The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 31, 2009, 02:17 PM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
In researching thigh holsters this is from the Galco website.

"How do I draw my firearm?
If you are wearing long pants the firearm may be drawn through the fly zipper. Shorts, skirts and dresses can simply be lifted to draw the firearm."

Unzip my fly to draw? Is that legal in IDPA?

Or get one of the tactical kilts I've seen.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:41 PM   #52
guns and more

What's missing in the original story is that the victim was ex-CIA.
Random killing? We'll never know.
Old March 31, 2009, 05:16 PM   #53
KC Rob

He was not ex-CIA, he had possible connections with CIA, meaning he had contracted or consulted for the CIA at some point. If you live in No. VA and have NOT worked with the CIA in some capacity your are the exception, not the norm. If you are implying that this could have been some kind of hit I think you are mistaken. Police released info that it could have been as many of 5 assailants that beat this guy to death. A hitman would have put a .22 behind the ear while the guy was sleeping, not beat him to death in broad daylight and left enough DNA and physical evidence behind to convict him if they ever catch him. My dad is retired CIA with 25 years of service and I am a Federal contractor so I am pretty plugged into the network and the reality of espionage and "black ops" are very different from the Bourne trilogy and Oliver Stone movies. This was not a hit, IMEO.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:27 PM   #54
edistomick

Davem,

KelTec, Ruger, etc. .380 with cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster (sticky stuff on outside of holster so it stays in pocket when you draw, and doesn't print, just looks like a thin wallet) is just the ticket to carry when wearing anything but undies. It eliminates the excuses.
Strong side front pocket or strong side rear pocket. I carry my moneyclip in front pocket and firearm in rear pocket. This way, if a BG asks for my wallet, I could just pull my .380 if needed.
There are also IWB tuckable holsters (gotta Galco) so you can IWB and tuck/blouse shirt (requires two-handed draw--weak side to lift shirt and strong side to draw).
With so many options out there, there really isn't a reason to not carry when dressed.
I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. If I neglected to carry and one of my loved ones suffered because of it.........I don't know.
A little inconvenience on my part is worth it----everytime.

The odds of needing a firearm may be small but the cost is too high.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:54 PM   #55
djohn

What a wondefull world will live in and Very traggic indeed.I say foregt jail that us tax payers pay for there free room and board and get to lift weights,read books even get jobs in prison that they get paid for.I say gather them all up put them in outside fenced area and call for a airstrike and drop the bomb on them.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:57 PM   #56
davem

I just checked out the you tube on the Rohrbaugh 9m and I think my problem is too large a gun for the clothes I'm wearing. That smaller pistol can easily fit in the front pants pocket- maybe just add a handkerchief over the top. It's not a 1911 but then again a 1911 isn't any good if its at home. I'm also pretty handy with making things of leather- maybe a holster with high flaps that cover the top of the gun, the holster cut to match a pocket.
Old April 1, 2009, 11:27 PM   #57
relee

davem....

I live in Fla. and use a LCP in a Mika pocket holster, front right pocket, no printing and nobody is the wiser. Use a velcro flap cell phone holder on your belt to carry 2 extra mags if needed. Good hot weather setup, quick access, reasonable firepower...

Bob
Old April 4, 2009, 10:36 PM   #58
shep854

For Davem: I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 (a 9mm pistol) in my right front pocket using a pocket holster. Wearing loose ("Dockers"-style) slacks or cargo trousers, the pistol simply disappears. As far as I know, I have never been "made" while pocket carrying, and I likely would have heard something had that happened.
Old April 6, 2009, 10:56 PM   #59
Hokie

Semi-autos will print in a hip pocket, but with the right sheath a small one goes very nicely into cargo pockets (the trick is to get the pockets that are more "decorative" and only designed to expand a little bit).

If you're wearing tucked button-up shirts, I actually had an idea of getting very small magnets and sewing them into the placket of the shirt (I'd get a tailor to do this, though) and then sewing the buttons to the opposite side. It'd hold the front shut but also give as soon as you stuck your hand in to reach a belly band. If you're thin or in athletic shape, you may have a hollow on the outside of your butt where a small gun can sit below the waistline of your pants. The earlier example of cutting out the inside of a pocket is great, too; I'd just suggest cutting from the top, rather than the bottom, so it still functions as a pocket. The Scots used to keep a holdout dagger in their armpit; you can get something in there.

Having a gun is better than not having a gun. A Mini-Revolver in the pocket or P-3AT in an ankle holster beats nothing at all. There are ways out there if you get creative!

Last edited by Hokie; April 7, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old April 7, 2009, 06:44 AM   #60
shep854

You can also use velcro tabs for the same purpose Hokie suggested magnets.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:30 PM   #61
Joe Mamma

Can someone provide a link to the news story? Thanks.

Joe Mamma
Old April 9, 2009, 12:32 PM   #62
Ike1371

I hope they catch the bad guys and put it to them. Always stay prepared for anything.
Old April 9, 2009, 01:30 PM   #63
Ben

I know that a lot of people feel that it couldn't happen to THEM. I'm a police officer and see it happen to THEM on a daily basis. In fact, I'm married to one of THEM. However, she no longer accepts being one of THEM. Soon-to-be victims are are everywhere. Nobody's exempt.

