The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Sphawley

Fox BSE series (Savage) 2nd gen. 12 ga. shotgun

Thoughts and opinions on this gun? Found someone selling one with shortened barrels (19-3/4) for $425.

Haven't been able to find to many first hand reviews on this gun, anyone out there have one?? Good, bad, indifferent thoughts...open to them all!
Old October 27, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Doyle

WAYYYY too much money for a bubba'd BSE. I've seen unaltered Fox BSEs in good shape go for less.
Old October 27, 2011, 11:17 AM   #3
jmr40

I bought one new in 1974 for $125. Worked all summer mowing grass @ $3/yard to save the money. Gun stopped working on the first dove hunt and over the next 10 years it was literally in a gunsmiths shop more than in my home. I traded it for a revolver in 1984 right after I got it back from the shop. It functioned when I sold it, but the ejectors still didn't work right.

All of the Stevens/Savage shotguns used cheap stamped internal parts made from soft metal that were never intended to be used much. Almost all of those guns have already been used past the point they were designed to last. They were made to last a lifetime for a guy who only shot a box or less per year.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
oneounceload

I have the 20n gauge version and I agree about the longevity - mine needed work after a few thousand rounds - and these were 99% target loads

My Brownings and SKBs go 100X times further before needing that type of work
Old October 27, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Murrdock

Quote:
I bought one new in 1974 for $125. Worked all summer mowing grass @ $3/yard to save the money. Gun stopped working on the first dove hunt and over the next 10 years it was literally in a gunsmiths shop more than in my home. I traded it for a revolver in 1984 right after I got it back from the shop. It functioned when I sold it, but the ejectors still didn't work right.

All of the Stevens/Savage shotguns used cheap stamped internal parts made from soft metal that were never intended to be used much. Almost all of those guns have already been used past the point they were designed to last. They were made to last a lifetime for a guy who only shot a box or less per year.
I bought a 1962 Stevens 311 for $250 and I've put 600 rounds through it since August (mostly trap and skeet, but I've also shot 20 birds).

The thing has been flawless and fits my body perfectly. I can't seem to miss with the thing and it's a full/modified choke setup.

You must have got a lemon.