The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

MidwayUSA blew it this time...

I normally don't complain much about Midway, but my most recent order was/is ridiculous.

I ordered R-P .444 Marlin brass. I received bulk-packaged brass (it was not specified, as Midway has been doing for quite some time). At $90 per 100 pieces... the damage done to these cases by being bulk packaged is unacceptable.

I ordered 100 R-P brass .223 Rem cases, since they were on sale. I received 100 nickel-plated cases, instead.

I ordered one box of .44 cal Hornady 265 gr FTX bullets. I received two boxes.

I ordered an electronic Predator call (clearance ). They sent me "The Truth 10" (Primos Elk hunting DVD), instead.

These aren't issues I normally have with Midway, but the brass is really irritating. All they had to do was list it as "bulk packaged" on their website, and I would not have ordered it. So, I have a new rifle coming in (today, hopefully), and will be waiting another 7+ days, to shoot it, now.

I understand how most order picking systems work, since I've worked in warehouses. I know this was likely just some one that was sick, new, or in a hurry; that made minor errors in grabbing the wrong item numbers (possibly a single digit that was different). I don't care about anything, but that brass. They should have specified that it was bulk packaged.

-I prodded their customer service rep, until they agreed to cover shipping (both ways), and replace the .444 R-P brass with 2 boxes Hornady brass. (She also claims to have sent a correction to the "web team" to update the description, since even she was surprised to see it did not specify the brass was bulk packaged.)
-I'm keeping the nickel-plated .223 brass.
-I'm keeping the extra box of 265 gr FTXs.
-They credited what I paid for the Predator call, and I'll keep the DVD. (Not a big deal to them; it's on clearance for $1.63 right now. )
Old January 17, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
CowTowner

Sounds like a long-winded win in the end for you.
I agree that having to wait for the replacements sucks, but at least they are sending replacements and working with you on everything else.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
William T. Watts

I'm not going in to detail about my grevience with MidwayUSA, however, I will say I am spending my money elsewhere. Today I spent $200 with MidsouthShootersSupply, in the Spring I intend to spend several hundred $ with Fin Feather & Fur in Ashland, Ohio. That's why I like the internet, I usually find what I want at the price I'm comfortable spending. William
Old January 17, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
abercasten

Sorry to here about that, Frank. The most trouble I have with them is sending liquids(oil, cleaner, etc.) without the cap on, and it leaking all over my order. They've always been prompt to correct the fault in my favor though, so I don't hesitate to continue to do business with them.
Old January 17, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
jmorris

That's not that bad. I had an upper on backorder for 6 months, then they jacked up the price $250. They lost that sale and every other one I would have made with them.
Old January 17, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Hog Buster

Gee, some guys have all the luck....... I’ve been dealing with Midway for years and never had a problem of any kind.
Old January 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Cheap 870

No complaints here either. They've always been good to me.
Old January 17, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Roughedge

I have been dealing with them for 30 years and its been good until the past year. I emailed them to complain about something and I told them the bigger they get the harder they are to deal with and they basicly said they dont care if I order from them or not.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
chiefr

Sounds like whoever pulled the order must have had a hangover or something.

I see I am not the only one with a cap coming off a liquid. Around a year ago, I ordered a large bottle of Lyman turbo brass polish among other things. to include some brass. I had a real mess inside the box when it arrived. I dumped the already saturated brass in my tumbler as a remedy. I emailed Midway of the mess and they overnight expressed a replacement bottle to me at their expense. I have always had good customer service from Midway. Their prices are another subject.
Old January 18, 2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Bamashooter

Midsouth Shooters Supply is by far the best company Ive ever delt with when ordering reloading components or ammo. Ive got no complaints with MidwayUSA as far as that goes. Maybe they had to hire some help and the newbie is doing the best he can.
Old January 18, 2012, 01:40 AM   #11
mrawesome22

Sounds like a blame it on the new guy situation.
Old January 18, 2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Jim243

They must have hired extra help for the Christmas season, not the best decision.

Recently (two months ago) I ordered two extra mags for a birthday present 9mm I bought for myself from my wife.

Well, in comes the order with two blister packs, but only one actually had a magazine in it, the other empty. What the heck, a bubble pack envelope with only two items and one item was messed up??? My first reaction was "what idiot did this", no way to not see that the order was not right!!! Boy was I [mad], these mags are not cheap.

The one saving point is their customer service department is World Class. Not even 5 min on the phone with CS and a new mag was on it's way, no questions asked. Over the last 8 years and thousands of dollars in reloading parts, presses and dies, I have had maybe three times that I had to call CS and each time they fixed the problems, in record time and at their cost.

Frank take it with a grain of salt, should it have happened, NO, but I am sure they will fix it for you.

Now Mrs. Lee that's another story (nice old lady once you get to know her) must have been having a bad day the first time I talked to her.

