The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 14, 2016, 10:45 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Looking for a book..

Does anyone know if there is a book about the Indian Ishapore .308 rifles?
Old December 15, 2016, 08:50 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

While not a dedicated book on the subject, Ian Skennerton's The Lee Enfield Story is pretty extensive in its coverage. It's akin to a Bruce Canfield book on the 03 Springfield or a Scott Duff book on the Garand.

ETA: Just looked through it and it has one page on the Ishapore 7.62. Want it copied and sent? The bulk of the material on Ishapore is on the .303.
Old December 15, 2016, 02:04 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Thanks for the offer, but no. I don't need the information a friend is looking for a book, if there is one. I just gave him one of the rifles (Merry Christmas!), and he is wondering if there is an actual book specifically on them, to add to his already extensive library.

We have information about them in other SMLE books, Small Arms of the World, etc. Just wondering if anyone knew of a book specifically about them.

Again, thanks, and I'll pass on to him the book you mentioned.
Old December 16, 2016, 11:51 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would like to see a book on Ishapore and its products, including but not limited to the No.2's. I understand that such a book has been proposed but the idea was firmly rejected by the Indian government, partly at least to maintain its facade of "peace and non-violence" in keeping with Hindu philosophy.

Jim
Old December 16, 2016, 01:38 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

I think this is the only game. You should be able to order it via your favourite book shop with the 'Product details' at the bottom if you want. Amazon will likely be faster and they'll gift wrap it.
https://www.amazon.com/British-Enfie.../dp/1882391160
Old January 9, 2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Mk VII

India's Enfields; The Lee-Enfield Rifle in India, 1905-2000 by Robert W. Edwards is probably the only one which is exclusively about the subject.