Ben
Old April 10, 2009, 05:48 PM   #64
quinn2187

options for dave

i carry a s&w .38+p in my front right pants pocket of many diferent styles of pants and shorts, never have a problem. they have great inside pocket holsters, i have a desentis. if that doesnt work and you want to tuck in your shirt you could try a belly band. wraps around your belly and you tuck your shirt over it. simply pull your shirt out and you have access to you gun. might be a bit uncomfortable in warm weather though.
Old April 11, 2009, 12:59 PM   #65
Descendant

eye opening thread

Buzz Kill, you are living up to your handle. Thanks for waking me up about the dangers we think we may not face. I live in Oregon (not Portland) and just yesterday I was thinking "do I really need to carry, nothing is going to happen around here". I'm never leaving home w/out my Snub or 1911.
Kudos to Dwight55-great idea that I've never heard of...
However; like JustKev55 and others, my employment would be terminated if I carried or even had a weapon in my auto. Now I am really in a pickle. I may just risk it and keep a piece in my car.
Old April 11, 2009, 01:23 PM   #66
shep854

Descendant, you might also start quietly looking for another job, where they don't have such draconian rules.
Old April 11, 2009, 03:36 PM   #67
TxPhantom

If anyone thinks there is no danger out there, just watch some of those prison documentaries and how the gangs operate. Just imagine one of those tatted up, muderous, beasts loose in your home or meeting you on the street. Then there are the hopped up crack addicts to contend with. Makes me want to barricade my house and carry several guns!
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old April 11, 2009, 03:38 PM   #68
tblt44

Thats why I got my LCP my go with me anywhere gun
Old April 12, 2009, 08:02 AM   #69
45reloader

I am shocked at how many men won't put up with a little discomfort in order to protect themselves and family.

1. pocket pistols
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...se&ctg_id=4204
2. fanny packs made for guns
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...35&itm_index=0
3. deep carry holsters like these
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...03&itm_index=0
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/3.htm
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...80&itm_index=1
4. belly bands you wear very low a your belt line to hide the whole gun and rig.
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...89&itm_index=0

Come on guys we all you to watching each others backs out there.

This FIST holster would fit anyone's needs check out the video and remember you can even put the clip under your belt.I wear mine in the 5 o'clock position. you can leave just that small part of your shirt untucked and even tuck the shirt under the clip to hold your shirt down.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/3.htm
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" T Jeff.

Last edited by 45reloader; April 12, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:18 AM   #70
Pilot

If you don't feel comfortable carrying in summer clothing, get a little pocket gun. An S&W 642, Keltec, Ruger LCP, etc. Just have something that goes bang to scare the hell out of these thugs.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:04 AM   #71
Brit

A friend was employed by a Police Force, as a Det. Sgt. He used to say he was not part of the real Police (he was boss of a protection detail for a man who was a politician) and never attended a Police Station.

Things changed for him when a female moved in with the boss, a Wife! So now two female Officers were added to the team, Bill (real name, now retired) asked me to drop in and talk to these two Ladies, he was not happy with the way they were carrying the issued pistol.

Pistol, P7 9mm H&K, and one spare Magazine, mode of carry, both of them, a shoulder hung purse. They both used the Subway a lot, my question, "What form do you fill out, when a thief cuts your strap, and heads out on his sneakers, with Gun and badge?" "You following in your heels?"

My advice then and now, you have to dress armed! Pistol must be on person. Whole new wardrobe change, worth it, a great job.
That was not the US of A.

Florida, retired, me! Light weight cargo pants, always, Florida shirts, hang outside the pants, Glock 19, spare G17 mag; flashlight, all the time, 24/7.
Want to look smart, Guyabara shirts, expensive, look good.

You don't like shirts that hang out? Don't ever get attacked by 5 men! Oh it can not happen to you? oh yes it can, it did, and my wee house did not cost $174K. I give good advice (ask my Grand Son) "Dress Armed" good advice.
Old April 16, 2009, 01:06 PM   #72
Daugherty16

Awful Story

This was just an awful story. Maybe worst of all - what the heck were murderous thugs doing out and about at 5:30 am?

I am in CT. We have had a recent spate of home invasions, the worst of which was widely publicized 2 years ago when the BG raped and strangled the wife and 2daughters, then burnt the house down. That was less than 20 minutes from my house. Since then there have been 3 actual home invasions in my "safe" upscale town. One perp actually admitted going there because "that's where the rich white folks are at." It's not about color, obviously; it's targeted because of resident's relatively high income, valuable possessions, and the perp's total disregard for the rule of law or the value of life.

I've been CCW for about 2 years now. Notice the coincidence? i try to carry everywhere, all the time, even working around the house. My wife remains in denial and thinks i'm paranoid. I hope it never happens, but if it does, i'll be strapped and as ready as i can be.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old April 16, 2009, 08:16 PM   #73
Gregory Gauvin

I haven't actually seen targets like this yet, but think it might help train for a SD situation. Instead of the traditional body silhouette, have printed CIVIL LAWSUIT, and you have to shoot in the dots for the i's.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:14 PM   #74
Ben

Gregory Gauvin,

Civil Suit?

I guess SOMEBODY has to be the victim.
Ben
Old April 16, 2009, 09:45 PM   #75
stewart1

smart carry, I carry a p-11 w/extra mag. not noticeable with running shorts and no shirt.