The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2017, 08:18 PM   #26
Blindstitch

Lee makes a scale for $25. It's pretty good for the budget but I like my Lyman a lot better. I use it as a back up and somehow haven't touched it in two years. Also have a Lee Classic C press that I've never used.

If I knew where you were located I might suggest you make me an offer. PM if interested.
Old March 16, 2017, 09:43 PM   #27
Itsa Bughunt

I got a call out to a guy with an unused Lyman Acculine 505. If that doesn't pan out Ill be in touch.
Old March 17, 2017, 11:15 AM   #28
mikld

You can make safe ammo without a scale, but it's better to know, for sure, your powder charge. If you follow the dipping instructions, exactly, then your charges will be safe.
Old March 17, 2017, 08:13 PM   #29
Itsa Bughunt

I got the Lyman 505 for $22.50. Should be here by next week.
Old March 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #30
mtinner

Instead of using a rubber mallet, a small arbor press works perfectly with the Lee loader if loading on a bench.
Old March 18, 2017, 10:18 AM   #31
dahermit

Quote:
Instead of using a rubber mallet, a small arbor press works perfectly with the Lee loader if loading on a bench.
Or a wooden mallet or a large nylon hammer from Harbor Frieght.
Old March 18, 2017, 09:50 PM   #32
joed

I started with a Lee Loader when I bought my first centerfire rifle. Used it for 2 years before buying a Rock Chucker while I lived in an apartment.

Never had a problem with any of the ammo it produced and it built quality ammo. The only thing I added was a scale, trimmer and tool to measure the cases. I still have the Lee Loader, a .25-06 version. For someone to learn reloading it's a great tool.
Old March 20, 2017, 01:20 AM   #33
Itsa Bughunt

I finally got 10 rounds done with the Lee Loader. I used a Craftsman 6oz plastic face hammer. All that banging had me wishing for an arbor press or a Lee hand press.
Does the Lee hand press work with the Lee Loader or do I need a set of dies?
Old March 20, 2017, 04:20 AM   #34
Blindstitch

For all the other presses you have to buy dies. The smack em whack em works but it always feels like a novelty. Of course I tried using it and realized thin walls were going to equal unhappy neighbors quickly.

If you don't have room for a bench the hand press is great. I wish I had the room for a bench but I can size brass on the couch watching tv if I want. Many other people use them to make custom work ups at the range.
Old March 20, 2017, 12:53 PM   #35
ShootistPRS

Quote:
Itsa Bughunt I finally got 10 rounds done with the Lee Loader. I used a Craftsman 6oz plastic face hammer. All that banging had me wishing for an arbor press or a Lee hand press.
Does the Lee hand press work with the Lee Loader or do I need a set of dies?
When I was just starting I used the Lee Loader kits. I used my (big) arbor press in my shop rather than a hammer. My brother and friends were using hammers and I suggested a bottle capping press. They all found used bottle capping presses and the reloading went faster and easier. If you can't find a bottle capping press there are a number of small arbor presses that will also work. It onlytook about three years to realize that I was going to be reloading a lot and I bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I have added to it over the years with all the case prep and related gear but my press is a "rock solid" tool that will last many generations. I do still have my Lee Loaders and I occasionally use the 410 shotgun set but the rest are just for remembering the not so good old days.
Old March 20, 2017, 01:21 PM   #36
hounddawg

like many others here I started with the Lee loader for loading .38/357. I still use one of the hand presses for working up loads at the range and do all my rifle loads at home on a Lee Classic single stage. As they say if it works, why mess with it and the Lee works. I have seen some amazing set ups designed to be used in small apartments using a single stage press and a portable folding work table
Old March 20, 2017, 01:32 PM   #37
mikld

I use a "pad" or anvil which is a lead ingot, 4"x5"x1" thick. Quiet enough. In Lee's video he is using a foam rubber pad (?) which is very quiet...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc
Old March 20, 2017, 02:29 PM   #38
Itsa Bughunt

My first thought was that an arbor press would be great for the job, but I'm finding the height is too short on every bench top model I found. And the price is kind of up there. And they need to be bolted down. Dammit.

