The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 3, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Firefighter88

I need a multi-tasking rifle scope for a model 70 .270

I know there are lots of threads out there with similar topics but i'm still on the fence about what scope is right for me. I need a scope to primarily hunt deer out to and potentially beyond 250 yds. I want this scope to also be capable of shots out to say 750yds for range fun, since i only own one rifle(for now). I'm leaning toward leupold 3-9x40 vx-2 with the CDS, but not sure if it has a zero stop. Nikon with the bdc seems good but i've only ever used leupold with duplex. What scope is more user friendly, cds vs bdc, what is easiest as far as dialing scope or using reticle to adjust poa. Not sure also where to set zero, will probably set at 100yds. While hunting i most likely will point and shoot, just want to play with CDS or BDC at the range, any opinions or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks...
Old July 3, 2012, 03:21 PM   #2
603Country

That 3 by 9 Leupold should do just fine for you, though my preference for my 270 (and 260) are 4.5 to 14 power scopes. Sight it in to be on at 200 yards and you'll be good to 400 without much holdover. If sighted in at 200, you'll be down 7 inches at 300 and down 20 inches at 400 and it's just point and shoot. Past that you'll probably want to use the BDC type dots. If you're gonna shoot out to 750, that's outside my realm of knowledge, and the long range guys will have to give you their opinions.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Firefighter88

Thanks 603country. I failed to mention its a model 70 featherweight, so i want to stick to the 3-9x40 to keep it practical for carrying in the woods. My dad has the 4.5-14x nikon buckmaster with the BDC on his model 70 and its nice, he was hitting a milk jug at 600 yds almost at will, just seems big to me. I guess i'm more interested in which is more accurate or easy to use as far as a reticle with some sort of yardage compensation, like the BDC, or if dialing the elevation on the scope is best, like the controlled dial system on the leupold. Leupold also has some different reticles like the long range reticle if the CDS isnt dummy proof. Sounds like setting my zero at 200yds would be my best choice if using the bdc. Thanks again for the help.