The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2019, 08:56 AM   #76
scatterbrain

CW

Cw, edit die to be case, might change the post.
Old January 29, 2019, 11:07 AM   #77
cw308

scatter
What does TIR stand for ? I did change post but I'm still lost . Nothing wrong with asking about something I don't know .

Last edited by cw308; January 29, 2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 29, 2019, 01:18 PM   #78
scatterbrain

Total Indicator Reaading

This is the term used to indicate how much something is out of round with the axis such as coupling alignment on machinery. If the indicator is zeroed at a point, the needle will move below zero and above zero as the Dial Indicator is rotated about the shaft, the plus reading and the minus reading are added together to give Total Indicator Reading. We do the same thing to check the alignment of the neck to the two support points on the body of the case, and again after setting the bullet.
My point to this was that there seems to be more influence of the sizing button on the alignment of the case than the squareing of the die. I anneal my cases often and get uniform dimensions from my shot cases, and my resized cases. I measure four times in the loading process. BUT, I was getting random runout on small caliber cases. That's when I experimented on sizing without the button in the die. I have removed all buttons from my dies and use mandrels to size for the bullet, now 90% are within .0005 and the remaning are with in .0015.
Why do I not use bushing dies? I use brass that is not consistant on neck thickness, and don't want to.
Old January 29, 2019, 01:48 PM   #79
F. Guffey

And I was told everyone knew what the other was talking about therefore it did not matter if the correct term was used. I use the term JIC and then I fill in the blank minds of those that have no clue by adding 'just in case' in parenthesis. Before that there was a reloader that claimed the case had head space and all tools were head space gages like the case head space gage. It matter not the manufacturer of the case gage named the case gage 'A case gage' for over 70 years.

And then they labeled the case gage as a drop in gage. Me? NO, I used a straight edge and a feeler gage set to get accuracy down to .001". I also added an attachment with a dial indicator, that was when things really picked up and accuracy improved. Others? They are still stuck on the ideal the case gage is a case head space gage because they still believe the case has head space.

And I never believed it was SAAMIs fault because they meant to say the case had head space and they forgot to use the head space symbol in their case drawings.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; January 29, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old January 29, 2019, 04:00 PM   #80
scatterbrain

My tool of choice for checking alignment was a 6'' slide rule and a feeler gauge. Then when digital came along I had to use a Dial Indicator because noone knew what a slide rule was.
Old January 29, 2019, 06:21 PM   #81
hounddawg

Quote:
my tool of choice for checking alignment was a 6'' slide rule and a feeler gauge. Then when digital came along I had to use a Dial Indicator because noone knew what a slide rule was.

slide rule museum

actually scatter I have to wonder if you know what a slide rule is. I have a Picket N4-ES in my desk and while it is great for dividing, multiplying, and finding square roots I have no clue as how you would change the alignment of 2 holes bored in a piece of cast metal with it

but then you guys that claim you can align holes bored in a piece of cast metal are some magical fellas in my opinion
Old January 29, 2019, 07:26 PM   #82
scatterbrain

Check Not Change

Hounddawg, Pickets are nice yellow non ferious metal slide rules that could be used to calculate anything a calculator will do. In addition, it fit in my shirt pocket and resisted rain, sweat, dust and falls very well. Also worked to stir coffee, and spread mustard if needed (try that with your HP).
In the 80's I had heard that the younger engineers didn't know what a slide rule was so I went on a trek to get a supply of them. A large engineering supply house was the place to buy so I called to see if they had any, and to my suprise they said yes, had a large drawer full of them. So I make the drive to the city and asked to see their slide rules, the guy opened a drawer full of scales! He didn't know what a slide rule was. I then stopped at a small book store and asked the same question, the guy says maybe and went to check. He came back with not one but two Pickets covered in dust, said they would be makred down 1/2 price and come with a life time guartantee, I took both. Now I have a drawer full of them, and yes, I know how to use them.
I'm not one them guys who can realign two holes in a casting, I don't even agree to that as being a big problem.
Old January 29, 2019, 08:23 PM   #83
hounddawg

So how do you use a slide rule to align 2 holes bored in a cast metal frame? Curious minds want to know. Detailed steps please
Old January 29, 2019, 09:08 PM   #84
reynolds357

Quote:
So how do you use a slide rule to align 2 holes bored in a cast metal frame? Curious minds want to know. Detailed steps please
1. Place shell holder on ram.
2. Lower ram handle raising ram to highest point.
3. Screw die down until it begins to push ram down.
4. Lock die in place.
5. Raise handle lowering ram.
6. Place slide rule on top of shell holder.
7. Lower handle raising ram to highest point of travel.
(If you destroyed the slide rule, you got your adjustment right.)
Old January 29, 2019, 09:58 PM   #85
hounddawg

Quote:
1. Place shell holder on ram.
2. Lower ram handle raising ram to highest point.
3. Screw die down until it begins to push ram down.
4. Lock die in place.
5. Raise handle lowering ram.
6. Place slide rule on top of shell holder.
7. Lower handle raising ram to highest point of travel.
(If you destroyed the slide rule, you got your adjustment right.)
how could I have missed something that obvious

I am a bit disappointed though, I was looking forward to getting my old Pickett and moving holes in cast metal with it. That would be quite the bar trick

Last edited by hounddawg; January 29, 2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 29, 2019, 11:16 PM   #86
GWS

LOL! Now....I heard the Apollo commanders & pilots did that only they weren't holes they were lining up.....they were spheres, the Earth and the Moon....and supposedly they aimed quite well with it. They aimed their space craft and made it to the moon, then they aimed it back and made it home......using slide rules. Myth or truth I don't know......don't know what else they could have used.....in those days computers took up whole floors in university buildings......I know, I used one in Computer Science classes back then. They couldn't fit one of those in a tiny space craft. Ah....Fortran....those were the days! ....I've been trying hard to forget...especially the Moog synthesizer...what a sick invention that was.

I threw away my Pickett Slide Rule more than 40 years ago ......if we have a serious EMP we are screwed....who remembers how to use Picketts? Find me a "working" engineer who has been trained on one. Back to the dark ages we go. The liberals will be happy....we can all freeze to death in the dark.

EMP ....electromagnetic pulse.

BTW....I never seen a Pickett that would fit in my shirt pocket. Small ones were nearly a foot long.

Last edited by GWS; January 29, 2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old January 30, 2019, 09:15 AM   #87
scatterbrain

Pickeit 600-T

Description on the box: about this rule; 19 color-coded scales provide a 30 inch log/log range. All trig scales off slide A, high capacity pocket version of the most powerful dual base rules.
I would take a photo of them with boxes, but I would need your address to mail it to you.
Old January 30, 2019, 09:20 AM   #88
hounddawg

Quote:
Description on the box: about this rule; 19 color-coded scales provide a 30 inch log/log range. All trig scales off slide A, high capacity pocket version of the most powerful dual base rules.
I would take a photo of them with boxes, but I would need your address to mail it to you.
so how is it used to move the bored holes in a piece of cast iron/aluminum and wouldn't those holes be aligned anyway since they were most likely through bored in a single operation at manufacture ?
Old January 30, 2019, 06:22 PM   #89
cw308

scatter
Thanks for explaining TIR , you must be an engineer . If it wasn't for baseball I'd still be in High School. I feel I have a good handle on reloading without being so technical . Thanks again .

Chris