I used a magazine to protect my dining room table. Putting a neoprene mouse pad on top of that would make it quieter. I was thinking maybe a smallish dead blow hammer from harbor freight would be better than what I used.

I can see where this is going. I've had other spendy hobbies, astronomy, r/c cars and boats and helis and and and... I've found it's better to get good gear at the start. So I'll content myself with my Lee Loader and a better hammer while I lurk around this subforum and watch Craigs list.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old March 21, 2017, 11:43 AM   #39
mikld

The arbor press I used occasionally with my Lee Loaders is this one; http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-a...ress-3552.html If a step is too "tall" to fit in the press, I just turn the slotted table until a slot/gap is under the ram, and get 4" more depth...
Old March 21, 2017, 03:58 PM   #40
Blindstitch

That's a nice arbor press if you need one. But I'm sure you can buy a press and dies for a similar price.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:04 PM   #41
Itsa Bughunt

Quote:
The arbor press I used occasionally with my Lee Loaders is this one; http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-a...ress-3552.html If a step is too "tall" to fit in the press, I just turn the slotted table until a slot/gap is under the ram, and get 4" more depth...
I went to Harbor Freight last night with my LL to see if it would fit but they didn't have one on display. Measured with the die and the priming cup and the rod and got 6 1/4" before tapping the primer in. Good call, thanks!
Old March 21, 2017, 06:26 PM   #42
Itsa Bughunt

Quote:
That's a nice arbor press if you need one. But I'm sure you can buy a press and dies for a similar price.
True that. $90 for a press and die set.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:25 PM   #43
Blindstitch

I'm sure you're going to learn what many of us already know. Buy the best press that fits your needs and let the Lee Loader become a survival or novelty tool.

But hey you're learning how Lee helped people get into the reloading game. That video of old man Lee cranking out pistol cartridges left and right shows that in the right hand they are great tools.
Old March 22, 2017, 11:11 AM   #44
mikld

I didn't buy the HF arbor press just to use with a Lee Loader, that would be kinda silly. To reloade quietly, of course a single stage or hand press would work better (if I were going to recommend a hand/portable press, I might recommend this one http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p?311889-Video ). I do other stuff around the shop where an arbor press comes in handy. Someone mentioned an arbor press to the OP so I shared what works well for me. I'm even looking at some Sinclair/Wilson dies to use with my "El Cheapo" press, mainly just for fun...

Last edited by mikld; March 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 22, 2017, 04:20 PM   #45
Blindstitch

I had a feeling you had another reason for the arbor.
Old March 22, 2017, 05:29 PM   #46
Itsa Bughunt

The HF 1 Ton Arbor press works great with the Lee Loader. The MSRP is $59 but I used a 20% off coupon which made it about $50 out the door. It's faster and easier than using a hammer.
It's not perfect and needs some tinkering to make it work better.
Old March 22, 2017, 06:29 PM   #47
Blindstitch

Ok just curious do you also have another reason for having an arbor besides having extra tools are great. I probably only need to use one every other year and I work on a lot of motorcycles and other things.
Old March 22, 2017, 08:39 PM   #48
Itsa Bughunt

I can use an arbor press for other things. I think I'd like to learn more about reloading equipment before I spend any more money.
Old March 22, 2017, 08:53 PM   #49
Itsa Bughunt

Quote:
To reloade quietly, of course a single stage or hand press would work better
If my interest in reloading increases, I'll want better equipment than I can afford now. The arbor is a significant improvement for the time being, using what I already have (the Lee Loader and my dining room table).
With the yard sale season almost here, I might find what I need for pennies on the dollar.
Old March 23, 2017, 10:02 AM   #50
Doyle

Bughunt, I second the recommendation for the Lee Hand Press. It is quiet, you can do a full-length resize with it, and it is portable. Everything I need (other than components) to reload 5 sizes of ammo including dies, hand press, calipers, balance scale, etc. fits into a large tool box with room to spare.