The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Brownstone322

Glock Gen 5 With AmeriGlo Bold Sights

I want a Glock 17 Gen 5 soon-ish, but I'm not certain about the sights, specifically the optional AmeriGlo "Bold" sights. I have a G19 Gen 4, and the standard plastic sights are not nearly as bad as many people say, plus I understand that they're intended as throwaways anyway (I just haven't thrown mine away yet).

I love fiber-optic sights, but for this particular piece I want day/night sights. I'm pretty sure the AmeriGlos will be good at night, but I can't seem to find much commentary on how they work at the range. (And, yeah, I know there are excellent aftermarket options for day/night, such as TroGlo TFX Pro, which combine fiber optic and tritium; I could get the G17 with cheap standard sights and add the TruGlos, but it'd be convenient to get the gun ready to go.)

So does anyone know about the AmeriGlo Bold sights under daylight or artificial lighting? Thanks.
Old October 10, 2017, 04:54 PM   #2
DaleA

This is a little bit of a tangent but this article talks about night sights and particularly about sending your slide (just the slide which avoids some hassles) back to the Glock factory and letting them install night sights for $57 plus tax.

http://blog.gunlink.info/2015/12/07/...ret-in-sights/
Old October 10, 2017, 05:51 PM   #3
TunnelRat

In looking at them they'll be about the same as many other sights with a colored ring around the front (note that the ring on Ameriglos doesn't glow like the Trijicon HDs as they're not phosphorescent).

I have 3 Glock 19s right now, two with Ameriglo Pro iDots and one with Dawson Precision Charger sights (fiber front, black rear). You can always use the Ameriglos in the day (the colored outline does help in direct light) and even as it gets closer to dusk you can use them because even if you can't see the colored front dot (which I can't as it gets closer to dusk at my range has an overhang) you can always center the front post in the notch. As a note this is less precise than a fiber optic front, it just is.

I've also done a day long low-light pistol course. My thoughts on night sights came out like this: they're useful for very specific light conditions. By the time night sights start really showing it's getting dark enough that target identification is getting difficult. When you couple in the fact that fiber optic sights are just plain better during the day and especially in dusk conditions it's hard to see the plus side of night sights. For me it came the benefit was once I had identified with a light if my target was a threat the night sights did give me the option of engaging that target easier without the light if need be. Also if I happened to be in darkness but my target was in an illuminated area the night sights gave me an ability to engage without the light. But again, these are very specific circumstances. Couple that with the fact that for many if not most low light shootings you'll be at relatively short distances and could likely reflexively shoot without sights in the first place (something worth practicing) and I'd personally feel comfortable with just fiber optic sights. FWIW though I do have night sights on my carry and nightstand pistols because in my house those lighting conditions I mentioned can happen.

As a note I've also tried the TruGlo sights. I found that with the amount the housing covers the front fiber optic they don't glow nearly as well as a standard fiber optic sight like a Dawson. It's not even close imo. And I have one Glock 19 with Dawsons that I have 10k rounds through with idk how many draws and the fiber rods have never broke so frankly I don't see a big benefit in the TruGlo.

Lastly, as a shameless plug I have a 2 year old set of Ameriglo iDot Pros, orange front, I'm not using. They're perfectly fine, I just took them off to try the Dawsons. I'd sell them to you for $30 shipped if you were interested.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 11, 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Brownstone322

TunnelRat, thank you for your thorough reply. I too have always questioned the efficacy of night sights, as I've always placed priority on shooting in daylight or under artificial lighting, and I didn't want to sacrifice daylight visibility for night visibility that I may never need. (The tacticoolness of glowing sights notwithstanding, this probably applies to most of us.) The relatively recent advent of day/night sights (fiber + tritium) had re-piqued my interest, though, and this is why I inquired about the factory-installed AmeriGlos for the Gen 5 Glocks.

After reading what you wrote and thinking about it overnight, I think I'm right back where I used to be: I'll swap out the cheap plastic sights for fiber optics on both my G19 and forthcoming G17. Interestingly, I've had my eye on Dawson Precision, fiber front/black rear.

Thanks again, man.

Last edited by Brownstone322; October 11, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old October 11, 2017, 01:30 PM   #5
TunnelRat

No problem. I'd suggest the Charger sight model (Dawson has a few variants). It has a serrated edge at the front of the rear sight that you can use for one handed manipulations if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk