The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
mumblyj0e

Ruger LCP or Bersa Thunder CC

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice on CCW. Currently I have a Glock 26 and absolutely love it. The trigger pull, the overall weight, reliability, accuracy, the power and price of 9mm rounds- it's all pretty much perfect. The one drawback is that it's just too chunky to conceal with summer clothing, and where I live Summer starts early, stays late and soaks the city in sweat and humidity about 8 months out of the year. The other drawback is that 9mm is next to impossible to find lately, while 380 is still showing up regularly on local store shelves. Variety would certainly be a boon to practice.

I noted a number of people with the a similar predicament got a little 380 like the LCP and carried it according to the situation. My concern, though, is that if I go for the LCP, I'd end up carrying it as my primary CCW 8 or 9 months out of the year and as such a tiny little thing with a 2.75 inch barrel will simply won't be accurate enough to serve as a primary that often.

Instead, I have been hearing really good things about the Bersa Thunder, particularly its accuracy of the blowback design. I got to handle a couple standard Bersa's and found them both to be extremely comfortable, but not much more concealable than the Glock due to the width of the grip and barrel length.

I wanted to see if anyone has experience with the Bersa Thunder CC. Unfortunately there aren't any locally for me to check out. Is it streamlined and slim enough to conceal with shorts and a normal length t-shirt? How is the weight loaded? It appears to be a little shorter and lighter than the standard models- does anyone find it pocketable? how is the accuracy with the shorter barrel?

Thanks!
Old April 14, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
My concern, though, is that if I go for the LCP, I'd end up carrying it as my primary CCW 8 or 9 months out of the year and as such a tiny little thing with a 2.75 inch barrel will simply won't be accurate enough to serve as a primary that often.
Most self defense shootings happen at less than 7 yards. The LCP, even with its virtually non existence sights is plenty accurate in that role.

There might be other reasons to pick the Bersa, but that isn't one.

I have a LCP, great gun, accurate and reliable. Very easy to conceal in virtually any attire. Recoil is a bit harsh due to the guns small size and light weight.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
tjh

What about the lc380 , smaller than the Bersa , bigger than the lcp .
Old April 14, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
michael t

The CC barrel is 3/16" shorter than Thunder Their is no tang like on Thunder So that how shorter .
The finger rest been removed off mag and mag hold 8 not 7 Rear sight real small Thats the height , As for thickness , all controls safety slide lock and take down and grips as thin as possible and still useable . That the basic of what was done

I carry my Thunder IWB and t shirt cover I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of shorts . Gave those up nearly 60yrs ago. I wear jeans and t shirt year around In cold weather I ad a jacket.

Go to http://bersachat.com Lots of CC owners their Talk with them . Their a friendly bunch.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Ruger has a reputation of good guns. My only experience with the LCP is holding one.

The only one who owns one that I met said it was finicky with HP ammo.
For how truthful he was about a gun he owned i don't know. But he did brag on his SR9 so I'll leave the facts about the LCP to someone here who can attest to it's Pros/Cons.

I do however have a thunder 380 and it's been very reliable for me.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
hodaka

I've had an LCP for a few years. It digests all my reloads. Is fairly accurate and easily slips into cargo shorts. It is hot here and although I have better pistols, the LCP seems to always go along.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Any feed issues with HP Hodaka? Just wondering if it is something that one person may have had a problem with in their particular and not something that is common.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
hodaka

All I've ever loaded was Hornady 90 gr HP. That plus Privi hardball. Never a bobble.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
mumblyj0e

Quote:
What about the lc380 , smaller than the Bersa , bigger than the lcp .
Hmm, that is an interesting one. It looks like a good compromise- nicer looking sights too.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:40 PM   #10
mumblyj0e

Quote:
Most self defense shootings happen at less than 7 yards. The LCP, even with its virtually non existence sights is plenty accurate in that role.
Good point. The better concealment options are also an advantage too. Certainly discretion is key to dictating if and how a shooting happens. I was held at gunpoint exactly one time and if I'd had a gun at the time, and they had seen it, I would not be alive today.

This is why the Glock being so easy to print makes me nervous.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11
TailGator

My wife just picked up a Sig P238. Very nicely made little pistol. It weighs about half again as much as the LCP, which is probably at least part of the explanation for the fact that it handles recoil noticeably better. Excellent sights. Not a target pistol, but accuracy is surprisingly good for the size. Trigger is single action and good but not real light. A bit pricey, but I wasn't going to say no to such a good cook.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
The LCP, even with its virtually non existence sights
Worth noting: Ruger seems to have a very recent new "generation" LCP with better sights and an improved trigger pull. So I have heard, and seen a picture of in the Ruger 2013 catalog; however, interestingly enough the LCP pages on Ruger's website have not had images with the newer sights.

