The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 5, 2013, 05:57 AM   #1
parkerd

Best TC Encore barrels

I just got a TC Encore for my 16th birthday. With it came a muzzeloader and a .270 barrel. I already have other rifles in .308,30-06,22-250 and a couple others.. I've really been wanting to try a 6.8SPC but I've heard people have issues with this caliber on the encore. But I wanna hear what you all think I should get. I mainly hunt and shoot in the yard nothing too serious.. Looking forward to your ideas!!
Old September 5, 2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'd check with Mike Bellm.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
big al hunter

Lots to choose from here http://www.eabco.com/encore.html I would say something like a 243 or 25-06 would take the lighter end of your collection. If you want bigger some day look at the 45/70. My encore is a 12 ga rifled pro hunter. I'm thinking about adding a barrel in 300 mag. Too many choices....
Old September 6, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
taylorce1

SSK industries, Match Grade Machine, and Bullberry are some others to look at as well. My Encore Endeavor is currently a .204 Ruger, I really need to find a new barrel for it. In the past it has been a .280 GNR, 7mm-08, and a .375 JDJ and probably the .375 JDJ was the best of all the barrels. .204 Ruger is kind of a waste in a single shot IMO.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Doyle

T/C's barrels are generally top-notch. The only negatives I've heard are from the really long (28"?) pro-hunter barrels. It seems they don't resonate right and some people have reported poor accuracy with them. Others have had good luck with them so it may just be the luck of the draw.

One thing to be aware of is that being a single shot, headspace is heavily dependent on the cartridge shoulder riding smoothly on top of the chamber shoulder. That presents a problem for cartridges with a very narrow shoulder (like the .35 whelen). If you want to shoot one of those calibers then you may need to get into reloading so you can control the length better.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Hammerhead

I've had a few barrels made by Match Grade Machine, all were top notch. You can choose your blanks from Shilen and others.