Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 22, 2007, 08:58 AM   #101
Traveler01

All you can be

I think I am confused....too....
But is there some slight on Rangers??
Did I miss something?
Cause I would take that kinda personal.....

think coin check.......think poor attitude.......

"Be..all that you can Be......"

"....been,... all that you can ....be....."
Make no mistake,it is "One Nation,Under GOD...."
Old November 22, 2007, 02:35 PM   #102
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler01
I think I am confused
Well, Traveler, this isn't the first time I've seen this. This could be a sign that the guy really needs help.

For example, lots of guys sit and schmooze with me while I'm sharpening their knives. For some reason, guys tend to 'open up' at gunshops or to their barber or their bartender.

Case in point, one of my clients, a truly nice guy, informed me that he was having disturbing dreams. I will add this, he is younger than me, hence in no way part of the WWII generation.

He stated that these repeated dreams denoted that he was an ace fighter pilot from the Army Air Corps, and had been sent forward in time to teach combat to the peaceful inhabitants of Middle Earth.

Being a graduate of the drooling academy, I can tell you that when someone uses the term dream, what he might be trying to do is innocently informing you about disturbing thoughts he is having while awake.

There is a very fine membrane between thought and deed at this level.

A guy may never have been a soldier, but he admires them. While most people do admire soldiers everyday, a guy like this might wear bits and snatches of a uniform for camouflage while hunting. Then he might wear camo pants in public, or buy a beret.

As his interest in military things grows, he might buy a 1911, and take a combat class.

At this point he has the ability to be "combat ready" and he fancies himself a 'warrior.' As stated, the dividing line between reality and flights of fancy is a very fluid membrane. In his new reality, he is as good as a Ranger, in fact, his training makes him a Ranger equivalent. It makes him a Ranger.

Unless you actual soldiers know of combat operations in Alberta, Canada, which allow the easy access to pistols, I think this guy is an example of the problem.

The wandering speech, the 'insider lingo,' the anger expressed because someone doubts his word, seem to point to a guy who needs the status of a warrior. Something has spooked this guy, and he needs his warrior side to survive.

I know this mental condition very well. At the height of my latest episode, my wife told me I rambled for an entire day about the leaves and twigs in our rain gutters. I claimed that the debris would build up and rot our roof, seemingly in one or two days.

I had uncontrollable fear from anxiety. And not finding something real to fear, I created the situation of my home crumbling.
Old November 22, 2007, 10:21 PM   #103
Traveler01

What...?

Ok now I am lost..
today I took all my meds....I ate a good meal.....enjoyed my family ....but I am lost here in this cyberspace, not understanding your point.
............what?
Make no mistake,it is "One Nation,Under GOD...."
Old November 22, 2007, 10:46 PM   #104
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler01
but I am lost here in this cyberspace, not understanding your point.
You seemed confused by his ramblings.

I think Canuck is an innocent chairborne ranger.

BTW, I also had a good Thanksgiving. My relatives were 80 wonderful miles away, house was quiet, the Packers won, I made a few bucks at work and my home is still peaceful.

I figure about midnight I will don my 'mindset' and a ghilli suit I made myself from a cheese grater and bubble wrap and patrol my porch.

You never know, the Canadians might try a surprise attack whilst we are full of turkey...
Old November 22, 2007, 11:29 PM   #105
kgpcr

Whether you call it Warrior Expert, Pre-Battle Veteran or simply "well trained", the days of having had to have "seen the elephant" to answer many of the questions you pose are gone....

What the hell is a PRE BATTLE VETRAN?? Warrior Expert?? I call it Rambo Wannabies or Mall Ninja security people.
Pre Battle Vetran is a term only a fool would use! While not all vetrans have been in combat they deserve respect for standing in the gap. As for being a Pre Battle Vetran that is assinine at best. after the best training the Marine Corps could give me battle was like nothing i could imagine. If you dont think Marines are trained well look at our history!
Smith M&P 40
Old November 23, 2007, 12:08 AM   #106
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpcr
What the hell is a PRE BATTLE VETRAN?? Warrior Expert??
Careful, you're bringing "logic" into the debate.

And trust me, I have really tried to be polite--after all, I promised the mods in another thread. I've run out of ways to debate posers.

But KGPCR brings up a valid point, and it's an important one to consider.

This "warrior" drool is disrepectful to war veterans.

You can whine, jump around, sing a little tune, tell me that the sensei always compliments you at the dojo or any other crap answer to create credentials when there is none.

Smoking the 10-ring out of a silhouette target makes you, well, a very good target shooter, period. Wearing cammie pants while you are shooting the 10-ring simply makes you harder to see.

Right now, we have a very serious, and poor constructed war in Iraq. Our children are dying while Washington fiddles and Halliburton counts its money.

Most of those soldiers have done more than their time, and they want to come home.

It appears that some of you who debate here claim that you like to fight. You boast of your "mindset" and claim I do not understand the 'warrior' that beats within your breast.

Well, Mr. Cammie Pants, take your mindset, the 1911 you sleep with and your metric ton of battle courage and get the hell out there and kill Iraqis.

Send a tired man home who has already silently done his service.

And here's a personal note to the Mods here at TFL. I like this place. I consider this my home forum. I try to write fun things and answer debates in a polite fashion that is thought provoking.

But I have to be honest with you. Some of these 'mindset veterans' make me gag. I don't see a dime's bit of difference between their carping and a RUB who claims to own a 200 MPH Sportster.

I'm having a hard time choking down the reams of rubbish I read here and being polite. I know the old adage, "don't feed the trollls." However, there seems to be a perfectly valid aspect here in discussing very real safety and security. In not challenging that, the poser wins.

I know you couldn't show a veteran disrespect at my bike shop.
Old November 23, 2007, 12:12 AM   #107
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

All right guys. I think Sweatnbullets started this to stir some serious introspection into our mental preparedness for a defensive encounter, but this has gotten way off topic.

Not only has it become a battle over mere semantics, it's also beginning to get a little too personal (even though Canuck's post left me scratching my head as well )

Time to close this one, methinks, although the gist of this thread is well worth further, honest contemplation by each of us, in the privacy of our own thoughts.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread