The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
308Gunner

H&K USP: Is it worth the money?

I'm always on the lookout for 'the next best thing,' the best way to improve my CCW kit for day-to-day use. At the moment the main weapon I use is a Kimber Ultra Carry, and I like it. But, I've always heard great things about the USP, specifically I'm looking at the USP Compact, probably in .40. It's roughly the same size as the Kimber, and would give me 3 more rounds to use in the magazine.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the $800-900 price tag? I've never personally gotten to shoot an H&K, at all. Mostly just go on the second-hand info that they're great, but to be honest, I have avoided them because of the price tag. The usual argument is that another polymer gun, a Glock or XD, could be had for a whole lot less. Pretending for a moment that price isn't an issue, I'm more concerned with how it holds up, how accurate it is, etc.

— George Mason
Old September 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Pilot

I only have one HK polymer pistol, an USP Tactical .45. (my others are all steel P7's) Yes, they are worth the price tag.

Great quality, very accurate, and reliable. A .40 compact will be very snappy in a compact USP, but not anymore than others. They do have a slightly higer bore axis, but it doesn't really bother me. If going compact, I'd get a 9MM, but that's just me.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
osageid

They are nice guns, trigger will be different but let me say this very accurate and overall very durable. Hmmm extra money , you already have nice equipment that is more than average. Sum total you will not be disappointed.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Hiker 1

If you don't mind getting a used one, you can get a great deal on police trade-ins.
I bought my USP .45 with night sights for $589 out the door. Just a little holster-wear, but otherwise it runs great.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:47 PM   #5
ripnbst

I will also recommend looking at the used market. Also, if you are looking at XD's and Glocks don't forget about the S&W M&P pistol line.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
TheSILENTtype

I would drop 1000 on this, and never regret it.

The functionality of the Firearm alone in a time when you actually NEED your CCW has no price tag, as life can not be bought or re-ordered pending satisfaction.

This weapon without any question has the kind of track record IME that a CCW and large pricetag demand.

Checking the same thing out in a used market is never a bad idea. Just test test and test some more.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
308Gunner

Quote:
Also, if you are looking at XD's and Glocks don't forget about the S&W M&P pistol line.
Already own an M&P; very happy with it. I just like a versatile, rounded line, and am not above trying out new ones. I was just more or less covering the 'argument' I usually hear against H&Ks, and that's there are more affordable alternatives.

— George Mason
Old September 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #8
mnhntr

I have 2 USP Compacts, one in 357sig and one in 45acp. Both are worth every penny. Accurate, reliable, and will eat any ammo you feed them. I carry the 45 as my daily CCW.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:01 AM   #9
oldandslow

308, 9/12/12

I have a USPc in .45 and a number of other pistols to compare it to (sigs, SW 3rd gen and 2nd gen, beretta, CZ's). First the good news- it's reliable, accurate and light. The bad news- it's pretty big for a "compact" gun but still carries well. The DA trigger pull is the worst of any of my DA pistols-long, heavy and stacks severely before the hammer drops. The SA trigger is average. Mags are over $50each. Aftermarket parts are often unavailable (I was told I would have to wait six months to get a safety-decocker lever from Germany by one of the larger dealers). And, at least for me, they are overpriced. I think other quality polymer framed pistols are available for hundreds of dollars less and are of equal practical use.

The main use for my USPc-.45 is as a woods/hiking gun. It is easier to clean up the polymer frame than my metal framed guns. If for some reason I lost it I would replace it with another better-priced gun. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old September 12, 2012, 05:41 AM   #10
thedudeabides

Look at the P30. It's an updated version of the USP with better ergo.

I replaced my USPs with the HK45 and P30 and P30L.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:01 AM   #11
45_auto

Quote:
I'm more concerned with how it holds up, how accurate it is, etc.
My experience in over 20 years of pistol training classes is that their reliability and accuracy is the same as a Glock, SIG, M&P, or any other quality gun. Some break down, most run fine. Everyone of them is more accurate than the operator is capable of.

Can't speak to bullseye accuracy, it's possible that they may be able to shoot a 1/4" smaller group from a Ransom rest at 50 yards than anything else. Doesn't matter to me for what I want a pistol for. My personal experience has been that they are bulky and have clunky triggers compared to many other guns available.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:37 AM   #12
ragwd

I have the USP in a 45acp compact, v1. Wonderful pistol, nice reset on trigger, way more accurate than me, never a ftf or fte. Just one of those pistols that feel like it grew from my hand. If price isnt a issue, go for it. But then be prepared for others threads "why are H&K so expensive".
Old September 12, 2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Rinspeed

The P30 fits my hand much better and I assume most would agree.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:14 AM   #14
EdInk

I have not shot that particular model but the USP45 I shot did not strike me as being more than a $750 gun. It felt very "different" than most other duty-type guns. Not better or worse. Just different.

