The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Red Wiggler

9x18 Brass

Just getting geared up to reload so will probably be asking some pretty boring questions being a nube . I'v just about made my mind up to go with the Lee turrent press and was wondering if anyone had a source on 9x18 brass ? Any leads would b helpful , thanks !
Old December 29, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
hodaka

Buy Privi or Wolf brass, non-Berdan ammo and save the brass. Also, 9mm is pretty easy to trim down and that works well although it is aggravating to keep it segregated from regular 9mm. Starline makes it from time to time. Other than that, I don't know.
Old December 29, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Also, 9mm is pretty easy to trim down and that works well although it is aggravating to keep it segregated from regular 9mm.
It's a PITA to do it with a hand cranked trimmer, but trimmed, once fired 9mm does work.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 29, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Red Wiggler

Thanks for the help , would like to kick myself for all the 9x18 I left at the range . 9 mm is easier to come by so trimming could be an option . Thanks for the info !
Old December 29, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5
hAkron

I've loaded a lot of Makarov in trimmed Luger brass. The first time you load it you will notices the case seems skinny, but it will fire form to the chamber. I mark mine on the case head with a red sharpie for easier identification, but the marking is gone after I tumble.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
medalguy

Same here. I bought an East German Makarov pistol several years ago and it's just a dream to shoot. I trimmed about 1,000 rounds of 9mm Luger brass and I've reloaded some of it three times now. Mark the case base with a red or black marker so it's easy to keep separate from 9 x 19 brass when you pick it up. Remark after repriming.
Old December 30, 2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Red Wiggler

I agree marking the case would be good to make quick ID , good idea .
Old December 30, 2013, 10:11 PM   #8
hAkron

I'm thinking about getting some ink pads to just mark a bunch at once
Old December 31, 2013, 07:33 AM   #9
hnusz

midway has starline 149.00 for 1000 brass 157.00 for nickel plated
Old December 31, 2013, 12:16 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
The first time you load it you will notices the case seems skinny, but it will fire form to the chamber.
That's why I used once fired 9mm for this purpose. Already expanded.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 31, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
midway has starline 149.00 for 1000 brass 157.00 for nickel plated
We're cheap. "price sensitive."
Old December 31, 2013, 06:41 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

Good luck on recovering your brass is all I can say. My Polish P64 seems to make brass evaporate. I bought 2 boxes of brass case ammo. Out of the 100 rounds fired I found 12 pieces. I just decided to go with ordering steel cased stuff in bulk that came out to just a hair bit cheaper than 9mm Luger. I carry the P64 more than anything else. I fire about 14 rounds a week so reloading for it is not worth it to me. I reload for so many others I do not see myself starting anytime in the foreseeable future.

Good luck. I have seen new unprimed MagTec on Midway in the past though that was a few years ago.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:05 PM   #13
hodaka

I know what you mean about recovering the brass. My EG puts them into low orbit. I don't shoot it much anymore so the cheap steel stuff is probably the way to go. I've always felt a little guilty leaving the trimmed 9mm behind.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:51 PM   #14
AirPirate

I agree with Hodaka (as in Ace 90?) and M&P. My P64 actually does launch fired brass into orbit, and my EG Make sends them to that neighboring county. Love them both, though.

So, my recommendation is to watch for deals on Russian Mak ammo on line. AIM Surplus and Classic Firearms are two that have Makarov in stock sometimes. My last purchase was from Classic, and I got 1500 rounds for about $10.00 per box of 50. I highly recommend Classic (not affiliated), but there are other vendors too.
Old January 5, 2014, 01:07 PM   #15
yetavon

I bought 500 of Starline 9X18 several years ago, and have been reloaded several times without any problems....yet.