Mrs. Manson excelent person to deal with. As is Longdayjake and even Taurus customer service in FL. (needed parts I lost for a PT-92, and was in my hands 4 days later.)

Good luck and don't order vital stuff around Xmas.
Jim

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 18, 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: skirting the language filter
Old January 18, 2012, 02:36 AM   #13
Mike38

I’ve always had very good luck with MidwayUSA, and have bought from them for the past 15 years or so. But it seems like concerns / complaints on the internet have been more frequent the past year or so. I hope they work out the problems. I plan to keep using them.
Old January 18, 2012, 02:39 AM   #14
Northrider

I've always had good luck with Midway. Have not had to contact customer service yet.
Old January 18, 2012, 04:55 AM   #15
HiBC

I have always had good luck with them.No problems.They do seem to be growing rather quick and large.I am all for success,but I also think it is good for the smaller outfits to be successful too.I would not want Midway to be without competition.
I just made a large brass order with Natchez Shooters Supply.Best price I have seen.And I'd hate to lose Brownell's.I expect I'll place my next parts order there,even if it might cost a bit more.
I am glad we have Midway
Old January 18, 2012, 06:32 AM   #16
hounddawg

So far so good with Midway and I have to admit they get the bulk of my business but as others have stated they need competition. Midsouth's prices are better on some things and Brownell's has a bit better selection in some areas. I have also used Natchez and Grafs, competition is good for all of us so spread the wealth.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Magnum Mike

I have not dealt with them in years. Prices were high and things were back ordered. I much prefer Midsouth Shooting!
Old January 18, 2012, 07:43 AM   #18
savagelover

I always buy brass in bulk...No big issues with it...I full length size it anyway after getting it NO matter where I bought it from..Anyones a fool not to resize new brass....
Old January 18, 2012, 08:45 AM   #19
wingman

Quote:
I told them the bigger they get the harder they are to deal with
Sadly that is true of many companies,my complaint with Midway is double shipping cost if powder is ordered with other items, powder is dropped shipped so two shipping fees, I simply gave up and go to powder valley for most orders seldom buy from midway unless it's a super sale I can't get cheaper elsewhere. Living on a fixed income causes one to be very good at researching purchases.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:46 AM   #20
Uncle Buck

Thanks for the info about Midway.

Based on past reviews from you guys, I decided to try ordering from Powder Valley (CCI Primers, Small Rifle, $24.00 per 1000) and was very happy with how fast I receiced my stuff. No need to contact customer service. Same with Graf and Sons.

They may have lost a $250.00 order from one of you, but they also lost a $340.00 order from me. I wonder how many others base their ordering decisions from internet reviews?

I do not like talking with customer service (Anger issue, you know ) so I prefer a company that has a customer service department like the Maytag Repairman. At least they took care of the problem for most of you guys.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:58 AM   #21
hounddawg

My problem with shopping elsewhere is that Midway seems to have the largest selection anywhere. Just looked at my "wish list" at Midway and would have to pay shipping from three stores if I were to split that order of five items up. Other sites carry one or two of the items but it just does not make sense to pay an extra 30 dollars in shipping fees just to spread the wealth on this order even though I can find some of the items a dollar or two cheaper elsewhere
Old January 18, 2012, 10:06 AM   #22
Marquezj16

While they may not have everything in stock, they at least have projected stock dates. And each time I have purchased, my order arrives on time or ealier (tracking is great) and has been 100% accurate. Sometimes their prices are not the best and their shipping cost is more, those are when I turn to the other guys.
Old January 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Xfire68

I use to love Midway and I still like that they have a giant selection but, the prices on the items and shipping has gotten out of hand. The same goes for Cabelas where I almost had to change my address to 101 Cabelas Drive because I darn near lived there. I did as Uncle Buck did. I ordered from Powder Valley and saved almost $100 over what it would have cost me at Cabelas.
Old January 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #24
MNDroptyne

Can I watch your DVD?
Old January 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I always buy brass in bulk...No big issues with it...I full length size it anyway after getting it NO matter where I bought it from..Anyones a fool not to resize new brass....
At a minimum, I'll neck size any new brass, before using it. (Or the first 1/4" to 1/2" of straight-walled cases.)

This wasn't an issue with the case mouths being out-of-round. It was an issue with nicks, and dings to the case mouth, that will lead to premature cracking. When I pay nearly $1 apiece for a straight-walled case, the mouth needs to be in good condition.

At first glance, the .444 brass appeared to be in better condition than the .35 Whelen brass I complained about last year. But, the nicks in the case mouths were too deep for me; at $0.90 each, anyway; and far deeper than those in the .35 Whelen case mouths. (Which you can barely see in the photo. )

The .35 Whelen brass: (This was a local purchase, not Midway.)

Midway always takes care of any issues that come up with my orders. But, it really sucks when they screw up on the one item you needed the most.

(I order enough from Midway, that problems will be encountered. Since they handle those issues well, I continue to do business with them.)