The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 1, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

How well do illuminated scopes ........

........perform in bright daylight?

I'm thinking of putting a Leupold Mk 4 LR/T illuminated on a hunting rifle. I've never used an illuminated optic. When facing the sun does the illumination wash out?
Old August 1, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Saltydog235

Don't turn it on.
Old August 1, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
tpcollins

I have one illuminated scope for early morning varmints. If the sun is up, I turn it off.
Old August 1, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Pahoo

They do shine !!!

They work better than you might expect or at least, better than most RedDots. Frankly, I like them. As others have replied, you really don't need it in daylight or bright light as you have described. Low light is always better. The last time I looked, the color of the month, was red aand blue. Mine are red and green ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5
PetahW

The illumination (IR) feature in most riflescopes (but not all) is additional to the primary reticle, and (as already posted) can be turned on/off at will - unlike red dot sights, in which the IR is the primary/only reticle.

Which means that, with the IR feature turned off, the scope performs in broad/bright daylight just like any other like scope.

Even on bright days, however, I find the IR feature very useful in deeply shaded areas - which can appear relatively black/dark, compared to outside those areas.

I got away from batteries, years ago, in an IR scope - when I treated myself to a Trijicon Accupoint Safari 1.75x-6Xx24 scope, which used ambient light to illuminate the reticle's delta-shaped aiming point (which also has a tritium insert for night use).

Last edited by PetahW; August 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old August 2, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
armoredman

My only illuminated recticle scope, a Barska Electro Scope. I'd not have purchased it if I'd have another option. I turned on the scope to verify it lights up green or red, and turned it off. Maybe it will come in handy for coyote hunting.

I would love to try a Trijicon ACOG, but the scope would cost almost as much as the rifle!
Old August 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

No night hunting here thus no use for IR. If there is enough light for me to be shooting there's enough for me to be seeing a standard crosshair. IR is just something to add, bulk, weight and cost IMO.