The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2000, 09:38 PM   #1
VictorLouis

Those are the ones it seems that most posters have bought. My example's safety is best described as 'mushy', in both the on and off positions. The only new 'commercial' ones I have found at dealers are in .40 caliber. They all have very stiff safties which firmly lock into both positions, AND are ambidextrous too. Do any of you have a 9mm version that is so equipped?
Old December 23, 2000, 10:27 PM   #2
Marcus

If the CZs you saw had ampi. safetys they weren`t 75s they were 85s. Also FWIW my 75 is a Mil. and the safety goes on and off with a nice crisp click. Maybe you should have your looked at and/or fitted with the 85 ampi. safety. Marcus
Old December 23, 2000, 11:36 PM   #3
shiroikuma

I have a comercial electroless nickel one in 9mm. It has a safety that snicks very snugly, though a little less loudly or stiffly compared to a colt 1911. It is on one side only. I did get to shoot a .40 that my dealer got by mistake when ordering mine... he let me try it out.. it had ambi safeties to and fixed sights and was a CZ75 not an 85. Maybe the .40 just come standard with ambi safties for some reason. My 9mm safety is less stiff than a colt I just bought but still seems very positive to me and definately makes a click as it goes on or off.

Hope that helps.

shiro in AK
Old December 23, 2000, 11:41 PM   #4
VictorLouis

I politely beg to differ, Marcus.:)

My year 2000 .40 is a 75B, with an ambi-safety only. Mine is polymer coated like the Military, but I have seen and handled a gorgeous blued one also. The safety of my 9mm is the same on my friend's Military, and on at least 3 other examples of that version that I have handled. If your's is positive, then perhaps there is some hope for mine.

Shiro, you get the cigar for the 1911 comparison. My .40 is just as positive as a good 1911, but my 9mm feels more like a Hi-Power. You can feel the detents engage into position, it just doesn't take much of an effort to manipulate it.
Old December 24, 2000, 12:01 AM   #5
railroader

I just did the paperwork for a military cz75 the other day.. I am right now in the middle of my ten day waiting period. When the gun I ordered came in to the dealer and I checked it out, the first thing I noticed is that the safety didn't seem to have a real positive click to it. I'm comparing it against my Arcus highpower, Kimber and a Firestar which all have a definate click to them. The glow in the dark paint on the front sight is kinda messed up too, so I might have to send it back to CZ. Does anyone know how long CZ takes when you send a gun in for repair.
Old December 24, 2000, 12:11 AM   #6
MTAA

My Turkish surplus CZ safety works real well, more of a "click" than my Kimber. AS far as the sights go, you might want to contact J&G sales (website?), they have replacement sights at a good price for the CZ.
Old December 24, 2000, 03:29 AM   #7
shiroikuma

A cigar woo hoo! Just e-mail it to me Victor he he he

As to CZ-USA's service... I've sent two things back to the factory. First I sent back my whole Kadet conversion unit because I wanted the newer type of firing pin as the old style round one was not ignigting my .22's reliably. That took more than a month..I called 'em and asked what was going on and it showed up a little later. They did give me an entirely new unit, with the same old style firing pin as they were all out of the new style ones. Second I sent in a magazine for the Kadet as the spring was weak and not locking the slide back. Got the new one in about a week. Oh, when I called about the magazine before sending it back I complained about the old style firing pin again, they had new ones in and sent me one free in 3 days.

I rate them A++

shiro in AK
Old December 24, 2000, 10:03 PM   #8
Destructo6

Is the only complaint that the safety is "mushy"?

It's not a big deal to examine the safety detent mechanism. Under the safety lever on the left side, a small plate slides within a groove, just forward of the safety's pivot shaft, and that plate is acted upon by a pin that extends from the safety lever. The plate is V-shaped, with the point facing forward, against the lever's pin. A coil spring, located in a hole that traverses the safety pivot, pushes the plate firmly against the lever's pin.

If you're very careful in removing the safety, you can remove the safety, plate, and spring as a complete unit.

If the plate does pop out, it's pretty time consuming and frustrating to get back in place. There's actually a small hole through the safety lever and plate that looks like it could be used, by inserting a pin, to keep everything together. I tried, but it didn't seem to align.

If that v-shaped plate is more rounded than pointed, or the coil spring is binding, I suppose that would account for a mushy feel.
Old December 25, 2000, 01:32 PM   #9
VictorLouis

Did you earn your handle by working on guns?

Just kidding, and thanks.

I will be getting the armorer's manual from CZ for the piece. In the schematic, it looked like something that I hoped would be an easy fix. I've cured a couple of Hi-Powers by enlarging the detents to more closely match the shape of the ball bearings in their safety levers. This looks to be somewhat similar.