The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 8, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
BrittB

Break action muzzle loader questions

I'm considering getting a 50 cal muzzle loader. I have noticed that there are two kinds, one being a break action and the other having a bolt action. I'm leaning towards the break action version but I would like to go with whichever is the best. What are the pro's and con's of each?
Old October 8, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Southron

Actually, You Would Be Better Off Getting an Enfield!

I am referring to a replica of the P-58 Enfield Naval Rifle.

[1] The Enfield Rifle is in .577 Caliber and loaded with a charge of 70 Grains of black powder and a 500 Grain Minie Ball, it will have a lot more "Knock Down Power" than a .50 caliber.

[2] Accurized and "Sighted In" the Enfield Naval Rifle can take down a deer at 600 yards! (During the Civil War, Confederate Snipers armed with Enfields actually got kills past 600 yards on a regular basis.)

[3] Rapid Fire for a Muzzleloader-Using "Cartridges," you can fire a round and 20 seconds later, be reloaded and ready to fire another round. This is a very handy feature IF you need a quick "Follow Up Shot" to harvest a wounded deer.

"Modern" In Lines and Break Action muzzle loaders generally take a lot longer to reload. They exist ONLY because shooters that are accustomed to modern breechloading firearms "feel" more comfortable using them. In a lot of ways, they are inferior to high quality replicas of 19th Century Muzzleloading, Military Rifles.
Old October 8, 2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Antique Shooter

Why don't you just get a Sharps? They are a falling block breach loaders, .54 caliber. They can be used with paper cartridges, or you can just drop the bullet into the chamber, fill the entire chamber with powder, close the breech, cap the nipple and shoot. No need to mess with making up paper cartridges.

I don't consider "in line's" muzzleloaders. They arn't any harder to use than a regular rifle. Scopes? Powder pellets? Recoil absorbers? That does not sound like a muzzleloader to me. Iron sights, good ole black powder, and getting kicked by a mule is all in the fun and sport of muzzleloading.

I hope you consider going the more traditional route, it is alot of fun.

Antique Shooter
Old October 9, 2011, 12:56 AM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittB
I have noticed that there are two kinds, one being a break action and the other having a bolt action. I'm leaning towards the break action version but I would like to go with whichever is the best. What are the pro's and con's of each?
That's a difficult question to answer completely because there's many different models of each type, some of which have unique design features which not every other model of its type has.
Generally the break actions seem to have more barrel for their overall length because the action is shorter and more compact.
Some of the bolts can be more difficult to clean because they can have more moving parts that are exposed to powder fouling. But not always.
And the primers of break actions are usually more enclosed and protected from the weather elements.
And the breech plugs of the break actions may be more accessible when it comes time for cleaning. Now days they are being made with finger removable breech plugs, so they can be easier to take apart whether for a thorough cleaning or in the field.

Now having said that, sometimes the hinge pin of some break actions can loosen up which means that the bolt actions may have the more sturdy actions after a long period of time.
Also, many of the break actions have external hammers which means a slower lock time than the bolt actions have. The break action hammer often needs to travel farther to set off the primer, compared to the firing pin of a bolt action needing to travel only a fraction of an inch.
And the bolt actions will often have better and lighter triggers too.
These factors can mean that the bolt actions can be fired with greater accuracy.
And because the bolt actions can be stronger and more sturdy, they're more often used to build custom muzzle loaders that use smokeless powder.

Last edited by arcticap; October 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
MJN77

Quote:
Why don't you just get a Sharps? They are a falling block breach loaders,
A Sharps is not a MUZZLE-loader, as you point out, and not legal to hunt with in some areas, depending how "letter of the law" the local authorities want to be.

Quote:
I don't consider "in line's" muzzleloaders
If it loads from the front, by definition, it's a muzzleloader, unlike the afore mentioned Sharps. I myself agree with Antique Shooter's sentiment, as I have never fired a BP rifle or pistol that was newer than a 1860s design. But that was not the OP's question. As for which new ML rifle is better, I think Arcticap laid out the pros and cons pretty well. I used to work in a pretty big sporting goods store, and we sold a lot more inlines than break actions. FWIW.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Doyle

I had a bolt-action. It was very accurate (CVA Buckhorn Magnum) but it was a PITA to clean and load. I sold it and went to a rolling-block (T/C Omega). Just as accurate and MUCH easier to clean and load. I'm just about ready to sell it because I'm moving up to T/C Encore.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Pahoo

The Evolution of In-Lines

Addressing the basics, In-Lines can be classified into two catagories; Open Breech and Closed Breech. Most bolt actions or striker types are open breech. Unless I missed one, all break actions are closed breech and as arcticap has brought out, are more weather resistance. If you are looking at a hunter, then you might prefer the break and the 209 ignition. I feel it's just a matter of a few months that you will not see any bolt actions being manufactured as they are more expensive to make, than the breaks or straight stikers types. ...

Personally I do not care for either very much, although I do own a couple but has nothing to do with the action as opposed to the ignition system.

As far as which is the best, that is strictly subjective. I have seen some excellent triggers and performance from both. In the future you will see more competition between the breaks. ....

My "Passion" is in my sidelocks but they are all muzzleloaders .....

You money; Your call and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 9, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
BrittB

I would like to pick one up for hunting but I just want to be sure I'm getting a good design and something I will be happy with. I was just reading the regs for my state and noticed the last line about the muzzleloader having to have an open ignition. What does that mean? Do I have to find one that has a side mounted hammer/striker? Otherwise, I can still use all the others in centerfire rifle season but what's the point of that? I could just use my 308 at that point.
Old October 9, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think OP is asking about whether he should get a H&R break open type ml or an inline. I profess ignorance on both and like Southron, would go with a P-58 2 band Enfield or even a 24" Enfield Musketoon. Big .577 minie ball will easily reach out to 500 yards - but you'll have to learn the drop so you don't overshoot your target.
Old October 9, 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Pahoo

Can I see the ignition cap ???

I have no experience with Oregon laws and perhaps others sure do. As far as open ignition, that to me woud be a Traditional SideLock. However, some In-Lines technically, do have open ignition. A break action would not meet that requirement. ...

Fellas, this is just how I'm reading it and sure that a local DNR officer would provide the best info ... ...

Be Safe !!!