, 10:30 AM   #3
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
thanks George.
Old March 16, 2001, 12:24 PM   #4
Romulus

George, with a drop-in barrel, would a group-gripper advised, for the "better lock-up thing..."

I've often been told that it's a cheap way to obtain consistent lock-up on non-fitted barrels
Old March 16, 2001, 03:50 PM   #5
BBBBill

Well, I'm not George , but I'll interject here that I've had inconsistent results with Group Grippers. In my experience, just using a longer link has usually (not always) done better. Not the best way, but has been used by many smiths for years in lieu of match barrels or lug welding. There can be problems with this under certain tolerence stack up conditions. YMMV
Old March 17, 2001, 07:36 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Romulus, I'd recommend a group gripper but not alone unless you already have a tight bushing. I've experimented a few years ago with a lot of guns that came in for accuracy work. The bushing alone always increased accuracy. The gripper alone usually helped but neither was as good alone as they were together. While it is certainly one way to do it, I don't use longer links to increase lock up because it can lead to problems in the other direction as BBBBill mentioned. I only use them when the existing link is too short (binds the slide stop pin) for proper barrel fit. George