The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Time to "make meat"

Hey!! who's all headed out for a B/P hunt this year?
What' cha taken along for a "Smoke pole?"
Does the Mrs. or Ms. also hunt along side you? or perhaps a Son or Daughter?

Again this is the time of year many of us fellers wait for.
Time to "make Meat." as those Old Timers use to say.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
bushmaster65

actually, I have never hunted a day in my life
BUT
By this time next year, I plan to be supplementing my
families protein intake with venison and wild hog.
I see the light at the end of this economic tunnel,
and I think most of us know its a freight train!
Not gonna wait till its to late.
But texas has all kinds of meat on the hoof.
lookin forward to the beginners class
Old November 21, 2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Hawg

Already got a young doe with my .54 Hawken. Dunno when I'll get to go again. Maybe this weekend.

Old November 21, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Already got a young doe with my .54 Hawken
No blood shot meat on that one. She be a tasty one no doubt. Economy size for the freezer too. My complements Sir. On a job well done Hawg. A spike or a doe that size are my favorite too. Have had my share of big ones. By the way morning or evenings hunt Sir? (shot)

Quote:
Not gonna wait till its to late.
Once you get started things/ways fall in place bushmaster65. After all it is part of your heritage Sir. If you have a Rifle or Pistol Range available. Go check it out. Maybe rent something to shoot. 22 cal rifle /pistol is excellent to start out with. (Accurate, not overwhelming but fun, and fairly cheap to shoot.) You can always hang out here on TFLF and lean a little something everyday. Ask a question or two now and then. Many here are over anxious to give answers that come from experience. If you have spare income available. Perhaps book a hunt. How ever you go about getting started it's all good._

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: to add pix
Old November 21, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
shortwave

Very nice display Sure Shot. Too, the added touch of the (partial) pistol shooting trophy at the bottom is a nice touch as well...

...and a very good post/advice to bushmaster.

We have a week long early bp season that is in the middle of Oct. and is limited to certain zones.
Our week long shotgun season opens this coming Mon. We can use bp in the shotgun season.
Then our FOUR DAY ONLY () bp season opened to all zones that is the first week in Feb.

I don't hunt the early bp season and use bp in the shotgun and late bp season. I usually divide days up between different bp rifles, trying(but usually not succeeding) in taking a deer with each rifle.

This year will be a T/C Encore and Rem. 700 inlines, both in .50cal.
Then a T/C Hawkins in .50 cal and a T/C Seneca in .45cal.

Since the Seneca is the newest edition to the fold and has never killed a deer, I'll more start Monday morning with it. Can't wait.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Gee I'd like a seasoning opening in Oct Shortwave. Mn rules have us B/P hunters playing second fiddle to those modern rifle hunters who tear up the woods so badly in their quest for meat first.
Our B/P hunting season starts here the weekend after Thanks Giving and runs two weeks and three weekends long. That first week is OK. But up where I hunt the weather can change so quick in that second week. From cold >low 20s and snow to down right -25 below and windy. Regardless of the weather I'm always up & ready to jump in that old Chevy for hunt Shortwave.
Your comment about my trophy: Oops I didn't notice that trophy guy before. Hmm~~ that Sir was unintentional
So you have a Seneca. Lucky dog U!! I've been looking for a Seneca or a Cherokee for many years. The only ones I've encountered were already hanging on other peoples walls. And when asked what they would take to sell theirs? I'd have to consider signing over a pension check for it. So I'm still looking. Some day maybe._ By the way thanks for the complement in regards to bushmaster. Appreciate it. Happy Thanks Giving Shortwave.
Old November 21, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Hawg

it was a morning hunt Sureshot. I got to the woods just after light and got set up. Wasn't fifteen minutes this one and a smaller one came out of the woods about 65 yards away. I had a good broadside shot at first but I bumped the stock against the wall of the shooting house and spooked her a little. She stared me down for a few minutes and then turned away from me. I shot her behind the left ear and the ball sucked her eyeball in and came out her mouth. She dropped like she'd been poleaxed.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
robhof

robhof

Got a freezer of doe thanks to a car injured deer on side of road, finished her with the ROA 30gr and round ball on top of lube wad. Had a turkey hit my jeep a few years ago and I had to finish him off and serve him up for Thanksgiving, so this is my 2nd roadkill holiday. The Turkey was 2 days and 5 yrs earlier than the doe.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I shot her behind the left ear
Now that's the best way to dispatch and animal. Leave it to the guys with experience.
"One shot! Brown is down in Mississippi fellers."

Quote:
Got a freezer of doe
I'm not quite so lucky. Have to go chase mine around in the woods for a few days before I can draw a bead on one. Was there much damage on her robhof? Sound like you were in the right spot at the right time for that deer and for that turkey also. Ruger Old Army seems to be working out fine for you Sir. Being it was you who dispatched that deer in its end of life. I'm happy you took her home for the freezer. I know it was an effort on your part. This is certainly a Plus 1. in your column Sir. _ S/S
Old November 21, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
Gee I'd like a seasoning opening in Oct Shortwave.
Sure Shot

It would really be nice if it was a statewide early bp season. The problem with this early season is it is restricted to three public hunting areas, Wildcat Hollow, Shawnee State Forest and Salt Fork Wildlife Area. The last time I went(years ago) I felt like I was in the middle of a war zone.
Sun came up and the hillside was full of a sea of hunter orange. If one deer ran down the hill, the whole hillside irrupted in smoke. Felt like low crawling to the truck to get outta there. Been invited several times to go back but that's just not enjoyable for me.

Quote:
Our B/P hunting season starts here the weekend after Thanks Giving and runs two weeks and three weekends long.
Sure wish our statewide bp season was that long. There's a group of us that have lobbied to the point of almost begging ODNR to extend our bp season without success.

I'll keep my eyes peeled this way for a Seneca for ya...and..

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well sir.

Last edited by shortwave; November 21, 2012 at 09:39 PM.