The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 11, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
RamSlammer

Bank Carry

Assuming legal carry is permissible; for someone who works (as a vendor) regularly in bank branches in an area where holdups are unfortunately common with some becoming violent, what are opinions on what/where to carry . . .

(1) Normal carry with 1 reload (5 shot .357 Snub-nosed revolver with 5 additional rounds in a speed strip) concealed on your person

- or -

(2) Service sized semi auto 9mm (16+1) with 2 additional magazines in a bag/briefcase which is always near.

While doing both would be best of course, that's not an option. So is it best to have some firepower on you or a lot more very close by?
Old December 11, 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
ElectricHellfire

The way you have it laid out I like option number one more but why can't you carry the auto on you if you can carry the revolver?
Old December 11, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
RamSlammer

Quote:
but why can't you carry the auto on you if you can carry the revolver?
It's a full sized CZ 75 which I have tried to carry, but just can't pull it off for a full day in normal business attire.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
ElectricHellfire

Ah ok then I stand with option 1. Better to have 5 on you.
Old December 11, 2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Rich Miranda

I daily carry a 2.25 inch SP101 in 357. With this gun I only get 5 tries to get it right but with practice and Cor-Bon JHPs in the wheel, I am confident.

IMO, I'd rather have the 5 shots on my person, rather than the 16 shots 4 feet away. Bank robberies (and most violent crime) happens quickly. You may not have the chance to go for your briefcase piece. If you do, you risk getting shot. But a gun on your person can either be used immediately or you can wait until an opportune time to fire point blank.

Of course, your next gun purchase could be a smallish, concealable, relatively high-capacity semi-auto.
Old December 11, 2008, 11:23 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

Whatever the case, have it at the ready. Ever thought of a smaller auto on your ankle, or a smart carry position?

Just a thought for your good. If given the choice, I would rather have my weapon on my person, in case I get seperated from the bag/briefcase.

For example, you could try a Glock 26, standard cap 10+1. Add a Mag extension with a +2 base plate, and you have 12+1 of whatever HP/JHP 9mm load you want. I find the G26 a little on the thicker side for carry, but very concealable.

Either way, keep safe.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:09 AM   #7
RamSlammer

Quote:
a smallish, concealable, relatively high-capacity semi-auto
Hmm . . . I do have a CZ 82. Maybe 12+1 of 9mm Mak would be a happy middle ground. It's a bit heavy for the size . . . need to go holster shopping maybe.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:43 AM   #8
hillbillyshooter

I know you said, "Assuming legal carry is permissable," but before you think to much about it, I don't think it is. I know that BB&Ts usually have signs stating no guns allowed. I would ask your superior and see what that person says. It may be tech. legal where your at but there are several different banks where I live that are not gun friendly. Good luck.
Old December 12, 2008, 03:59 AM   #9
chris in va

Might want to look at a P01 for carry instead of the 75. It's heavy, I know.
Old December 12, 2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Don H

There is no federal law prohibiting carry in banks. Some states do prohibit it though.
Old December 12, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Spenser

One thing that I'm learning the more I carry is that unless the gun is accessible, you might as well leave it at home in a drawer. And I mean on your belt as far as being accesible.

I quite frequently resort to an ankle holster. However, I'll do it only if I can't carry on the belt (preferred) or the pocket (second option). My reasoning in using the ankle rig is that I'd prefer to have it somewhere close to me than not at all. However, there's no way I'm getting to that pistol in a hurry, if I need it. It's better than nothing, but it ain't fast.

This was dramatically illustrated to me a few months ago. The Glock 27 was riding snugly in its ankle holster, and I was wearing jeans. We had left a sporting event downtown, and were in the parking lot getting to our car. I like to think I have good situational awareness, and I didn't notice anybody in the area. The cars were tightly parked together, and it was fairly well-lit.

But somehow, I missed the guy walking around between the parked cars. He appeared literally at my elbow, from around back of the car. He was obviously a panhandler, and he proceeded to hit me up for change.

He was harmless, thankfully, but I did learn a couple of things. I never knew he was there until he was literally in my personal space. That scared me. No matter how aware you think you are, lapses in concentration happen, and things just flat-out get missed.

The second thing I learned was that my pistol might as well have been 1000 miles away. No way could I have drawn quick enough to do any good in that situation.

So I've made up my mind the ankle holster is going to be the last resort as far as carrying. I could see the same problem with carrying in a briefcase or off-body.

Last edited by Spenser; December 12, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old December 12, 2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Dwight55

Ram, . . . when I first started CCW, . . . my pick was a 1911, all steel, full sized, . . . with 8 rd Wilson mags.

First hurdle to get over was my belt, . . . it was not good enough for that job. My double thickness, stitched dress belt WILL carry it.

Second hurdle was the holster, . . . I have one similar to a VM2, . . . it is fully comfortable for a 16 hr day, . . . provided I am not standing in place for long times.

There are multitudinous 9mm handguns carrying 8 or 9 rounds in a slim, light weight, single stack, . . . maybe look into one of those.

I would prefer the semi over the revolver only for the quickness of reload, . . . which can be a real pain when the 5 shooter is MT.

There was a re-enactment of that exact scenario on America's Most Wanted some time back, . . . off duty cop, . . . 5 shooter in ankle holster, . . . got his piece out, . . . was made by bg, . . . gun battle ensued, . . . cop lived, but I believe he was shot up, . . . didn't have the reload.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 12, 2008, 06:02 PM   #13
scorpion_tyr

If performance and skills with both weapons are equal go .357
Old December 12, 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
troy_mclure

even if your bank says no cary its usualy a simple tresspass charge.
but i would check into your state laws too.

the .357 is better than nothing, which is what you would have if the gun were in your breif case.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 12, 2008, 09:04 PM   #15
kesda

When I took my CC course in NC, we were informed that banks along with any government property, any educational facilities, and hospitals were off limits legally for concealed carry. They did say that it's a misdemeanor charge if caught, not a felony. As the manager of several branches who frequently works after hours, I have been thinking long and hard about odds. What are the odds we'll be robbed or I'll be attacked when entering/leaving, what are the odds I'll get caught with a concealed gun, etc.

