The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 24, 2017, 07:58 AM   #1
bspillman

Marlin 336

I'm looking to put a peep sight on my 336. I'm wondering if I just put the peep sight on the rear if it would match up to the factory front sight. I like the front sight as is. Can anyone comment on this. Thanks in advance.
Old April 24, 2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Most modern made peeps and rifles made today do not require a front sight change out if intended to be hunted with. Although such a option is available for someone who desires to target shoot to practical distances they can see. (globe type front sight) which has change-out Inserts which change the sight picture. My suggestion: buy a Williams FP rear peep. Be happy there after.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:13 PM   #3
bedlamite

I have the Williams FP-336, and the front sight was too low. I ended up removing the hood and installing a Skinner front sight. The setup works great.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:24 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

How old is your 336?

If it has a front sight installed in the barrel with a dovetail, then you'll likely need to replace the front sight.
If it has a front sight base installed on the barrel with screws, then you may not need to replace the front sight blade.

I depends as much on what rear sight you're looking at and at what range you intend to sight in, as it does what front sight you already have.

With Skinner, Williams, and Lyman receiver sights...
Guys that only shoot 30-50 yards often find factory front sights to be adequate. But guys that sight in at 100, 150, or 200 yards often have to change the front sight blade.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:29 PM   #5
ThomasT

Bedlamite told you right on the Skinner front sight. If you put on a peep type sight the bead covers up too much of the target for my use. If you look at military rifles with a rear peep they are always matched with a blade front sight. The Skinner front blade is the way to go.

I bought one of the williams rear sights in Bedlamites post and don't really like it. It hangs over the rear of the receiver. If your gun is not drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver then that is one choice. But I like these rear sights better. But you will need a taller front sight to go with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...aluminum-black

This has a front site with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...aluminum-black
Old April 24, 2017, 01:34 PM   #6
tahoe2

Put a Williams peep on my 336 and Winny 94, both required a front sight upgrade. The 336 is a 1981 the 94 is a 1974, hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old April 24, 2017, 04:15 PM   #7
random guy

My 1895 with a ramped and hooded gold bead front was a perfect match for both Williams and Lyman rears. Excellent combination. I think some 336s used the same front sight.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:00 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Just for the record...
My recommendation for an aperture sight would be one of the Skinner offerings. (Take your pick. I'm partial to the Winged ("Tactical" ) Sights, since mine go on hunting rigs.)

There's nothing wrong with the other options, other than the Lyman and Williams stuff being made out of aluminum now (used to be all steel).
Just personal preference.
Old April 24, 2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Try a Skinner sight. I use the 'minimalist'.

Deaf
Old April 26, 2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Buckeye!

Skinner ....
Old April 26, 2017, 10:44 PM   #11
bamaranger

dunno

Might, might not. I put a Williams FP on my 1894/.357, and it worked fine with the factory bead.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:19 AM   #12
Berserker

Skinners need new front site. I have done 2 on Marlins.

Height is height no modern someone thinks the gun is.

Making it hard to quote someone and tell them BS, is annoying feature of this site. Highroad is the only other forum like this. It shares some other problems too.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:17 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Height is height no modern someone thinks the gun is.

Making it hard to quote someone and tell them BS, is annoying feature of this site. Highroad is the only other forum like this. It shares some other problems too.
It's not that difficult.
Copy, click 'quote' icon, paste.

And sight height is not sight height.
Front and rear sights changed over the years, as well as barrel taper.
Rifles with dovetail front sights have low profile rear sights, as well.
Rifles with ramp front sights have taller rear sights..

Ignoring other changes over the years, just comparing an older dovetail front sight to a newer ramp front sight often shows a difference of 0.090" to 0.160", depending upon which rear sight each was paired with.

If everything was exactly the same, then everyone or no one would be changing front sights when using a Skinner rear. But, as discussed previously, that is not the case.
Old May 1, 2017, 01:57 PM   #14
oldscot3

Quote:
Making it hard to quote someone and tell them BS, is annoying feature of this site
I find being told BS annoying. We have our dustups occasionally here, but mostly it stays civil unlike some other forums where the snark makes them unworthy of my time or attention.

