The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Tacman

338 Lapua ?s

First time that I am going to be working with this caliber. At this time I haven't purchased a single stage press because I have worked with progressives for close to 15 years. I have not bought componets other than brass. Everthing else I have including a new Sako TRG 42 that will be waiting for me when I get home from the sandbox.

I am looking for recommendations on press selection, ( I am leaning towards the RCBS Rock Chucker), bullet and powder selections, etc.

Zero will be 600 and will be stretching out as often as possible.

Thanks
Old July 24, 2008, 05:35 AM   #2
Whisper 300

Currently using Forster press for the 338 LM and it is a dream to use- also have Rock Chucker on the same bench but the Oooomph needed is not worth it compared to the Forster, So my recommendation is that if you have not yet purchased a press, look closely and do a bit of research re:which press and you might just like the Forster a bit better even though it is a slight bit pricier.

Re: the actual reloading, shop around for your brass and bullets- did see Lapua brass for under 200 for 100 cases and bought Sierra 300 gr, HPBT in a bulk 500 pack for a very reasonable? amount.

Go with SLOW powders, I have good results with 3 or 4 but seem to gravitate to either Retumbo or Reloader 22.

Many forums for help and advice of needed.

Gary
Old July 24, 2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Tacman

Great Start

Thanks for the info Gary
Old July 29, 2008, 08:28 PM   #4
ForneyRider

Lapua Magnum is powerful caliber. I had good luck with RL22 for heavy magnums. I have some RL 25, but not tapped into it yet. RL powders are easier to measure than IMR. But IMR 7828 may be another powder to try. Hodgdon Retumbo is their ultra magnum powder.

When starting out with a new caliber, I usually buy factory ammo and then try to match it, then experiment with heavier/lighter depending on what I where I want to go with it.

E.g. I shoot 140gr 7mm Magnum and liked the performance. I looked up the ballistics (3200fps), then bought the bullet(Hornady) to match. Then I found a recipe that would get me close to that load. Then buy powder(RL22) to get me in that burn range. I tend to use Federal (215M) and CCI primers.

250gr Sierra MatchKing, 250gr Lapua Scenars. Norma and Lapua make brass.

You getting a canted set of ring/mounts for those long shots?

Can't go wrong with RCBS Rockcrusher. You can get a RCBS kit for 250$ with powder measure, scale, book and other pieces to get started. RCBS, Redding, Forster, Lyman and Hornady make dies for .338 Lapua.

If I ever shoot out my barrel on my 7mm Magnum. I am going with Lapua or Remington Ultra Mag.
Old July 29, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Funny thing I have never heard one of the numerous combat troops I know ever referring to Iraq as the "sandbox"

WildjustanasideAlaska TM
Old July 29, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6
joneb

Quote:
Funny thing I have never heard one of the numerous combat troops I know ever referring to Iraq as the "sandbox"
The poster never said he/she was in the military.
Old July 29, 2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Shoney

But he does list his location as Baghdad!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 29, 2008, 11:43 PM   #8
joneb

Quote:
But he does list his location as Baghdad!
But are there not nonmilitary Americans/Allies in Baghdad or did I miss something
Old July 30, 2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Tacman

Thanks for the input guys. Whisper I liked the looks of the Forster press you recommended and Forney thanks for the powder choices. A good place to start so, many thanks.

Yeah Forney I'll be putting at least a 20 minute base on this thing. The Sako made mount is pricy but apparently worth the 4 bills it costs. Still researching and not getting in a hurry for the optics options, but I am leaning towards a US Optics fixed 10x.

A side note for WildAlaska. If you want to get into a debate on someones character you had better come more prepared than "Funny thing I have never heard one of the numerous combat troops I know ever referring to Iraq as the "sandbox" How many is numerous? I talk with 100 plus per day. Have lived here voluntarily helping the warfighters 7 days a week 16 hours a day, been deployed outside of CONUS since 2004 in various 3rd world S**tholes and have been home for less time than you have sat on the toilet in those four years. So before you get into someones post contributing nothing the subject matter and start critiqueing their use of the various slang terms used for things outside of your realm, maybe you should take a minute and ask yourself one simple question. "Does what I am about to say matter?" If you even remotely think it doesn't, erase it, move on and go bother somebody else.

As for what I do I have included a pic with one months worth of the guns we couldn't fix. Some blown up, some burned, some still with blood on them. This is not even a 10th of the weapons we fix monthly and send back out into the fight after repairs. I did my time in the Corp and have now wasted more time on you than I care to. Best Regards!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retro 2small.jpg (70.1 KB, 44 views)