I don't carry inside the branch as its banned, but I do keep a gun in my car and think I might start carrying after hours as I stand the greatest risk when leaving late at night.

Thoughts?
Old December 12, 2008, 10:00 PM   #16
MaxHeadSpace

Ankle holster will make you walk funny, no matter what you have in it. Even empty, an ankle rig will affect your gait.

Unless you can hide the ankle rig unside a boot top, there's no way it won't "print" sooner or later. And it will draw attention, because your gait is strange and people will look at your feet to figure out why.

There's no way an ankle rig is "accessible" in most senses of the term. You either need to kneel down, or bring your ankle up toward your waist. Either one is problematic if you need to pay attention to defense and not to your balance.

No specific laws about carry in banks, but banks often have rules. Because banks are federally licensed/sanctioned, violating bank firearms rules has every potential of being viewed as more than "civil contempt" -- which is the typical infraction for carry on a store premises where "no guns" is posted.
Old December 14, 2008, 05:36 PM   #17
RamSlammer

I've done some checking and there are no state laws against bank carry in the states where I work - which also reciprocate with mine. Would be subject to the "no guns sign", but there aren't any in the banks I work in.

For now, I'm going to carry the .357 on me IWB with 2 reloads in Bianchi speed strips. It's a Taurus 605 - one that works and one that I shoot well with. At 17 ounces it's carryable.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Ropin4gold

How about BOTH. Also for what its worth I have worn my backup gun on my ankle for the past 5 years and no one is the wiser. With a proper holster it does not print or "alter my gait". I have a G27 in a Galco ankle glove or a 360PD. If you try and pull this off with a fobus, sure you are going to have problems.
Old December 15, 2008, 01:09 PM   #19
kiov

I also ankle carry a kahr MK9. It doesn't print or alter my gait. I've checked with friends and no one can spot it.

I often play poker in bars. I can draw it easily under the table if needed--more easily than a belt gun. I also practice kneeling, pulling the pant leg up, and drawing. Its pretty fast. Not as good as belt carry if standing, but I got love handles that make that uncomfortable.

One option if surprised, it to surprise them back. Fall down as if having a heart attack or stroke, turn away from the threat as you roll in a ball, drawing your ankle weapon as you do. When he comes over to check you out, SURPRISE! Ok, maybe not that practical, but I got the idea from a guy who actually did this. With some practice its possible to do pretty well. This one's easier if its dark.

I carry at my bank, and have never seen any signs here in CO.
Old December 16, 2008, 07:39 AM   #20
razorburn

If bank hold ups are common in your area I really urge you to get your promoter to install some serious safety gear- thick, rifle-stopping bullet proof glass with a dip window and armed guards- or to find one of the banks that already has those precautions.

Bank robbers tend to be different from your quickie gas station- $60 beer money robbers. It's a federal crime with a much more severe punishment, so they're after very large sums of money and often come in very well prepared.
Old December 16, 2008, 11:41 AM   #21
RamSlammer

Most bank robberies have little drama. They're typically "note jobs" where the robber hands the teller a note claiming to have a gun, knife, etc. and demanding money. Tellers are trained to comply whether a weapon is seen or not. Then there are the "gun wavers" who rarely fire a shot and typically surrender if confronted by an armed security guard or police.

I have a hilarious security cam video where a middle aged, very overweight woman (with curlers in her hair no less) came in waving a Jennings .25 then slipped down on her way out dropping the money and gun both of which she left without.

There has been an increase lately of what had been a very rare type of robbery . . . Multiple, well armed robbers who go for the day vault in addition to the teller drawers. They are usually young and can turn violent easily. Also a big increase in armed robberies of customers and employees leaving the buildings as well as carjackings of drive up ATM customers. There have even been armed robberies of folks waiting in their cars in drive up teller lines in broad daylight.

I usually work in back offices of various bank locations. Should a robber come into that area of a bank, it's usually not good. While I could care less about them getting insured money and wouldn't think of drawing to stop them from robbing the bank, I don't want to be a hostage in a standoff. Also would act to stop imminent harm to customers, employees or myself especially. My original concern was that 5 shots plus a reload in a snub isn't being very well armed in case things get ugly. I'd prefer a hi-cap semi auto with a couple of reloads.

Going to look into a lighter, compact carry gun that still has good capacity. Maybe something like a Glock 19, FNP9 or similar. The CZ 75 PCR holds some interest as well.
Old December 16, 2008, 11:51 AM   #22
troy_mclure

look at the xd's.
ive got a xd40 sc. i normally cary with the 9rd mag but ive got quite a few 12rd mags with the grip extenders.

also the "hated" taurus millenium pro is a decent gun as well.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 16, 2008, 03:44 PM   #23
alloy

current news...

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dw....6c28a227.html
Old December 23, 2008, 08:17 PM   #24
quinn2187

my opinion, and its just my opinion. if you carry a gun in a bank it is only for self defense, and not for apprehension. that being the case you are better off being a good witness. take in everything you can about the suspect(s) and their actions and clothing. the only time you will need one is to defend an attempt at your life and in that case it better be extreamly quick to get to and have some stopping power. there are a lot of smallish guns, i like the springfield xd .40 mentioned in one of the post. you should never attempt to apprehend a bank robber just cause your there and you have a gun, that should be left to the police armed with an excellent witness statement.