The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
unit 900

Savage 69 R-H Shotgun

I have had this 12 ga. shotgun since about 1976. The barrel and receiver is done in a matte black finish with a bead sight, while the trigger group appears to be anodized aluminum or semi gloss steel. It was a Prince George County Md. police issue (marked on stocks) weapon. I have been unable to find much, if anything about the Savage 69 R-H via the Internet. Any info would be appreciated. Pics follow

Last edited by unit 900; November 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
TxGun

Here's a little bit of info:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-137115.html

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=7725

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=5579

From this site: http://www.pmulcahy.com/pump-action_...otguns_s-z.htm :

Notes: First appearing in 1958 in 12 gauge as a long-barreled sporting shotgun, the Model 30 later appeared in 20 gauge and .410 gauge. The design was also licensed by Springfield and sold by them as the Model 67, and by Stevens (which itself later became a subsidiary of Savage Firearms) as the Model 77, both of which were nearly identical to the Savage 30. Therefore, this particular shotgun can also be found with names like the Savage-Stevens 77 and Savage-Stevens 30. For the most part, the Savage, Springfield, and Stevens guns were virtually identical in appearance and functioning (differences were mostly cosmetic and related to the finish) and may be regarded as identical for game purposes. As with most shotguns of this time period, metalwork was largely steel, feed was by a 4-round tubular magazine, and woodwork was of mid-quality walnut. Barrels were 26, 28, or 30 inches; choke was fixed, but barrels could be ordered with Cylindrical, Modified, or Full Choke. Sling swivels were optional. Original models had no sights of any kind, but later an optional front bead was added near the muzzle.

After the Savage-Stevens merger, the company produced a 20-inch-barrel police version, the Model 69R (also known as the Police Riot Gun), and a military version, the Model 77E. Both of these were virtually identical, with the Model 69R having a shiny finish for its metalwork, while the Model 77E had dull metalwork. The Model 77E at first got no military orders, but the US military found itself short of shotguns early in the Vietnam War, particularly for issue to militia and village defense forces loyal to the South Vietnamese government. In addition, some troops purchased the Model 77E on their own dime for use in Vietnam.

The Model 77E in particular, and even to some extent the Model 69R, suffered from one large complaint – the small size of its tubular magazine. In addition, there were also complaints that both weapons were a bit too long, particularly the Model 77E. This resulted in the Savage 69-RXL, unfortunately not introduced until 1982. Also known as the Stevens 68-RXL, the Model 69-RXL shortened the barrel to 18.24 inches, extends the magazine to near the end of the muzzle, adds a ventilated rubber recoil pad, strengthens the receiver and bore to allow the use of 3-inch shells, and makes the bead front sight standard. The optional sling swivels also became standard, and were in addition made quick-detachable. The barrel generally has a fixed Cylindrical choke. Metalwork finish is dull metal or Parkerized, and the wooden stock is usually finished dark. Today, the Model 69-RXL is in use by many police departments in the US, and is considered a substitute standard in the US military.

Last edited by TxGun; November 18, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
DRice.72

Fascinating, as I have a model 77D.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...58&postcount=3

Last edited by DRice.72; November 18, 2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add picture
Old November 18, 2009, 04:00 PM   #4
unit 900

Thanks Tx, I appreciate the info and the link. I spent a long police career with a Remington 870 with a 4 round tubular magazine and felt quite happy to have it.
Old June 25, 2011, 04:24 PM   #5
slobro4700

can someone please help me?

I just got a savage arms model 69R-H and I wanna change the shoulder stock into a pistol grip and the pump into the handle grip but I don't know where to find or order the parts from...... I hope someone understand what I'm trying to find... please someone email me the link to any place that will have what I'm looking for thanx my email is [email protected]

Last edited by slobro4700; June 25, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: wrong email address
Old June 25, 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
TxGun

Good luck. The 69 series has been out of production for a while, and even when it was being made, it was never anywhere near as popular as the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Specialty/aftermarket parts like you want are not going to be easy to find. Not saying impossible, but if they were ever available, they were never common.