IMHO handgun for more than $850 needs to be more than a basic service pistol. It just depends on what you want really.

Also, H&K makes good products but will not sell the majority of their most desired items to the public. If they do offer a variant of it, they are very modified and goofy-looking versions of the ones people really want to buy. They do not seem to really care or even like the civilian market. This is another (and unrelated) issue that I dislike H&K.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
PSP

Quote:
Also, H&K makes good products but will not sell the majority of their most desired items to the public. If they do offer a variant of it, they are very modified and goofy-looking versions of the ones people really want to buy. They do not seem to really care or even like the civilian market. This is another (and unrelated) issue that I dislike H&K.
What products are you talking about? Other than the MP7 and HK's heavy weapons, you can buy their other arms at your local gun shop. What "goofy-looking versions" are you refering to?

Quote:
H&K USP: Is it worth the money?
Only you can answer that. Is a Monet worth more than a Dali? Because the USP is one of HK's oldest models, there are large numbers of used guns at very reasonable prices available. A new USP runs about $800, a few hundred more than some similar guns. I believe the quality of HK pistols is higher than many lower priced guns, and if that is worth the extra cost, then the price is justified.

I've several USPs and they have all been worth the price to me. I do not, IMHO, consider them overpriced.

Last edited by PSP; September 12, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:44 AM   #16
18DAI

Yes, worth every penny.

I currently own 3 USP's. All of them are 45's. Never a bobble. Reliable and accurate. Very well made guns. Regards 18DAI
Old September 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Dashunde

I bought a USP 45 years ago when they were priced about half of what they are now. I've often thought about picking up another one (HK45) and even though I make 3 times more money now I cant bring myself to shell out $900 for a poly pistol, regardless of how excellent or long lasting it is.
I simply run into a mental wall of diminished return on poly's over $750 because in the end it is plastic.

I went with the $540 Glock 21 instead.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
Mystro

Yes, but I would also suggest paying a little more money for a Sig. I own both HK USP compact and a Sig P229. The Sig is more accurate and has a much better trigger. Just some more options for you.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:26 AM   #19
TunnelRat

1. Only you can decide this.
2. You should find some way to rent one before buying.

You'll doubtless encounter lots of threads about how HKs are very expensive and overpriced, and even I would agree they are. However I haven't personally owned any pistol that has been as reliable, and I have owned over two dozen. If you can find one used that often takes care of the price factor, and because they were so expensive in the first place the original owner usually has taken good care of them (I have a 10 year old P2000 and a brand new one, the condition is almost identical).

Some people don't shoot them well. That's true with any gun. As to the trigger pull there are some very easy spring swaps that I personally do on any HK that I buy that make the trigger much better (the hammer spring and firing pin block spring). It involves knocking out two roll pins total. One thing I do love about HK is that parts are very easy to get online, hkparts.net, and the online community for them is very helpful.

Another option would be to look at their newer P-series of pistols, i.e. P2000 and P30. Both good options. I CC a P2000 and in 1500 rds have never had a malfunction.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 12, 2012, 09:41 AM   #20
Que

As has been said, the used market is a great way to go. My full size UPS 40 with night sights, case, and two mags cost me $450. This gun is from 1994 and I can tell you with some age the trigger improves a great deal. My only addition to the gun has been a jet funnel and 16 round mags. It has had 100% reliability over many rounds.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #21

HK USP worth it?

I sure think so.

Mine has been trouble-free and very accurate for the decade-plus that I've had it.

Wish I could say the same for some others that I have owned.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:51 AM   #22
dgludwig

I have an HK USP 40 and three SIGs. I like all of them but, in my personal opinion, yeah, for what you get (when comparing the build quality, finish, reliability and accuracy with "lesser" pistols, such as the Glock, Beretta, CZ, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, etc.), though they may well be "worth the money", SIGs and HKs are over-priced.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Coltman 77

Worth every penny 308Gunner. But shoot one and see what you think.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 12, 2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Skavatar

it was worth it to me. very good guns.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Hell yes. I say get it. You'll love it!