The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2015, 07:06 PM   #26
DanTSX

They need to sell these threaded for a suppressor.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:23 AM   #27
dieselbeef

recently got oneof these. really like it. im not sure why..but its cools as hek

the sights to me arent very good..i will scope it. probly my eyes not the brass front sight.

the magazine wont feed reliably. any manuf. 125 or 158. jhp or jsp. ruger said they will send me a new one and i will work on getting the old one to work.

the slop in the bolt just seems wrong..works ok..but i guess i need to order a shim kit for it.

the trigger is pretty nice tho. and its really cool
Old July 28, 2015, 11:39 AM   #28
NINEX19

dieselbeef,

Sorry to hear about your woes with this gun. I have two magazines, and both feed flawlessly no matter what I feed it (even .38 Specials). Your replacement one will probably be fine. Maybe you got one of those "made on Friday at 4:59pm" ones.

As for the bolt, while it is not the tightest bolt I have ever used, it far from the worst. I can not imagine it is bad enough to shim it.

Sights... yup, I agree. While the iron sights look good and function (if you have good eyes), I do not like the brass bead on the front. Hard to see. I painted mine yellow. That helped me a lot. I would like to scope mine, but decided against it since I knew I was only going to use it for shorter ranges and adding a scope would add weight and defeat the point of a nice light, short carbine. I also could not find a scope that did not make it kind of look ugly... in my opinion.
Old July 28, 2015, 12:45 PM   #29
dieselbeef

im still playin with it. im gonna take the mag and look into it real good. it seems like the rim of the rd is diggin into the back of the mag and jammin it so it wont rotate forward. ill see whats inside and maybe give the spring an extra 1/4 turn or something. it does it even when you have it in your hand and push the rd with your thumb. maybe the recoilhas tightened the long screw. threadlocker maybe. idk..it shot fine for the first 100 rds or so. ate it all

ill never be able use the sights no matter what.

bushnell makes a silver matte trophy....thatll be my choice. id like something smaller but i have 2 of them on other rifles already so im used to using them. and i like em just fine

the 2 piece bolt isnt sloppy? im not used to the 2 piece deal but my american is nothin like this one is
Old July 28, 2015, 12:59 PM   #30
NINEX19

I see what you mean by the bolt being sloppy. Yes, being two pieces, there is a bit more wiggle where they join than a different style bolt. I guess I am just use to it. Mine is not really too bad. I still would not mess with a shim, but yours might be a bit different.
Old July 28, 2015, 02:14 PM   #31
j102

Ruger M77/357 - What a FUN gun!

One thing I would like to mention here. Ruger's Website says that magazine capacity is 5 rounds. Well, it is really a 4 rounds magazine. I guess they say 5 because they see it as 4 plus 1.
Old July 28, 2015, 02:22 PM   #32
NINEX19

Quote:
Originally Posted by j102 View Post
One thing I would like to mention here. Ruger's Website says that magazine capacity is 5 rounds. Well, it is really a 4 rounds magazine. I guess they say 5 because they see it as 4 plus 1.
Actually no, they do hold 5 rounds.
Old July 29, 2015, 06:15 AM   #33
dieselbeef

yeah i get 5 in mine..course it dont matter since it wont feed em.
Old July 29, 2015, 10:13 PM   #34
The Big D

Quote:
Rat shooter, thanks for bringing this to my attention. You are correct it was not 158 grain. I had to go back and look at my records to double check. The @ 2400 fps (actually 2340) load was with 125 grain Remington sjhp using published data of 22 grains compressed H-110. Yes, I was using a chronograph.

Yes, it always puts a smile on my face.
QuickLoad confirms that load is 2350 ft/s out of a 20" barrel, but it is also 49k PSI. Be careful with that one at home kids...
Old July 30, 2015, 06:11 AM   #35
NINEX19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
QuickLoad confirms that load is 2350 ft/s out of a 20" barrel, but it is also 49k PSI. Be careful with that one at home kids...
Thanks for confirming that, Big D. I agree, it should not be a standard round to use because it is high pressure. I have only shot a few as test. I was using it as an example of the versatility of the gun, not necessarily a recommendation.
Old July 30, 2015, 06:35 AM   #36
dieselbeef

have any of ya took a mag apart. the springs on the other end of the rotor. not like a 10/22..what a pita . i tired to rotate it one more time for some more tension..forget that...it fllew apart 10 times til i got i back together. i polished everything inside so ill try it again alongside the one ruger sent me.
i aint happy with the feed problem. nothing worse than a gun that wont load...
Old September 4, 2015, 08:50 AM   #37
dieselbeef

old thread kick cuz if ya got one of these and its still jamming like mine then heres what I did.
cant do any pics so bear with me

the ejector arm that grabs the btm of the rd and pulls it back after its fired has too much spring pressure on it. the rd cannot advance forward into the chamber because the ejector arm is too tight. take it off with by removing the little roll pin in the bolt. DONT LOOSE THE LITTLE SPRING. polish it or sandblast it smooth cuz the machining edges are sharp and the hang up the rd when it tries to advance into the chamber from the mag. the rd doesn't wanna go under the ejector arm cuz the spring is too tight or the sharp edges hang it up. then the rd wont go up the feed ramp or gets slightly cocked sideways and the bolt wont go forward either way. I sanded all the edges on mine and then I cut the spring coils. I took off 1 1/2 coils. it still ejects the rd just fine and the mag can easily push the rd up underneath the ejector arm w/o cocking it sideways.
Old September 4, 2015, 09:01 AM   #38
MarkCO

Love the concept, but not the price, and would also want the muzzle threaded.
Old September 5, 2015, 09:54 PM   #39
j102

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINEX19 View Post
Actually no, they do hold 5 rounds.

I'm not sure, but I believe the package where the magazine comes in says 4 rounds. Again, not sure since I don't have the package anymore.
Old September 6, 2015, 12:20 AM   #40
gyvel

Are there problems with the 77/44? (For example: Is the rate of twist suitable only for certain bullet weights or certain powder loads, etc.?)
SIFE
Old September 6, 2015, 12:21 AM   #41
gyvel

Quote:
Love the concept, but not the price, and would also want the muzzle threaded.
There was one on Gunbroker with the barrel cut to 16" and threaded.
SIFE
Old September 6, 2015, 08:53 AM   #42
NINEX19

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I believe the package where the magazine comes in says 4 rounds. Again, not sure since I don't have the package anymore.
You must be thinking of another gun. The two magazine I have hold 5 and Ruger website confirms it. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...57/models.html

Quote:
Are there problems with the 77/44? (For example: Is the rate of twist suitable only for certain bullet weights or certain powder loads, etc.?)
I have not had any "problems" with the .357 Mag. So I can't answer for the 44 Mag. Like any gun, and reload, you will have to see what it likes and does well for you.
Old September 6, 2015, 11:29 AM   #43
Sharkbite

M77/44 18" threaded barrel.....

Now that would be a cool gun

Tags
.357 magnum , .38 special , m77 , ruger