Last edited by oldscot3; May 1, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:29 PM   #15
Berserker

I say bs, cause it is not true. Because height changes often between peeps and others, you do need a new front site. You do with skinner. Some you may not.

What bothers me more than snark, is what snowflakes men have become. If a man can't handle being disagreed with, I probably can't say what I think of that.

Last edited by Berserker; May 1, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:37 PM   #16
Berserker

Oops. I sent a report that I meant to be a post. Using smart phone.

A person should not have to learn how to use a site. They should be built for the opposite. Especially when I know of only one other site like this, HR. Shares a bit of the sites heavy handedness, and people.

Some people like things out dated and strict. They get institutionalized.

Another cool feature is forums that alert you when someone quotes you.

Last edited by Berserker; May 1, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:21 PM   #17
oldscot3

I've been here awhile, and don't think much heavy handedness exists here. Overall, what I see is an effort to keep topics to our mutual interests and off of trolling, name calling, cursing and smart alec flames that belittle others. If having good manners and behaving on the net just like I would in a public face-to-face makes me a snowflake, I guess I'm a snowflake. Enough of that though.

My experience with sight changes is that every case is unique, some I made required a new front sight. In one case, an 8mm mauser, I was using a handload that shot way flatter than milsurp ammo. No way I could get the rear to work out without a taller front.

Last edited by oldscot3; May 1, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:05 PM   #18
Dane17

I've usually had to change the front sight. Own enough marlins and you will have a bag of various dove tail front sight heights.
Old May 2, 2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Quote:
The 'Minimalist' Skinner sight does not need one. It uses the existing front sight.

Mine has it!

Deaf
Old May 2, 2017, 07:11 PM   #20
baddarryl

Quote:
Quote:
The 'Minimalist' Skinner sight does not need one. It uses the existing front sight.

Mine has it!
What year is that Texan? I have a 71 with I think that same front sight. It it the ramp with the bead on it? This is just the info I am looking for too.
Old May 2, 2017, 08:26 PM   #21
Berserker

I have replaced two front sites on 1894s with the regular Skinner. Skinner writes about it on his site.

They are taller than the buck horn. Height is the height.
Old May 2, 2017, 09:06 PM   #22
Deaf Smith

Quote:
What year is that Texan? I have a 71 with I think that same front sight. It it the ramp with the bead on it? This is just the info I am looking for too.
baddarryl,

It's a 1967 model. I also have a 1969 one that is near mint but I don't shoot it. Both have the same kind of front sight.

Yes it has a bead on it.

Deaf
Old May 2, 2017, 09:21 PM   #23
Berserker

Is the front site the issue? If the peep sight is taller than orginal rear site, regardless of what is in the front, I suspect you will need a new front site.

Little hard to measure cause buckhorns are farther up the barrell than most peep sites, which are mounted further back.
Old May 3, 2017, 06:47 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

"A person should not have to learn how to use a site."

Direct ALL of your weepy "this site is so horribly, horribly hard to use!" snowflake comments to either TapaTalk or vBulletin, designers of the interfaces.

With the exception of TFL staff turning off quoting, all forum controls are Tapatalk or vBulletin driven.

If you don't like what you're getting here at TFL for free, and without embedded advertising (that's right, the owner of this site pays ALL of the bills), I'm sure there's another site out there that offers the same knowledge base for free, and free of invasive advertising.

Oh, wait, no. There isn't.

Finally, if you think that the front end is oh so confusing, you ought to try being an admin and working in the back end. I suspect your circuits would fry.

To put it bluntly, a syphilitic crack monkey convulsing on the keyboard could have done a better job of designing the back end.

But it's what we have to work with.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 3, 2017, 04:22 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

A baby suckles by instinct. Everything else in life is something you have to learn. That includes websites...