The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Bob & Wife

On-line reloading mauals

I've read and probably have all the usual reloading manuals in print. I want to know if anyone has used the on-line manuals and ...has anyone ever down loaded any to a kindle fire? Can anyone rate their on-line manuals from 1 to 10 comparing them to the paper ones out there? I am a big user of LEAD bullets and would love to get more recipes for my 30-30 , 45 ruger 1911, 40 S&W Glocks.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
buck460XVR

On-line info provided by powder and bullet manufacturers, IMHO, is every-bit as legitimate as bound published recipes. Those from reloading websites and on-line forums not-so much. As with any source of reloading recipes, I always try to verify a recipe with a second and/or third source before using it in my firearms.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
steve4102

It is a good idea to check with the Powder manufacturer's Free on-line data whenever you search for data. They are usually up-to-date and very complete. If you are neglecting all the Free powders guys data, you are missing out on a great resource.

I give them all a 10.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Nathan

I like manufacturers web load data over book data because if the ever decide it is not right, they can edit it almost instantly.

Book data is permanent. Certainly books are revised, but that is a slow process compared to updating a webpage. Still good manuals are invaluable for included tips and tricks.
Old October 6, 2013, 03:00 PM   #5
dmazur

From this site -

Kindle Fire

Content formats supported are Kindle Format 8 (KF8), Kindle Mobi, (.azw), TXT, PDF, unrestricted MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.[6]

It appears that PDF is one of the formats supported without loading a reader from Adobe. So that much is done for you.

As an experiment, I just downloaded the Hodgdon's data for .243 Win, .30-06 Sprg, and .44 Mag. They provide a "Print" button and an "Email" button, after selecting the on-line data of interest.

I couldn't find an option for the entire manual. I believe some powder mfgr's may do it this way, but Hodgdon seems to encourage the user to select the cartridge(s) they intend to reload.

There are a number of "print to PDF" drivers available. I use deskPDF, but I understand PDF Creator provides the same functionality and is free. To get the manual sections on your Kindle, get the data from the web site using a PC, print to PDF, then connect the Kindle to your PC with the USB charging cable and copy the PDF file to a suitable location on the Kindle.

Or, if you can't get the Kindle set up as a USB drive, email the manual sections from the PC to your Kindle email account and then save the attachments in the desired location.

I copied the PDF files to my Galaxy Tab, which also uses the Android OS, so I can't think of any reason why the above procedure wouldn't work for your Kindle Fire.

It should probably be noted that the warning information provided by the mfgr probably won't appear in front of every cartridge's data. Hodgdon's does not. So, if you want to remember the H110 warning, for example, you probably should print that page separately.
Old October 14, 2013, 03:45 AM   #6
45long

2 places

The Pages of MD Smith are very handy.

There's also Handloads.com but you have to be careful on that one If they don't list the pressures I stay away from them.

And of course each powder company has online loads.
Old October 14, 2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Salmoneye

Quote:
It is a good idea to check with the Powder manufacturer's Free on-line data whenever you search for data. They are usually up-to-date and very complete.
Usually "up-to-date" in the latest and greatest powder/bullet combinations, but hardly 'complete' in any sense...

Take Alliant as one example...

Up till the mid aughts they published a paper manual with info for up to 9 powders per bullet/cartridge combo...

Simple example is .357 Mag 158gr SJP listed 9 different powders max loads...

Online 'manual' currently lists 5 powders, and 2 of those are 'new' powders...

'Complete' would list 11...

If you call or eMail Alliant, they will assure you that their old data is still valid...

I have found the same with most powder/bullet manufacturers data online...'Current', but nowhere near 'complete'...

But that's why we all have sagging shelves full of manuals...

Old October 15, 2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Tony Z

Much as I like perusing forums, etc., I much prefer my recipes coming from the printed word. I also like to update regularly, keeping older volumes for future reference. For example I have at least 6 editions of the Lyman manual (my favorite resource).

One reference I would like to mention is Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Goes into great detail on calibers, rifle types, etc. and even if you don't find anything interesting to try, makes some great "bathroom" reading!
Old October 15, 2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use the on-line manuals and QuickLoad almost exclusively.

Quite some time ago, I created a thread that contains every official and some unofficial load data sources of which I am aware.
Old October 16, 2013, 02:35 PM   #10
GeauxTide

Have been a member of loaddata.com since their inception. One stop shop.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #11
AlaskanGuy

I use my ipad for almost all of my reloading data these days... Most of the manuals are available in pdf format these days,.... And there are a lot of the real old manuals available also..... Manuals for the 1950's and 1960s are a huge resource for data not included in the new manuals... Like 22 jet... I even found loads for the jet for cast bullets..... One thing to bear in mind though, powders have changed a lot in the last 50 years.... So take that with a grain or two of salt....

Pm me if you need links for the older manuals in PDF format...