LCP is what it is, a very easy to pocket carry, or deep conceal on the body, light don't leave home without it pistol. Extra mag fits easily into a nylon multi-purpose knife sheath on the belt. Put a grip sleeve on and a "pinky plate" on the mag and now you have a very shootable yet at the same time little pistol.

Don't know about the CC, lost interest in Bersa when I compared the size of a Thunder to my Colt Officer's; too close in size for me to consider the Thunder in .380 when the Colt is darn near the same size in .45.

Now, go figure...
Old April 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #13
lee n. field

Also in the mix would be Ruger's new LC380. Basically, an LC9 converted to .380. Compared to the LCP, slightly larger, better sights, one more round in the magazine.

Aimed squarely at the Bersa .380's market niche.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

love the bersa. it's a tac driver and still very easy to conceal.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 15, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
meanmachine1961

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 cc model and it is a great little pistol. I do not believe that it is bigger than a LC380. It is much more concealable than the standard Bersa and has 8 round mags. Just wish that I could find a few of those mags.
Old April 15, 2013, 07:47 PM   #16
buffalo

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus and its great for concealed carry down here in South Florida with a Galco IWB holster,i carry it with a tshirt and shorts and have no problems,plus i get 15+1 with the Plus model.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:29 PM   #17
mumblyj0e

well it looks like i'm going to give them both a try.. I had decided on the Bersa CC since so many were so happy with it and ordered one last night. Then happened across a new LCP locally today. I just made quite a bit off the sale of a WASR last week so I figured I'd just grab the LCP and give them both a try.

At any rate the LCP just disappears in a t-shirt and shorts. Looking forward to giving it a go on the range.

Quote:
Worth noting: Ruger seems to have a very recent new "generation" LCP with better sights and an improved trigger pull. So I have heard, and seen a picture of in the Ruger 2013 catalog; however, interestingly enough the LCP pages on Ruger's website have not had images with the newer sights.
The sights on this one are quite a bit higher than the images i've been seeing online. They don't have any dots or anything to contrast, so looking through them at something dark makes it hard to aim, I might put a couple dots of acrylic paint on there.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:39 PM   #18
ttarp

Quote:
well it looks like i'm going to give them both a try
Thats always a good way to go... Let us know what you think of both.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Also take a good look at the Ruger LC9. Bigger than the Elaie Pea, but smaller than the Bersa, and chambered in 9MM. For something in size a bit smaller than the LC9, but still chambered in 9MM try to find a KAHR CM9.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 16, 2013, 01:33 AM   #20
highbrow

Just picked up a new LCP last week with the better sights and a CTC laser. Awesome little pistol. So far have put 50 rds of Independence 90gr fmj through with no problems. The laser really tightens up the groups at 7-10 paces.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old April 16, 2013, 01:54 AM   #21
LockedBreech

The LCP is a tiny titan. Not only is it very, very concealable (more than any other gun I have found) but it's also startlingly reliable for such a tiny gun.

2.5 years and total reliability with 5-6 different bullet profiles has made mine my go-to pocket protector.

Bersa is apparently a heck of a gun for an Argentinian import, especially at the price point. Based on the ones I have shot and read about, I have nothing bad to say about the brand. But Ruger has a well-deserved nameplate for outstanding customer service and durability.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:59 AM   #22
JimmyR

deleted- cause I'm not all that bright sometimes...

Last edited by JimmyR; April 17, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:19 AM   #23
LockedBreech

Ruger LCP or Bersa Thunder CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
If you like the striker fire action of a Glock, then go with the LCP/LC9/Kahr CM9 suggestions, since they share the striker fire action. I have been consolidating my actions now, and it helps me feel more comfortable with my primary/backup pair.
The LCP and LC9 are hammer-fired guns.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
mumblyj0e

Got to put 120 rounds through the LCP today. got pretty good groups between 6 and 12 inches at 10 yards. It shoots low and to the right but got better the more I shot it. I think painting some white dots on the sights will help. Had absolutely no feed issues or any kind of failures though !! It just gobbled up everything from hollow points to powerball, to remington and PMC FMJ and a mixed bag of old cheapo steel case.

The only "issue" i noticed is that if I lock the slide open (as per range rules) sometimes it snaps shut and chambers a round as soon as I insert the magazine. I could almost consider it a convenience if I knew it would happen reliably.

I'll take out the Bersa as soon as it gets here and see how it does.

Last edited by mumblyj0e; April 16, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:56 PM   #25
mumblyj0e

Quote:
Thats always a good way to go... Let us know what you think of both.
That's what I figured- live with and shoot both, carry both, see which one suits me the best and either sell or (more likely) keep the other for a rainy day.

Quote:
The laser really tightens up the groups at 7-10 paces.
I'll look into a laser for it once things calm down. They only had one sans laser at the store. There was a gun show a while back where they had a ton of them with lasers but wanted upwards of $500 for them.

Tags
bersa , carry , lcp , ruger , thunder