The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2018, 09:56 PM   #26
Sunday Shooter

I normally fill a 50 cal ammo can with each caliber. For trips to the range I fill empty Hodgdon 1lb cans with a label on the lid. Replenish the powder can when I get home so I'm ready for the next outing.
Old March 23, 2018, 05:39 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

I use the MTM boxes. Lots n lots of them. I bought a few here and a few there. Multiply that by many years, and . . .

Lead ammo almost always gets put in 100 round boxes. Same with 44 Mag and Special, because I only have a few recipes and tend to load them in volume.

They do take more space than ammo cans; but I find it more organized.
Old March 23, 2018, 07:10 PM   #28
rdgantt

I keep a few boxes for when I'm working up loads to keep them organized and ammo cans for target loads.
Old March 23, 2018, 09:57 PM   #29
kmw1954

Berry's Boxes in different colors to color code, one color is RN, one is Flat Point and one is Hollow base. They stack well, carry well and fit well into my bag.
Old March 23, 2018, 11:11 PM   #30
Nick_C_S

I color code with my MTM boxes.

Blue is 38 Special.
Red is 9mm.
Green is 357 Magnum.
Smoke is 10mm.
Blue is 45 ACP (clearly larger than 38 Special)
Green is 44 Mag/Spl (clearly larger than 357).

Side note: 38 DEWC wadcutters fit perfectly in the MTM boxes made for 9mm - like a glove.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:07 PM   #31
Grey_Lion

I currently reuse the ammo trays from purchased ammo - I prefer blazer trays when I can salvage them but I'll use anything I can find at the range.

One thing I REFUSE to do on principle is reuse the production cardboard box.

I never want anyone to mistake a box of reloads for factory.

So I use packaging tape & cut a cardboard sleeve out of any handy thin scrap cardboard - usually cereal boxes - labels in - and write on the top face and side the caliber and bullet style. I had a stamp made with a form / line for all the shell stats, caliber, powder grain and make, bullet grain and make and brass head stamp but don't use it any more - a sharpie is easier. Then these trays go into a .50 ammo can with a couple silicon desiccant packets and that goes in inside storage in a locked cabinet.

In future I hope to start 3-d printing my own ammo trays what will be uniform and perfectly fitted for .50 ammo cans. Most production factory ammo trays don't nest right in standard ammo cans which annoys me to no end.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:56 PM   #32
kmw1954

Bulk boxing I just found that I can use the black empty Berry's Bullets 250 count plastic bullet box for the 45acp I just started loading. Standing up I can get 66 per layer with a cardboard cutout between layers. Works our pretty nice.
Old April 17, 2018, 09:29 PM   #33
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
Bulk boxing I just found that I can use the black empty Berry's Bullets 250 count plastic bullet box for the 45acp I just started loading. Standing up I can get 66 per layer with a cardboard cutout between layers. Works our pretty nice.
That sounds like a good idea. I’ve been using them to hold bullets from my bulk package. I could repurpose them to carry loaded ammo. The Berry’s boxes help me keep different loads straight, but can be difficult pulling rounds out at the range.
Old April 18, 2018, 07:29 AM   #34
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Lion View Post
In future I hope to start 3-d printing my own ammo trays what will be uniform and perfectly fitted for .50 ammo cans. Most production factory ammo trays don't nest right in standard ammo cans which annoys me to no end.
That's a great idea. I wish I had thought of that when I still had my printer. It got to the point where it was just sitting there doing nothing so I sold it.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:06 AM   #35
hounddawg

The plastic 50 round storage boxes are cheap and last forever. Masking tape and a ball point pen makes great labels
Old April 19, 2018, 12:37 AM   #36
Viper225

My Handgun Ammo 38 Special/40 S&W/45GAP/45acp all are bulk loaded in 50 cal ammo cans. I prefer the old side hinge ones.
I put my 357 Maximum/44 Magnum/480 Ruger, and all Rifle ammo in Plastic ammo box's either 50 or 100 round ones.

Bob R