The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Smokey Joe

.45ACP; 2 questions

My latest pistol is a 1911; have been trying to learn to shoot it well. (Progressing slowly.) Of course I reload for it; I'm an experienced reloader but have done only mebbe 1000 .45's so far.

With .45ACP most of the brass I reload and shoot is range pick-ups, so I have quite an assortment of headstamps. They all work, both shooting and reloading, and @ my skill level with the 1911 I see no difference in accuracy with any of 'em.

Question 1: I've noticed that some of the cases have flash holes mebbe 1/2 again as large as all the rest. These are Speer, Federal, and CCI cases. The standard wisdom @ my ranges is "load 'em up and shoot 'em," and I have not noticed any problems. so:

a. Why the larger holes? Should I expect some change in accuracy?

b. Am I asking for trouble of some sort, down the line, in using these large-flash-hole cases?

Question 2: Found one piece of A-merc brass in the .45's I was sizing today. Have heard that A-merc's quality is poor, and noticed that the flash hole was off center. Since it was just one piece, I crushed its mouth and recycled it to the scrap bucket. But what's the deal with A-merc brass, anyway? Again, should I expect some change in accuracy, and am I asking for trouble if I use A-merc brass?

Thx in advance to all.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 21, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
azredhawk44

You'll get a bit of velocity variation with the different sized holes. Maybe 50 fps or so would be my guess.

More unburnt powder exiting the barrel in the form of a fireball.

For range plinking below 75 feet, not a big deal. For SD loads, you would want to uniform the primer flash holes for maximum ignition. Hornady makes a good tool for this, kinda like a torx screwdriver.
Old March 21, 2006, 01:09 PM   #3
tjhands

Re: AMERC brass for .45acp.........

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=amerc

When a full 80% of reloaders say it SUCKS.....it sucks. Once in a while one will slip by me and make it to the point of being loaded into a magazine. That's as far as it makes it; it either fails to feed, fails to fire, or fails to eject. In the trash it goes. Those are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones are weeded out loooong beforehand. Do NOT use AMERC brass. Pure filth. :barf:
Old March 21, 2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Wow!!

Tjhands--Just read the responses posted at the link you gave--Holy Toledo! I have NEVER seen such unanimous hatred and animosity. I guess I'd better believe!

Thx for the responses, Tj and Azredhawk44!

--Smokey Joe