The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 1, 2001, 05:58 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Could a shotgun scope with 1/4" adjustments @ 1oo yards be used on a rifle?

I have found a Bushnell 4x32 that has a great reticle setup------------very thick with a circle in the middle. This will work perfect on my lease which is an area of deep thickets, heavy hardwood timber and dense pine fields. The scope has the 1/4" at 100 yard adjustment like any other scope. Will it work on my .30-06 brush rifle in an application where the longest shot will be 75 yards?

Thanks
Old December 1, 2001, 06:44 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes.
The parallax is set closer than the usual riflescope 150 - 200 yards which is all to the good for the use you describe.
Old December 1, 2001, 08:39 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Will............should work great for your application. Maby even call it a "Tactical Brush Rifle Scope" and charge a lot extra for puttin em on other folk's guns.

Sam
Old December 1, 2001, 10:54 PM   #4
Will Beararms

CR Sam:

You may be on to something there. Through out all you know about the typical South Texas hunt or Iowa corn field shoot and imagine hunting in a creek bottom that is covered in Oaks never cut. Then imagine working your way out of the bottoms up a pine field that is managed by a professional forrester and it's just full of young pine trees. Think of a mature pine field with huge towering pines in every direction up on a hill. Finally imagine behind the pine field in another bottom, a dense thicket teaming with briars and undergrowth and you will have the exact description of the place I hunt in Bradley County Arkansas which is in the extreme southern part of the state.

Never have I heard a Buck that I killed. They always are seen within 40 to 60 yards slipping. There is no time to use a rangefinder and adjusting a variable scope is simply not an option. Thus my penchant for the 4X scope. I can shoot a buck at 30 yards or 100 yards and have a good line of sight. There is no margin of error and a strong caliber is needed to bring the deer down. If they run too far, you'll never find em' in the dense undergrowth. The longest shot I have ever made is 60 yards!

For years, the economy was so bad down there, everyone shot any thing that moved and as such there were just no big bucks. That is changing and the deer are getting bigger in size and in number of points. If you've never hunted in this environment make sure you have plenty of medicene on hand if hypertension is an issue-------------there's nothing like it.
Old December 1, 2001, 11:56 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Will, I used to live in similar area. And pot hunted. Longest deer shot I have taken was bout 150yds. Most from 5 to 50yds. One way to get the heart pumpin is have bedded elk explode from bout five feet in front of you. No, no shot there, just totally shocked.

Sam