The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
droptrd

Ammo rations?

My LGS told me yesterday as went in to pick up a couple boxes of 45 that he can not sell any more to me for another 3 weeks... When I asked him [about it]? he replied - "i cant tell you why but someone higher up told me or ordered me to do thing s this way". Huh? He runs his own business. He has no boss or higher ups?

Any ideas as what the heck my LGS is talkin about? Id understand if he wanted to prevent hoarding but he was all weird about it.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 27, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Removing profanity
Old March 27, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Ammo rations are fairly common as a way to keep ammo on the shelves, but I've never heard of anything other than "X boxes per day".

And it seems strange that he would institute a policy like that now, when ammo is finally starting to show up on the shelves again.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; March 27, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
lamarw

What else have you been buying from him other than ammo? Is he politely telling you he does not need your business anymore since all you buy is just ammo? I don't know. It just causes one to wonder if he has other customers he considers more valuable for business.

He also could be telling you to become your own boss and start reloading.
Old March 27, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
eman

Everyone has a higher up, if he's married it could have been his wife, if not maybe God spoke to him.
Seriously, it does sounds a little suspicious, maybe he has a silent partner that is the majority owner in the business.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
shafter

Go again tomorrow and try to buy some. Maybe he's giving you a hard time or something.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
gummy jones

stores are doing this now to try to keep things on the shelves and maintain customer flow. i am never a fan of rations but it is what it is and most stores are following suit.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
bonefamily

When I went in to buy some ammunition (.380 I think it was), the owner said that he only had enough to sell to those that buy firearms from him. He admitted that his inventory was low and he wanted to be sure that when someone purchased a firearm from him that they would also be able to have ammunition for that firearm. It made sense to me so I bought another .380 Ok, just kidding on the last part but it did make sense to me. Maybe your LGS is trying to operate in a similar manner.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
alex0535

I would have told them it sounds like they no longer want my business, and I will buy my guns and ammo elsewhere if this is the case.

2 boxes of ammo every 3 weeks? You can find someone else that will appreciate your business more, sell you bullets with a smile and tell you to come back whenever you need more.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
2 boxes of ammo every 3 weeks? You can find someone else that will appreciate your business more, sell you bullets with a smile and tell you to come back whenever you need more.

Not really, not at this time. At least not around here or most other places I know of. There just ain't any ammo out there, especially for the popular common handgun calibers. Could be the LGS was just avoiding the common "buy all they have and then get on Craig's list and sell 'em". Their rationing may well be the reason they had any left at all for the OP. Read thru the ammo threads on any gun forum right now and you find ton's of folks that would give anything for 2 boxes of .45 ammo. The LGS may not get any more ammo for 3 weeks.....and thus spreading it out for all of their customers. The ammo shortage we have now is like the last one, it will end at some point and ammo once again will be fairly easy to get. Hopefully that point is soon. In the meantime, I'll just continue to roll my own.
Old March 27, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
chewie146

As said above, that could be the date of his next shipment. He's going shipment to shipment rather than week to week like the big box stores, as they get trucks more often.
Old March 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
marine6680

Well... the way the OP wrote the quote...

"i cant tell you why but someone higher up told me or ordered me to do thing s this way"

It sounds to me like he is thinking conspiracy... Secret government rules about ammo purchase limits.

Now, it could be innocent rationing to keep ammo on the shelves for as many different customers as possible, and the OP took what was said wrong, or maybe embellishing on what was really said due to his perceived fears... or possibly the store owner could have said that to drum up a little last minute fear induced purchases, before prices cool.

Last edited by marine6680; March 27, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Come and take it.

I think they should do this at Walmart as well. It is an inside joke when you ask the man at the ammo counter whether the line that starts at 4 in the morning for the 7am putting boxes on shelf time are the same men day after day.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Joe_Pike

Maybe his tinfoil hat was too tight.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:38 AM   #14
droptrd

I have bought a few firearms from this guy. One as recently as last month.

Quote:
As said above, that could be the date of his next shipment. He's going shipment to shipment rather than week to week like the big box stores, as they get trucks more often.
This makes sense to me. Just wondering why he went all "conspiricy theory" on me.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Sanity Challenged

Quote:
"i cant tell you why but someone higher up told me or ordered me to do thing s this way".
Sounds like code for "I don't want to spend the next 10 minutes having a discussion about why I should bend my new rule for your special case." Not saying you're the type who would beg & plead for him to bend his rule in his store, but many folks would and he's probably learned by now that this is an easy way to preempt the whining.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Dwight55

I can't speak for other places, . . . but here in central Ohio, . . . someone gave me that kind of run around, . . . be THE last time he would see my face or any of my money.

