The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 25, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
cat9x

AWC Amphibian info?

Does anyone have links to articles, reviews, or have first hand experience with an AWC Amphibian? I've been considering the purchase of one and would like more information particularly from people who have knowledge of AWC and their products. Thanks in advance!
Old September 27, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
kimbershot

awc

hi,
i own an amphibian 11. had it since april this year. the recommended ammo is high speed remingtons--but basically it works best with any plated ammo. i use cheap walmart feds and remington hp's--36gr. i also have 40 gr. winc hester hp plated.

i did install volquartsen trigger group, as standard ruger has alot of slack and creep. the weapon is very quiet. i shoot in my basement as well as at a friend's property (off deck). people in adjacent room inside house--maybe 8 feet away are unaware of any shooting activity. someone standing 10-15 feet away outside--only hears gun cycling--and no report.

i shoot wet and dry, with wet being even quieter. you need about 1 tablespoon of water, though instructions call for more--gets too messy.

i don't shoot with muffs--not necessary.

cleaning--i shoot maybe 250-300 rounds before i field strip it. i use non clorinated brake cleaner spray on lower (grips removed), followed by scrubbing with a toothbrush and oiling. i soak the can and bolt in a pvc tube with endcaps that i fill with kerosene. then i wire brush the barrel, wash out in hot soapy water and reassemble the whole thing.

accuracy is pretty good--but i am a plinker and keep my shooting to no more than 50 ft. (25 feet more the norm).

i hope this proves helpful.

kimbershot
Old September 28, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
cat9x

kimbershot,

could you recommend a place of purchase? I've seen prices range from $1200-1400. It's a toss up between the Amphibian and a Colt 6920. Thanks for the insight.
Old September 29, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4
kimbershot

amphibian

hi again,

i purchased my amphibian from a stocking dealer in connecticut. my understanding is that awc has these units in stock and will ship on order to your class 111 dealer (with $$ down). i paid $1329.00 retail, plus transfer tax.
my actual out of pocket was less though, as i traded several other weapons that i actually made $$ on.

ps on the colt--cmt (continental machine tool in new britain, ct is the major supplier for colt. stag--is owned by the son and is right next door. there are only a few contractors making uppers, lowers and parts. bushmaster barrels are now made by marlin--new haven ct. bottom line--you can put together your own lower (very easy) or buy a completed lower and you can do the same with the upper. you will save 2-300 going this route--can then consider ciener kit or dedicated upper 22lr--very versatile and cheap--also opens up possibility of 223 can or 22 lr can (interchangable on other 22's). have fun!