The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 14, 2014, 02:50 PM   #26
reynolds357

I would love to have met Elmer Keith. I have a couple of Elmer Keith tribute revolvers. I guess since I was a fan of Keith, I never cared too much for Jack. Having said that, I am always in the market for collectible firearms. What is the pricing on the JOC rifles? I talked to one of my friends about pricing one of the JOC rifles. He was carrying on something about two grades of them and the higher grade was going to be the valuable one, but he could not find one at the moment.

Last edited by reynolds357; January 14, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 02:59 PM   #27
ColColt

He was a character. I knew it was him whe I looked toward the Guns and Ammo booth and saw a guy with a large Cowboy hat. Me and my brother went waltzing over and sure enough it was him. We talked a little and I saw Guns and Ammo had a mag called "Guns and Ammo Blackpowder" and bought one and asked him to autograph it. He said, "Sure-I think I've got an article in this SOB somewhere. He found it, an article on the Sharp's rifle and signed it. It's among my prized possessions.

I enjoyed both he and Jack's writings and didn't cull either one. They were on opposite sides of the fence but I still enjoyed it all.

The JOC rifles run anywhere from about $2100-2500.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:05 PM   #28
Mystro

I am a student of both...Elmer and my Handgun hunting and Jack and my rifle hunting. I always felt the Elmer pop shots at Jack were unnecessary and juvenile. On the flip side I found the way Jack never shot back extremely classy.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 14, 2014, 03:07 PM   #29
ColColt

The way I look at these two is Elmer was to handguns the way Jack was about the Model 70. They would have been deadly together.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:15 PM   #30
reynolds357

Even though I was not personally there when he signed it, one of the Revolvers has signed paperwork by Keith with it. I need to get the pistol out and look at it again. I had it prepped for long term storage in a packing grease that is similar to cosmoline and stored it away. It would have been awesome to have had the opportunity to meet him in person and talk to him.
Elmer was as accomplished with rifles as he was with pistols. Wby's .30-378 and .338-378 are directly attributable to his wildcatting.

Last edited by reynolds357; January 14, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:15 PM   #31
hooligan1

Wow this thread was about a beautiful rifle, now were talking heros of the past.and Elmers one of my favorite... But lets talk about the op's original thread.
What can a fellar expect to pay for one of these beauty's?
Old January 14, 2014, 07:11 PM   #32
Mystro

Cost is kinda unknown at this point. They are getting harder to find not they were easy to locate when first released. Prices tend to be very firm.
Gunbroker has one up for sale for $2350.00 plus the usual charges. Keep in mind this is THE best model 70 ever produced by the Winchester Custom Shop. Winchester made it very clear this gun is a clear stand out from anything they have ever produced. Then factor in that they asked the family of Jack to borrow the famous #2 to laser measure every aspect of the gun. Then the family had a condition that this gun will be THE only time a Jack OConnor tribute gun is ever to be released. There are so many stars that were aligned with this rifle in itself to make it a no brainer collectors rile to own. This is the 1960's Shelby Cobra of the gun world.

FYI...this is the custom case from the Jack O'Connor Center for these rifles. You need proof of purchase and serial number to even get one. Each gun comes with a claim certificate for the case. They will accept a copy of the certificate so you may keep all your original paper work together for collectors purposes.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 14, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:09 PM   #33
ColColt

I definitely want one of those. Maybe mine will have Lewiston spelled right.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:11 PM   #34
reynolds357

So you want the less valuable one? The error is worth more money.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:14 PM   #35
ColColt

Just teasing Mystro. I've only seen one other that is misspelled. It wouldn't really matter to me if my rifle shot as well as his...or just close.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #36
reynolds357

If I get one, it will not be shot. It will get treated, wrapped, and bagged.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:21 PM   #37
ColColt

I don't have any riles or pistols that are not worthy to be used...waste of money, IMHO. I had a Colt Signature Edition 1861 Black Powder pistol years ago. It was so beautifully done and had Sam Colt's signature on the trigger guard I couldn't bring myself to defile it with black powder so, I admired it a few years and sold it. I'm getting too old to have safe queens.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:23 PM   #38
Mystro

The story behind the misspelling is that a few were done incorrectly and got out. I called the JOC Center and they said they would send out a new case with correct spelling but wanted the original one back. I thought it over and in the world of collectables, the rare misspelled case will certainly be more desirable. I won't use the case simply because I have enough gun bags that I don't have to worry about their collectors value.

Old January 14, 2014, 10:30 PM   #39
ColColt

I can't say that I blame you for putting it back. That's in all likelihood what I'll do. Trips back and forth to the range I carry all mine in hard cases. I won't be taking any chances getting scratches or bumps with the Tribute rifle for sure. It will be like a fine violin in the hands of the Mystro(pun intended).
Old January 14, 2014, 10:39 PM   #40
Mystro

The problem with guns like these is there is so much work put into how they shoot. Being that it is a Jack O'Connor gun, it seems like Jack would only approve of a gun with his name on it to be shot and that takes alot of pressure off using it as it was intended. I understand how some might not feel comfortable carrying around a expensive rifle in the woods but you can't take it with you and life if only valuable with what you do with it and the experiences made. Imagine how you will feel with that first game shot by your prized JOC Rifle. I would bet each trophy taken with it only makes the gun more valuable to you. The gun only becomes even more valuable when its handed down through the family as a true working heirloom.

Old January 14, 2014, 10:44 PM   #41
ColColt

+1
Old January 14, 2014, 10:59 PM   #42
reynolds357

Mystro, the only way I would justify spending that kind of money would be as an investment. If I did not already have hunting rifles that are tack drivers, I might buy one and shoot it. If I can find one, Its going to be a safe queen and maybe my son can sell it 40 years from now and make a nice chunk of change. Not to start the old Jack and Elmer thing up again, but I know Elmer had a huge collection of un-fired collectible guns. I would guess Jack did as well. (Not sure about that though.)
Old January 24, 2014, 02:20 PM   #43
ColColt

I thought I'd just continue with this thread and while I'm not as good at product photography as Mystro, here's my new beauty I picked up today.(PIC heavy)

Old January 24, 2014, 02:47 PM   #44
globemaster3

Beautiful figure in that wood! Can you say jealous? I am!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 24, 2014, 02:57 PM   #45
ColColt

It's rather purdy, I'm bound to say it. The action is so smooth compared to my pre-64 270 and the trigger is superb. Now, if I can just get that stupid glue off the barrel where they put their advertising logo.
Old January 24, 2014, 03:09 PM   #46
Mystro

Looks great..... Try using Goo Gone, that's what I used. A good carnauba car wax will also work.

Old January 24, 2014, 03:14 PM   #47
ColColt

I had some of that but was afraid it might harm the bluing. I finally got it all off. I sure hope it shoots as well or nearly as well as yours. I couldn't find any decently priced ammo where I picked it up. They had some Federal 150 gr but it was $48!! I guess I'll try my reloads first. I'll mount the scope tonight. Right happy with this rifle and can't seem to get my hands off it.
Old January 24, 2014, 07:12 PM   #48
ColColt

Here it is with a Leupold V3 3.5-10X scope. Right appropriate for hunting with new Leupold rings and mounts.

Old January 24, 2014, 07:14 PM   #49
Mystro

Federal Fusion 130 shot very good in mine and is pretty easy to find at Walmart. Try them.

Old January 24, 2014, 07:46 PM   #50
ColColt

I don't recall if those I almost got today were Fusion for sure. I was just awe struck at the $48 price. I'll check WalMart. Meanwhile, I'm going to bewbusy this weeked making some ammo for it and working on the .222 problem as well.