The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1
okiefarmer

AK will digest about anything

Have been tryi9ng out some cast loads in my built AK. Using that RCBS 7.62 SP, 130 GC mold, looks just like military ball ammo. Loading it on top of some AA2200 I have had for years. I just wanted some plinker loads, and was afraid low power loads might not function the action. Recommended loads for both 125 and 150 on AA loadchart is 29.5 (compressed load). I am clear down to 25 grains and the thing is still flinging brass everywhere. I was hoping I could drop them all in a smaller circle, but it ain't gonna happen with that brass beatin' tool.

Just an observation as so many gas guns are very picky about their loads and having enouh pressure to extract and strip a fresh one from mag.

Okie out
Old September 10, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
steve4102

It's not pressure as in chamber pressure that cycles the action of a semi-auto. It is "Port Pressure" which has nothing to do with chamber pressure.

Fast powders produce little port pressure yet can still produce extreme chamber pressure, verse-visa slow powders can produce extreme port pressure along with low chamber pressure. It's all about the burn rate and how much gas the powder sends down the barrel after it has burned.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
okiefarmer

Yeah, I just used the term pressure, understand it is port pressure though. Point was, I loaded this AA2200 in .223 yars back and had to hold up near Accurate's top end of charge weights to get an AR-15 A1 to function reliably, and this was with jacketed projos. I am running low on my $.07/rd milsurp X39, and decidede to try the mold I bought 10 yars ago. Only reason I never started casting for my AKs was 7 cents a pop milsurp was cheaper. Things have definitely changed.

40 some years ago, before the advent of the innerweb and all this shared reloading knowledge, Dad and I cast some .224 for the A-1, and had fits getting lead to reliably function in that gas gun. I was expecting the same, but I guess the stories about the AK running through rain, mud, ****, or blood is true. I started sizing at .310 (w/gc), thinking I can likely go to .311 easily.

If I can make some poodle shooting loads that function, I can get my grandson out sooner I hope.

okie out