The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
dds115

Sig P238

I have had my CHL for about 3 months, and after waking up to that horrible news a few days ago of the Colorado shooting, I decided I want to carry on a regular basis. My fullsized Sig 2022 wasn't going to cut it. Its summer, it was 108 degree outside yesterday, so I decided I will start with a pocket carry. I went with the Sig P238. It is "expensive" for a pocket carry (compared to a SW Bodyguard or LCP).

I love this gun so far. I put 112 rounds (.380) through it yesterday (100 Monarch JHP, and 12 Hornady Critical Defense). The gun is ultra accurate and recoil is less than I expected for such a small gun. After my next range outing I'll give a better review, but all in all, I'm happy to be carrying such a nice piece.

When the temperature dies down a bit I may look into getting a larger caliber to carry, but for now this is what I'm working with.

MY QUESTION: Is carrying this (in a pocket holster) in condition 1 the best option? I know for a 1911 that is what is considered the standard, is it the same with a game without a grip safety? Thanks!
Old July 24, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Technosavant

Pocket holster in condition 1 is how I carry mine.

There's no grip safety, but there is a thumb safety and it works fine.

I'd not want to try to cock the hammer in the heat of the moment.

I agree that it's a fine gun- not inexpensive when compared to some others in the same size/caliber, but its recoil is extremely manageable. I found the aftermarket Alumagrips to be a nice step up from the stock plastic ones (the Crimson Trace laserguard is also a nice addition); the stock plastic grips just didn't give enough purchase for my huge mitts.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
KyJim

Yes, cocked and locked but make sure you use a pocket holster.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Ruark

Absolutely cocked and locked, but I use a small OWB belt holster. I frequently practice drawing and dry-firing, clicking the safety off as I draw. Usually, starting with my arms at my sides, I can draw and put 2 holes in a sheet of typing paper at 8 feet in well under 1 second. Ammo is Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hardcast.

Last edited by Ruark; July 25, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old July 24, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
dds115

Thanks for bringing up my next point... what kind of SD ammo do you guys like? With the smaller bullet I would think the heavier bullets would be preferred. I know Buffalo Bore has some 100 gr. That is the heaviest I've seen. What do you guys think?
Old July 24, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
KyJim

I just use a FMJ, usually 90 gr., in order to insure penetration. The only hollow point I would consider using is Hornady Critical Duty (not Critical Defense). http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Aut...tical-Defense/
Old July 24, 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
MagnumWill

I keep my 238TL in condition one, pocket holster. So far, it's snarfed up every kind of ammo I give it. I keep the critical defense in it now, but some Hydra-Shoks would do very well...
Old July 25, 2012, 03:57 PM   #8
dds115

As I stated i the OP, I am new to carrying. I am a very "safe" person when it comes to guns. When in say, a movie theater, my gun will be cocked and locked basically aimed at the person's head in front of me. What is the best way to approach this. I know the safety is on and such, but I always go by the never point at something you don't intend to destroy. What do you guys do in a situation like this?
Old July 25, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Technosavant

Quote:
What do you guys do in a situation like this?
If you're going to follow that rule that strictly, there's no possible way to carry a firearm without muzzle sweeping something you don't want shot... usually it will be your leg, sometimes it will be other people (depending on angles), sometimes the car dashboard, etc.

IMO, if you're worried about the hammer slipping off the sear and igniting a round, you'll need to either put that fear to rest through studying the design or you'll need to find a different gun to carry.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
vyse.04

Quote:
IMO, if you're worried about the hammer slipping off the sear and igniting a round, you'll need to either put that fear to rest through studying the design or you'll need to find a different gun to carry.
Great advice. There are so many different firearms available that just about anyone can find something they trust/like. For extreme safety, maybe a J Frame (complete with heavy DA pull) would be a good choice.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:25 PM   #11
CDR_Glock

I carry Condition 1 for a Sig P938 or P238.

Pocket holster, usually.

Ammo: Buffalo Bore 90 grain Plus P.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
dds115

Quote:
IMO, if you're worried about the hammer slipping off the sear and igniting a round, you'll need to either put that fear to rest through studying the design
Your're right. Just new to me so I guess it still freaks me out. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with as time goes on.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
5R milspec

if a pocket holster doesn't work out for ya.then I would look into a holster that you can carry behind the waist band.then the safety would be at your back and harder for it to be moved.( thats if you are right handed )

but for me right now when I carry my wifes little P238 I just carry with a pocket holster.I have never thought about the people in front of me.( even at church )
Old July 27, 2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Olympus

This is the rig I use when not pocket-carrying. Kelley C-Flex worn at 4:30 position and it's almost nonexistent. Highly recommend.

Old July 27, 2012, 06:33 PM   #15
G1R2

Nice set-up.

Dear RUARK,

Nice set-up ya got. What cover garment do you use?
Old July 31, 2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Ruark

"Nice set-up ya got. What cover garment do you use?"

Oh, anything. Whatever works. I don't make a lifestyle out of CCW. 99% of the time it's just a roomy tropical shirt. If for some reason I'm tucked in, I use a pocket holster.
Old July 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

Friend has one and carries it Condition 1 in a pocket holster. He shot it at an IDPA match and did very well. It wouldn't knock down a steel popper to activate a swinger though.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:31 PM   #18
ps94515

Newbie to the forum. Also, newbie to the p238 (3 months). I carry it C1, OWB. Love this gun. Recently put new grips on it...

Old November 16, 2012, 10:43 PM   #19
AdrianVall

I pick up my new Sig P238 SAS tomorrow. Super excited. Once my concealed license gets here, I'll be pocket carrying in front right pocket in a Desantis nemesis holster.