The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you practiced shooting from a moving vehicle?
Yes, I think it's an important skill. 9 16.36%
Yes, I think it's a novel idea. 3 5.45%
No, I would like to and see a need for it. 15 27.27%
No, I see no value in doing so. 28 50.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 7, 2008, 09:46 AM   #26
pax

PzGren,

As I said in post #3, it does sound fun and if done safely I see no real harm in it. That's a different question from whether it has a practical value for an ordinary citizen, which was the question that started this thread.

As for the DA trigger pulls, there's a purpose. I'm still gathering factoids here & there....

pax
Old September 7, 2008, 06:07 PM   #27
threegun

Quote:
Pax, What about a scenario which the bad guy is both mobile and armed?

I have very limited experience shooting from a moving vehicle but only at stationary targets. I believe that my biggest need would be to fire from a moving at a moving vehicle that is firing at me and not allowing my escape. This scenario possibility increasing with the rise in gang activity and the trend toward robbery and attacks by BG's on motorists.
The possibilities are going up for sure.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:32 PM   #28
12GaugeShuggoth

I've both practiced and used that particular skill on our farm, firing from the bed of a moving pickup. When a group of rabid pit bulls is roaming around looking for something to bite it's a nice skill to have IMO. There was a stretch where it seemed like every couple of months we'd encounter a rabid dog (many times pit bulls) wandering around on the farm.....no clue where they came from. Only one time did they make it up towards the house and attack any of our animals. We lost 6 chickens that afternoon, along with 3 12 gauge 00buckshot shells and 10 rounds of hollow-point .22 lr. Not sure but they definitely looked like fighting dogs IMO.

On a more tactical perspective, I could realistically see shooting back at armed opponents who are firing from cover (buildings, vehicles, barricades) in an urban riot setting. Then again, I'd just assume not to be in the urban setting to begin with, riot or not

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old September 8, 2008, 06:57 AM   #29
PzGren

Quote:
As for the DA trigger pulls, there's a purpose. I'm still gathering factoids here & there....
Pax,

I am looking forward to your report, always eager to learn and experiment.

I tried shooting from a moving vehicle before I moved to an unfriendly country where kidnappings are quite ordinairy.