I am all for the capitalist system of trade we have here, . . . and one of those laws inherent within the system: Those who shaft their customers won't be in business long.

And I say "Good riddance".

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Beentown71

X2 Dwight 55....

He may also be trying to deflect not wanting/able to sell you more. Anyone that assumed I was that dense to believe such a conspiracy would loose my business on principal. I would probably call him out on it also...explanation would be needed.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 28, 2013, 08:54 AM   #18
Come and take it.

The free market allows a seller to choose not to sell, or to sell more than a certain amount.

He is entitled to the way he wants to practice his business just like an individual can choose not to buy from him.

However more than likely he will gain customers rather than lose them by rationing. There will be more people who can actually get at least some ammo there and will appreciate that he rationed his merchandise.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:57 AM   #19
ScottRiqui

Quote:
However more than likely he will gain customers rather than lose them by rationing. There will be more people who can actually get at least some ammo there and will appreciate that he rationed his merchandise.
Plus, the more often you can get somebody in the store for their ration of ammo or components, the more likely they are to buy something else while they're there. But if the shelves are bare for weeks at a time, people might decide just to give up until the shortage is completely over with, so they may not come back for months.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:06 AM   #20
Beentown71

I agree with rationing what you have to be able to get some ammo into more customers hands. The thing that would stick with me would be the reasoning.

The owner stating
Quote:
"i cant tell you why but someone higher up told me or ordered me to do thing s this way"
is complete BS. I don't like to be dished blatant BS. I would look elsewhere.

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 28, 2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Come and take it.

It is a lie. However as someone earlier said he is tired of the drama so if he says something like that people are usually left speechless and won't know how to respond until a week later or they forgot about his excuse altogether.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:45 AM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
I don't like to be dished blatant BS. I would look elsewhere.
I have found that gun dog breeders, gunsmiths and many small gun shop owners have peculiarities and quirks. This doesn't stop me from patronizing them if they have what I want for the price I want to pay. The OP was sold some ammo at a time when ammo is nearly impossible to find. If the shop owner told him some BS story about why he was rationing, so what? If in three weeks the OP needs ammo and the same shop owner is the only one with ammo and is willing to sell him some, you still insist the OP go somewhere else? This is a time when folks are payin' $100 a brick for .22 ammo and payin $200 over MSRP for S&W revolvers. Virtually anyone with ammo is rationing it one way or another so it lasts longer than a day. Sorry, but if I could find a place to sell me two bricks of .22 for pre-frenzy prices right now, I'd gladly listen to 10 minutes of BS, much less one sentence.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:02 PM   #23
Beentown71

Yes, I would still look somewhere else if they are lying to me, especially blatantly. But I am particular who I patronize. If you are not as particular then so be it.

No other choose, sure. But even in this drought of ammo and components I still found enough to hold me over than to buy what he is "selling".

Old March 29, 2013, 05:11 PM   #24
buck460XVR

Quote:
Yes, I would still look somewhere else if they are lying to me, especially blatantly. But I am particular who I patronize. If you are not as particular then so be it.

No other choose, sure. But even in this drought of ammo and components I still found enough to hold me over than to buy what he is "selling".

Beentown...I too was fortunate enough to have enough components that I've yet to be concerned about running out. I also have plenty of .22 LR ammo. But I would still listen to 10 minutes of BS to buy two bricks at pre-frenzy price cause I know we'll never see that price again. When things get back to normal, those same places that held their prices in line and tried to be fair to all their customers are the ones that will get my business. If this was limiting someone else to two cases of primers so I could have one, or vice-versa.......I will go back regardless of what comes outta their mouth as long as they have what I want at the price I want to pay. If it truly was a case of a shop owner telling me to "suck an egg I don't want your business," that's different. IMHO, That doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:28 PM   #25
DeadEye1911

How I've found ammo

In South Texas, I have a Walmart (don't we all), a Bass Pro, and an Academy, and I've found out from each department which days they restock their ammo shelves. All 3 places have ammo limits, but if I'm there the morning that they tell me that the truck is being unloaded and the shelves are being stocked, I almost always get my 3 boxes. Luckily for me, I'm not too desperate for the 9mm, I've had my sites set on the .45acp, so it's a little easier to find. Good luck guys with your hunt.