The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 29, 2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Kvon2

New BP Revolver

Picked up a Pietta 1860 Army this week and am very excited about it!

I think I have most of what I need to get it out to the range next weekend but I did have one question. Im seeing a lot of conflicting views on using wads. I saw they were inexpensive but couldn't find any at gander mountain today. I could order them but I don't need anything else and don't really want to pay shipping for something so inexpensive.

My question is, do I really need them? I understand it decreases the risk of chain fires. My revolver is chambered in .44 and I'll be using .454 round balls and my understanding is that should make a pretty solid seal.

What are your guy's thoughts?
Old April 29, 2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Lee44ShooterCnB

Measure each cylinder to be sure
As long as you are shaving off a ring of lead when the ball is rammed down, you should be fine. If you still feel uncomfortable, put some lube on each cylinder.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:25 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

I use lubed wads or lube cookies above the powder and under the ball keep fouling down. More shoots before cleaning when shooting. Black powder fouls your gun rather quickly without lube of some kind.

I have had only one chain fire in 50 years of shooting cap and ball revolvers and that was back in 1970 when I was using no lube of any kind (most of us had never heard of using lube at the time).
Old April 29, 2017, 10:25 PM   #4
Beagle333

It's up to you. I don't use lubed wads, or any wads, but I do use lube over the ball.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Hawg

Lube over the ball is generally messy because most people use way too much. I prefer a lubed wad under it but a lube cookie under it works well also.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:20 AM   #6
rodwhaincamo

In the mid 1800's nobody used a wad or lube over the projectile...

I shot plenty of cylinders without a lubed wad (after I made my own) and all was just fine.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:21 AM   #7
noelf2

Make sure you use the right caps. IMHO, caps falling off under recoil accounts for the most chainfires. It's also MHO that chainfires are not that big a deal. It will surprise you, but they aren't particularly destructive.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:55 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Elmer Keith also felt cap fit was important.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Hawg

I've got one that will chain if you don't use a wad or lube but it won't if you leave five caps off and do use a wad or lube.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:06 AM   #10
roashooter

I have one that wont chain fire
Old April 30, 2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Nodak1858

Normally I use lube over or mostly wads now.
I picked up another 1858 this spring and figured I'd give no lube and no wads a try. The caps fit on very tight and the balls all shaved off a nice ring. I had zero issues and shot the gun until it got too dirty to rotate the cylinder. I will have no qualms in the future if I have to shoot without wads of grease, BUT i will be using them no the less. The fouling is much softer using some kind of lube and I can stay out shooting longer.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Model12Win

Make up a lube cookies and smash them down atop the balls before firing for the first time. This will prevent chainfires and make for a smooth shot down the bore.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:14 PM   #13
sixgunnin

Quote:

I shot plenty of cylinders without a lubed wad (after I made my own) and all was just fine.
Really? I have tried it without grease and the cylinder would not turn after 6 shots with Pyrodex
Old April 30, 2017, 01:25 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Sure they used wads. If they didn't Colt wouldn't have advised against their use. Some used wax over the balls, probably more for waterproofing but still used.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Bishop Creek

Right Hawg, and we need to keep in mind that in the 19th Century, they would load their revolvers for use later, then in an emergency, fire it then clean it and reload for use next time. No shooting a 100 rounds at the range like we do.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:12 PM   #16
rodwhaincamo

"Really? I have tried it without grease and the cylinder would not turn after 6 shots with Pyrodex"

Ruger Old Army and using Triple 7. I got away from using a ball in my cap n ball pistols after I got a custom mold from Accurate around the time I got my Remington NMA.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:33 PM   #17
rodwhaincamo

"Sure they used wads. If they didn't Colt wouldn't have advised against their use. Some used wax over the balls, probably more for waterproofing but still used."

Though it's been some time I had been reading a thread in a traditional forum stating that wads are a 21st century accessory, and that there is no documentation in military usage of such.

Also Colt himself dementrated how his revolver could be loaded and placed in a tub of water while he discussed his pistol without any wax or other sealant and would discharge each chamber afterwards. But then that's not a lube either. None of the conicals I've seen even came with a lube groove, though I've certainly not researched this extensively. My understanding is that lubes weren't used until the cartridge days.

If wads were used prior to the 21st century I'd certainly like to see it.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:41 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
Wads abounded in the 20th century If you need proof they were used in the 19th century look at the loading procedures outlined in presentation cases of the time.
Old May 1, 2017, 09:29 AM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, in the old days instead of a wad we used rancid cornmeal or farina as a filler between the powder and the ball. Feed the wildlife while you shoot.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:17 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
By saying not to use them that would mean they were well known.

Old May 1, 2017, 11:14 AM   #21
drobs

Most of these gentlemen here have been shooting BP longer than I and are older than I am.

That being said, I love shooting my pair of Pietta 1860 Colts. I use .454 diameter ball, wonder wads under the ball over 30gr of FFFg powder, and #10 Remington caps.

I put a dab of TC Bore Butter on the Arbors of each revolver.

I started shooting a Pietta NMA 1858 before buying the 1860's with ball over Pyrodex Pellets (no lube at all). It worked fine but quickly gummed up.

Not too long ago I bought 1k wads and 1k 454 ball from DD4lifeusmc, overseas work keeps getting in the way of shooting.

What am I getting at - you should be fine to shoot ball over powder this time but to keep barrel fouling down - try some wads next time or down the line.
Old May 1, 2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Hawg

Quote:
Though it's been some time I had been reading a thread in a traditional forum stating that wads are a 21st century accessory, and that there is no documentation in military usage of such.
I overlooked this statement before. Of course there isn't any documentation of military usage because the military didn't use them. The military loads were all paper cartridges with conical bullets. Methinks you have your centuries mixed up.
Old May 1, 2017, 03:37 PM   #23
rodwhaincamo

Hmmm... I certainly don't know. But those on the traditional site seem quite certain wads weren't used until the mid 1900's. I've not cared enough to research it though but have just read what others who seem to have had said.
Old May 1, 2017, 03:41 PM   #24
deerslayer303

The first 6 shots out of my '58 NMA has a lubed wad between the powder and ball and lube over the ball. My lube is 1:8 tallow and beezwax. After that it's just the wad only. The lube over tha ball for the first six helps lube the cylinder pin, even though it has lube on it to start with. I have tried shoot the NMA with no lube or wad and well, the cylinder doesn't want to rotate very well after 6 shots. Now the Open tops are a different story. And seem to be more forgiving on the lack of lube, with just some on the Arbor. Especially my Goonerized one. The barrel to cylinder gap is so small you can fire it a very long time woth just lubed wads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2017, 06:08 PM   #25
Bishop Creek

I started shooting cap and ball revolvers in the late 1960s and no one at that time, that I was aware of, used any kind of wads. I first used them when Wonder Wads were introduced in the late '70s as I recall.

I'm wondering if Colt's instructions not to use wads were aimed at folks that had never used a revolver before and were used to stuffing a wad (patch) down a single shot pistol or rifle barrel.