The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 19, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
bswiv

Who knew they did this.......

So we went out to the woods yesterday ( Palatka, Fl. ) to check the game cams, ride the fence and put up some posted signs. In one area where I stoped the truck to check a spot where the brother in law had tossed some corn, Louann said that instead of going to look at the corn she was going to pick a few of the blackberries that were along the road.

I'd walked about a hundred yards down the road when the yelling started. Wasn't scared sounding yelling but more "what the *&^%" followed by a order for me to get myself over to where she was to look at what you see in the pictures.

Now when you look at the pictures notice first that there are no ripe berries on the bush. And then think about why there might not be any ripe berries on that particular bush.

Yes, that's right.....she had already picked them when she realized he was there.

The last picture is worth a close look.......yes I know it's not all that easy to see him in it but what is important is to notice how far up in the bush he had climbed.

He was a good 2 FEET off the ground all coiled up waiting for......well I'm not sure exactly what he was waiting for......but there he was.

No we did not kill him.

And I must ask.......I mean I know they climb logs and the like.....but who knew a pygmy rattler would climb up in a blackberry bush like that.

Old June 19, 2011, 09:40 AM   #2
cornbush

Glad she is OK, that is a weird one, I would rank that on my ***? list.
Old June 19, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3
doofus47

"Live long enough, you'll see everything twice."

Well, maybe not that one...

Last edited by doofus47; June 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: to remove clarity
Old June 19, 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
MZ84

Woah. That gave me a cold chill. I know to look for snakes on the ground ... but in bushes? Oiy vey.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
bullethole1

I would of got a machete and cut it in half!
Old June 19, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Buzzcook

I wonder if he gets birds that way. It might also be a temperature control thing.

Pretty neat stuff. Glad no one got bit, those pygmies have attitude problems.
Old June 19, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
FrontSight

Jesus H Christ! Glad she didn't get bit...who the heck would have expected that?!
Old June 19, 2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Doyle

Typical pygmy rattler. You see them all balled up like that far more often than you see them stretched out.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:48 PM   #9
GeauxTide

Waiting for the birds to get a Blackberry.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:42 AM   #10
BIG P

Seen them on top of fence post & in a pile of barbed wire.Never in the barries.Man that could mess up a fellows shorts lol. At least it was'nt a 20' PYTHON.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:00 AM   #11
highvel

Darn good thing it wasn't an Diamondback under that bush, they tend to be a little grumpy when you interrupt their nap

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old June 20, 2011, 05:11 AM   #12
Maxem0815

Waite you will see them coiled up in a cactus. Fantastic pictures and glad she did not get bit. Now when I go hunting I think I put on my chaps.

Mace

Happiness is a belt fed weapon with lots of ammo
Old June 20, 2011, 06:34 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Wow. I've never seen any thing like that before.

I almost hate to ask, but what kind of snake was that?
Old June 20, 2011, 07:10 AM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
I almost hate to ask, but what kind of snake was that?
I already said earlier - pygmy rattler.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:48 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I already said earlier - pygmy rattler.
I missed that.... with that said, makes me hate snakes even more.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:04 AM   #16
GoOfY-FoOt

You guys watch too much T.V....
Quote:
At least it was'nt a 20' PYTHON.
Quote:
those pygmies have attitude problems
Quote:
they tend to be a little grumpy
The "big" snakes you see running around in Florida, simply don't exist. The pic of the one that ate the gator and "exploded" was only 10-12 ft. long.

If Pygmies have an attitude, how come the missus picked all those ripe berries and the snake didn't even move?

Easterns are always wary, and appear grumpy. They just want to be left alone. Now, moccasins, on the other hand, will chase you. They are beyond grumpy. More like pure evil.

Glad she avoided a confrontation, and thanks for the great pics. You just never know what you will see in the woods...
Old June 20, 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Doyle

Quote:
If Pygmies have an attitude, how come the missus picked all those ripe berries and the snake didn't even move?
Pygmies have a serious Napoleanic complex. They know they are small so they will try their best to hide out. However, if they know they've been made they'll become very aggressive. The good thing is that their small size severely limits their striking ability. If you go by the old rule-of-thumb that says 1/2 the snakes length, that only leaves about 9" of maximum strikeing distance.

The last one I saw near my house was crossing the street into my neighborhood. Not one to pass on an opportunity for target practice, I stopped and stood over him with my little Polish P-64 9x18. Took 4 shots to hit his little head. The first 3 shots all hit right next to it making him keep moving.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:28 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:

Easterns are always wary, and appear grumpy. They just want to be left alone. Now, moccasins, on the other hand, will chase you. They are beyond grumpy. More like pure evil.
I agree.

Most of the Pygmies I ran across just sat still, trying not to be noticed. If they did move, they took the quickest route away from the threat (human). I do know two people that were bitten by Pygmies, but they were "playing" with the snakes.

Eastern Diamondbacks had about the same attitude the pit vipers have out west: "Get out of my area. Leave me alone. Don't get me irritated."

Moccasins were a completely different story. They were fearless, and would directly approach a threat of any size. I used to keep two machetes handy in my back yard, so I could cut the heads off the moccasins when I saw them. ...And the alligator snapper living in my little "pond" really enjoyed the free meals.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:17 PM   #19
highvel

Cotton Mouths are a WHOLE different snake, they are evil and I've killed more than I can count.
Fishing on the Appomattox River and Swift Creek area of OL' Virginie will learn ya quick.
Shoot fast and keep you're eyes open all the time!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old June 20, 2011, 05:48 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

And that my friends is why you use a staff or a walking stick when you are in the bush. I have a staff, my Grandma was fond of a hoe. Shake the bushes and then pick. Seriously I never go into the woods or for a walk in the desert without my staff. I never had to hurt a rattle snake but it was a great comfort knowing it was between them and me. Never needed a knife, machete or a gun for snake duty.

Now if that had been my Grandma by the time you got there there would have pieces of snake all over the place. We didn't share the same view of our reptillian friends.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 20, 2011, 06:02 PM   #21
FrontSight

My mom was bitten by a European pit viper when she was working the farmlands at 17. Different snake, I know, and not as dangerous as a ratler, but since we're on the subject...

She's, curiously (), never been very fond of snakes since then, for some strange reason...
Old June 20, 2011, 06:16 PM   #22
kenno

Back in the day, in the places I traveled through, the snakes were in the trees, on tree trunks, climbing through vines and on the ground. It was VERY difficult to sleep at night, you had to learn that they were attracted to YOUR body heat and do NOTHING to upset them. Knowladge IS power. Learn all you can and you'll prevail, thrive.
Be fore warned, they can be in your bedroom closet. Buy a Mongoose, no more snakes
Old June 20, 2011, 06:26 PM   #23
FrontSight

kenno: May I ask, where, exactly, were your travelling through? Because I'd like to do my best to avoid that area...
Old June 20, 2011, 07:06 PM   #24
Buzzcook

Quote:
Buy a Mongoose, no more snakes
Unfortunately mongoose are not as good with rattle snakes as they are with cobras. King snakes will help keep your rattle snake population down.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:08 PM   #25
sc928porsche

Some species of snake are more agressive than others, but there is ALWAYS an exception. Ive had gopher snakes chase me and there was a western diamond back the never flinched untill I had a noose around him. In my high school years, I used to catch rattlers and take them to the college so they could be milked for their venom. I got 1 to 3 dollars a piece. Its a wonder that 1/2 of us ever survived our childhood!